Just got back from Minnesota | The Boneyard

Just got back from Minnesota

Reaction Score
Thought I might offer some observations, having seen the game in person. Saw the post-game thread is locked, so I guess not.

Reaction Score
Just got back online and realized, to my surprise that some people were thinking about what I'd posted. Okay, a few thoughts:
The Barn, which is what they call Williams Arena, is a hulk of a place, not especially comfortable to sit in. It is, in a word, old. The folks who run it do visiting fans no favors by not printing any kind of program or roster sheet. I asked, and they told me to go on my phone, that sine COVID they haven't done it. Another way people have cut costs and services in the name of the pandemic! Anyway, there were lots of UConn fans scattered through the building. I don't make any effort to reach out to them because I was with my daughter's family -- all living in Minnesota -- and was providing commentary to my grandson, who had never seen a basketball game (and loved it!).

As for the game, Edwards puzzles me. For periods of time -- a loot in the NC State game and a little in this one -- she reverts to the sophomore Edwards. Sloppy pass catching, missed layups, stuff like that. Then she came back big-time in the third quarter, and was an important part of the burst that cemented UConn's win. As I said in another post, the team looked sluggish with Bueckers at the point. This may be because she is always looking for the pass, rather than thinking about taking the shot first.

I don't know whether she'd be this way in a full fame, but Arnold sure looked good while she was in. She's fast, does in-your-face defense as well as anyone, and generally looks like she belongs. Samuels was not in the game for long stretches, but she looked good while she was in. Shade played her usual manic style, and did not look out of place.

All of this was against a Minnesota team that has some decently-sized but slow players up front. Their problem is that those players also tend to be their good three-point shooters. I thought their team looked better when they brought in a couple of pesky, smaller guards who got the whole bunch moving. I kept thinking that if they had a big player who really could stay in the middle, they'd be much improved. Of course, you could say that about UConn as well.

I've seen the first three games on TV and now this one in person, and I'm afraid UConn looks like a team that plays down to its opponent. Most days, they will be good enough to win, but sometimes, the opponent is better than as advertised (a la NC State). And sometimes, the opponent is just plain good, which is what they are going to face tomorrow. No matter what their weaknesses, UCLA is a tough team, and UConn had better bring their A game if they are ton have any chance for a win. Here's hoping.....

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom