Just create the Big North | The Boneyard

Just create the Big North

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I wish the AD's and school presidents in the North East would quit screwing around and just form the Big North Conference to include:

UConn, Syracuse, BC, Rutgers, Maryland, Temple, Pitt, W. Virginia, Notre Dame, Penn St, Louisville, Cincy in all sports. Army and Navy in football only(until they are ready to join in other sports and just add those sports as they become ready).

That would be the best thing for the schools mentioned as far as travel and TV money is concerned. You'd be guaranteed a HUGE basketball and football TV package and you would never have to worry about the BCS automatic qualifier. MSG & ESPN would be on their hands and knees begging for that basketball tourney. It's just common sense to create that conference. That conference makes more sense than what any of the schools are currently in. Stipulate that in order to buy the rights to broadcast that league you have to come up with the cash for the schools to buyout of the conferences they are in right now. Example: if ESPN wanted exclusive rights to braodcast football and/or basketball they would have to poney up the cash it would take for schools like Maryland, BC, Penn St, ect to leave their current conference. That gives incentive for the schools to make the jump and a network like ESPN could negotiate a sweet long term deal that satisfies all parties. Notre Dame would be in on the ground floor of what would easily be THE super conference. I just can't see how the schools mentioned could do any better than creating the Big North.

Just Do It!

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
Do you mean by making 18-25 million dollars per year in conference revenue, Pitt, Syracuse, BC, Maryland, and especially Penn State are "screwing around"? I wish UConn were that asinine.

Reaction Score
I wish the AD's and school presidents in the North East would quit screwing around and just form the Big North Conference to include:

UConn, Syracuse, BC, Rutgers, Maryland, Temple, Pitt, W. Virginia, Notre Dame, Penn St, Louisville, Cincy in all sports. Army and Navy in football only(until they are ready to join in other sports and just add those sports as they become ready).

That would be the best thing for the schools mentioned as far as travel and TV money is concerned. You'd be guaranteed a HUGE basketball and football TV package and you would never have to worry about the BCS automatic qualifier. MSG & ESPN would be on their hands and knees begging for that basketball tourney. It's just common sense to create that conference. That conference makes more sense than what any of the schools are currently in.

Just Do It!
If it were up to the fans, I think this would happen. Nice dream, it would be a great conference.

Reaction Score
I was thinking along the same line
What is missing to make it a reality is the next Dave Gavitt. Someone to make it happen.

Reaction Score
Do you mean by making 18-25 million dollars per year in conference revenue, Pitt, Syracuse, BC, Maryland, and especially Penn State are "screwing around"? I wish UConn were that asinine.
What do you think the potential revenue would be in a conference with the schools mentioned? Not to mention the fact that you could finally wave goodbye to the Big East and pop that over rated balloon called the ACC.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
The only major football programs there are Notre Dame (who will never leave independence) and Penn State. I would say such a conference would make ACC level numbers.

Reaction Score
Sure, no problem. You can get PSU to leave the B1G and their clause where they'd forfeit all TV revenue for a while after they left.

Section205

I'm just filled with useless information.
Reaction Score
What do you think the potential revenue would be in a conference with the schools mentioned? Not to mention the fact that you could finally wave goodbye to the Big East and pop that over rated balloon called the ACC.

You going to guarantee PSU & ND > $25MM in annual TV revenue?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
That would be "north-east", for the most part. The Big North is easily completed by the Big Ten adding UConn and Rutgers. Syracuse and BC would be the only missing northern teams east of Minnesota. Apart from ND of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom