Just for kicks, riddle me this... | The Boneyard

Just for kicks, riddle me this...

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Tiff graduates this year. realizing that you can't have a team of 5 players, ignore that for the purpose of this "exercise"...

assuming starters next year of Bria, Caroline, Kelly, KML, and Stef, the following team could be coming off the bench...

Jefferson, Banks, Tuck, Stewart, Stokes.

realizing that 3 of the 5 are freshmen, and 2 are sophomores, where would you potentially rank a starting lineup like that? probably not in the top 5, but in my mind, definitely in the top 10.

my point isn't so much to be accurate with the "ranking" per se, but to marvel at the strength coming off the bench and the star power the future holds when the upper classmen graduate...

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
There are 3 top 5 basketball programs in Storrs. The men and the women x2. I'm sure there has been a year when if our women's starting 5 didn't exist (read: is not being distributed among other teams), our bench plus more backups could have made serious runs in the tournament.

Reaction Score
Starters: Bria, Brianna, Kiah, Kaleena, Stef (The Go-Go Squad)
Finishers: Caroline, Kelly, Breanne, Morgan, Michala (The Chinese Bandits Squad)

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
There are 3 top 5 basketball programs in Storrs. The men and the women x2. I'm sure there has been a year when if our women's starting 5 didn't exist (read: is not being distributed among other teams), our bench plus more backups could have made serious runs in the tournament.
yep. i'm just amazed at the plethora of talent coming in year after year after year... truly amazing...

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Geno said, starting next year he thought we might go 78 and 0. Not lose a game for two years.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Geno said, starting next year he thought we might go 78 and 0. Not lose a game for two years.
i remember that! that's just incredible - for him to say it is boondoggling!!

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Tiff graduates this year. realizing that you can't have a team of 5 players, ignore that for the purpose of this "exercise"...

assuming starters next year of Bria, Caroline, Kelly, KML, and Stef, the following team could be coming off the bench...

Jefferson, Banks, Tuck, Stewart, Stokes.

realizing that 3 of the 5 are freshmen, and 2 are sophomores, where would you potentially rank a starting lineup like that? probably not in the top 5, but in my mind, definitely in the top 10.

my point isn't so much to be accurate with the "ranking" per se, but to marvel at the strength coming off the bench and the star power the future holds when the upper classmen graduate...

Assuming starters this year of Bria, Caroline, Kelly, Tiff, and Stef, the following team could be coming off the bench...

KML, Banks, Stokes, Johnson, Buck.

I think people (not you) are underestimating how good this team is really going to be. Yes, I'm an optomist and believe that Caroline will be good for 20 minutes a game and that KML will be college ready from the start and Buck will finally contribute 7 points and 5 rebounds a game in 15 solid minutes and Banks will be on the NATIONAL all freshman team (at least the BE all freshman team) and that Tiff will play like a senior, Faris will have a better shot. And more....lol.

I will agree that next years team will be even better..!!!!!!

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Assuming starters this year of Bria, Caroline, Kelly, Tiff, and Stef, the following team could be coming off the bench...

KML, Banks, Stokes, Johnson, Buck.

I think people (not you) are underestimating how good this team is really going to be. Yes, I'm an optomist and believe that Caroline will be good for 20 minutes a game and that KML will be college ready from the start and Buck will finally contribute 7 points and 5 rebounds a game in 15 solid minutes and Banks will be on the NATIONAL all freshman team (at least the BE all freshman team) and that Tiff will play like a senior, Faris will have a better shot. And more....lol.

I'll have what HE'S having!!

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score

Where is DD and what have you done with him?!! kidding. i wasn't trying to take a Tony pill, but i was thinking about recruiting and all that and it got me thinking.

getting back to your point, i'm not sure preseason where they "deserve" to be, but at this point i'd probably put them at #3 behind Baylor, and barely behind ND. before the end of the season is over, i'd be hard pressed to imagine a team not named Baylor being "better" than UCONN, and in spite of Griner and Simms, i'd not be surprised to see us cutting down the nets.

i do want to say given that UCONN is ranked in the top 5 by almost everyone preseason, and higher by some others, so i'm not sure how much people are really underestimating this team. don't disagree that maybe they are, and that games against top competition will be closer this year than in years past, but i do think games against Baylor, ND, (especially those 2), and maybe a couple of other surprise teams this coming year.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
yep. i'm just amazed at the plethora of talent coming in year after year after year... truly amazing...
Not to take anything away from UConn, Geno and CD, et. all, but this seems to be a function of Women's college athletics. The top female athletes tend to want to play together rather than carry a program. If you look at Women's Lacrosse, Soccer, Volleyball, Softball, etc., you will witness the same phenomena.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Where is DD and what have you done with him?!! kidding. i wasn't trying to take a Tony pill, but i was thinking about recruiting and all that and it got me thinking.

getting back to your point, i'm not sure preseason where they "deserve" to be, but at this point i'd probably put them at #3 behind Baylor, and barely behind ND. before the end of the season is over, i'd be hard pressed to imagine a team not named Baylor being "better" than UCONN, and in spite of Griner and Simms, i'd not be surprised to see us cutting down the nets.
r wo
i do want to say given that UCONN is ranked in the top 5 by almost everyone preseason, and higher by some others, so i'm not sure how much people are really underestimating this team. don't disagree that maybe they are, and that games against top competition will be closer this year than in years past, but i do think games against Baylor, ND, (especially those 2), and maybe a couple of other surprise teams this coming year.

I'm not talking polls, or experts. Mostly fans. Some of this program and some fans of other teams. Just my little shoutout to some of the doubters.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
..."going up to Storrs to play the two best WCBB teams in the country..."

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
i remember that! that's just incredible - for him to say it is boondoggling!!

some thought that was "tongue in cheek" in a attempt to get this year's team pumped up, of course I disagree!

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
some thought that was "tongue in cheek" in a attempt to get this year's team pumped up, of course I disagree!
hmm. i've never heard Geno joke like that before. of course doesn't mean he WASN'T joking. i guess i'd have to hear the whole comment, or at least see the interview in writing... then again, i may not even know then. still, i assumed he wasn't being sarcastic...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom