Just for ships and giggles What if the Big 12 and Big East merged? | The Boneyard

Just for ships and giggles What if the Big 12 and Big East merged?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
No I don't think it could happen and no i'm not talking about the bottom of the Big 12 either and certainly most of the Big 12 will end up in the PAC10.

But what if you took the tradition of Texas, Okalahoma. Texas Tech or A&M and Ok State and merged that powerful football with the East coast media markets. That has to be something ESPN would throw tons of cash at. Adding Oklahoma and Texas would certainly be big for a pac 10 but giving them the East coast market? you would have to think that would be huge. And no the travel wouldnt be bad if it was separated into East and West divisions. It aint gonna happen but with the media secrecy of late who knows. all these teams keep saying they have talked to three leagues or so so who isnt to say something really strange might happen. It sounds far fetched but giving those schools the East Coast markets could do wonders for TV contracts and Eastern football.

And now back to my home brew for which I can thank this idiotic thought.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
As you said yourself, there is no chance of that happening.

At this point, the most obvious scenario is:

Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma,and Oklahoma St to the PAC16.

Then the SEC gobbles up Texas A&M, Missouri, West Virginia, & Pitt.

Then the Big 10 adds Notre Dame (finally), Kansas, Rutgers, & Louisville.

Then the ACC adds UConn and Syracuse(and stays at 14...the rest of the available teams don't bring anything additional to the conference).

The leftover BCS teams align with some other stronger non-BCS teams, something like:

Baylor, Houston, Rice, SMU, TCU, Iowa St, Kansas State, Cincinnati, USF, UCF, East Carolina, Memphis.

However, with all that being said, There is no way that Delaney and the Big Ten are going to sit back and let the PAC 16 and SEC get first fobs on conference expansion. They are working behind the scenes and could be working on something HUGE! They have been preparing for this day for the past few years. From what I ha be heard through industry sources, the Big Ten may be in line to do something huge if it looks like the 'Big Bang' is about to go down. Don't be surprised if you see the Big Ten preempt everyone and pick up Texas, Missouri, Notre Dame, and one of either Kansas/Maryland/Syracuse/Pittsburgh.

Reaction Score
It really seems like we will end up in the ACC if there isnt a straight ACC/Big East merger with a new conference name.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
Your back to where the Big Ten started, Texas and Notre Dame? OK.

The rest? No consensus. They've got what they want. A 9-game schedule on tap. A great network deal/ A championship game.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Texas and OU are joined at the hip. Rivalry notwithstanding, they're a package deal, and Texas and Okahoma state politics will likely result in Texas Tech and Ok State piggybacking whatever deal Texas/OU strike. That means the Pac-16 is the most likely scenario.

The OU announcement tonight is just one step in the process. Texas is is prentending to be passive here, but they're obviously not.

The Pac-16 will split into two divisions, or possibly a pod system with four teams per pod. This will allow for lowered travel costs for the non-revenue sports.

Although it's a longshot, Texas and Notre Dame have been in talks, and there is a chance that they both join the Big 10 along with two other teams. Politically that's very messy, however.

The SEC will take A&M for sure, perhaps Mizzou, and possibly raid the ACC to reach 16 members. The Big 10 will get to 16 members as well. I could see a fourth super-conference forming between the remnants of the Big East, ACC, and Big XII (perhaps Kansas and K-State, which are also probably a package deal).

My prediction is that UConn will end up in a lousy football conference (relative to the revamped PAC, SEC, and Big 10), but could be part of an incredible conference for basketball (Duke, UConn, Kansas, Louisville, maybe Syracuse and UNC too if they don't get grabbed by anyone? Yes, please).

Reaction Score
Texas and OU are joined at the hip. Rivalry notwithstanding, they're a package deal, and Texas and Okahoma state politics will likely result in Texas Tech and Ok State piggybacking whatever deal Texas/OU strike. That means the Pac-16 is the most likely scenario.

The OU announcement tonight is just one step in the process. Texas is is prentending to be passive here, but they're obviously not.

The Pac-16 will split into two divisions, or possibly a pod system with four teams per pod. This will allow for lowered travel costs for the non-revenue sports.

Although it's a longshot, Texas and Notre Dame have been in talks, and there is a chance that they both join the Big 10 along with two other teams. Politically that's very messy, however.

The SEC will take A&M for sure, perhaps Mizzou, and possibly raid the ACC to reach 16 members. The Big 10 will get to 16 members as well. I could see a fourth super-conference forming between the remnants of the Big East, ACC, and Big XII (perhaps Kansas and K-State, which are also probably a package deal).

My prediction is that UConn will end up in a lousy football conference (relative to the revamped PAC, SEC, and Big 10), but could be part of an incredible conference for basketball (Duke, UConn, Kansas, Louisville, maybe Syracuse and UNC too if they don't get grabbed by anyone? Yes, please).

That's most likely that will happen if we all go to 16. If we don't, then I see OU/OSU/UT/TTECH going to the PAC-16. A&M and Missouri might end up in the SEC. BE will pick up Kansas/KSU/ISU. Baylor is screwed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom