Just found this delightful nugget in my files. | The Boneyard

Just found this delightful nugget in my files.

swami7774

I know things.
Reaction Score
Mar 22, '91 Sellers slams Laettner_preview.jpg
That's all. Back to the Hurley-burly.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
View attachment 29654 That's all. Back to the Hurley-burly.
The best part is this still is from when he was diving on to the pile, not from the extra-curricular activity after the play.

Few people remember that Laettner had previously stomped on Sellers chest after play had stopped. Apparently that bothered Rod, but he was funny like that.

Reaction Score
Except, of course, for the outcome of the game.
I absolutely hated that game. Thats one that stuck with me for a long time. Of course there was the laetner last second shot but this game absolutely killed me! I was a kid and i was absolutely convinced we`d get payback and we lost by double figures and it wasnt even that close. Of course all the Duke demons were exercised in 99` and then put to bed for good in 04` so i really dont give a ! about Duke anymore either way. We made them our b#^ch enough times after that so im good.

Reaction Score
That penalty confused me then and still does now.

Has there been a comparable penalty since then? I get that it happened in what turned out to be the last game of UConn's season, so there was no "next game" for Sellers to sit out. To suspend him for his next NCAA tournament game instead of the first game the next season (or even the first conference game) was overly punitive.

Reaction Score
I was sitting in the Ueker seats in the Silverdome for that game. I never saw it happen. Had to wait to get back to CT. the next day to see the replay.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Listen to Packer describe it as if Laettner got killed:

Oh - only if that were the truth
I've disliked a lot of dirt bags in pro/college sports during my years but Laettner has to rank at the top
Man I wish he has pissed off Aaron Hernandez

Reaction Score
Laettner reacted like he deserved it. That ridiculous penalty, the start of the JC vs. Fatso and Fruit Loops feud. Billy Packer: "how did the refs miss that?" Because they're not sitting on the baseline like the camera man. Don't miss him one bit.

Reaction Score
UCONN fans realized at this moment that it would never be easy for Connecticut basketball. The fact this was such a big deal instead of retaliation for the times Sellers was fouled the entire game and never got a call. Dukes golden boy was punished for being a bully and this was unheard of. The 1999 Championship was a great moment for college basketball and nothing can take that away!

Reaction Score
If officials had the ability to review plays during is era, there would have been many ejections and few game winners....Then again, he plays for Duke

swami7774

I know things.
Reaction Score
Laettner reacted like he deserved it. That ridiculous penalty, the start of the JC vs. Fatso and Fruit Loops feud. Billy Packer: "how did the refs miss that?" Because they're not sitting on the baseline like the camera man. Don't miss him one bit.
Billy P-ACC-ker.

swami7774

I know things.
Reaction Score
And the penalty assessed an entire year later.
How Dook-ish was that? A suspension a full year later? Not that it mattered; we took care of the 'huskers with ease.

swami7774

I know things.
Reaction Score
UCONN fans realized at this moment that it would never be easy for Connecticut basketball. The fact this was such a big deal instead of retaliation for the times Sellers was fouled the entire game and never got a call. Dukes golden boy was punished for being a bully and this was unheard of. The 1999 Championship was a great moment for college basketball and nothing can take that away!
Nothing worth a damn is easy. Sometimes the toughest path is the best one. We proved that vs Dook. The Red Sox proved that vs the MFYs in '04.

Reaction Score
Has there been a comparable penalty since then? I get that it happened in what turned out to be the last game of UConn's season, so there was no "next game" for Sellers to sit out. To suspend him for his next NCAA tournament game instead of the first game the next season (or even the first conference game) was overly punitive.
Just our retroactive APR penalty, after we were whacked for it already.
See an NCAA pattern here?

Reaction Score
It’s the Duke Invitational baby....i can still hear that ! How sweet was that??

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom