Just an observation about our defense | The Boneyard

Just an observation about our defense

Reaction Score
I dont think we played a disciplined defense for good chunks of the year.
We had enough size and length to do it-but we did not. Our schemes and desire were not always up to par.
Offense seems to come and go--you need players with the ability to make shots--especially at key points but in college basketball defense still wins.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately, a lot of our personnel was — ahem — limited in that respect. Defense on pick and rolls was often catastrophic and rotations to help mitigate that were generally piss poor. There were some units on the court that weren’t altogether terrible though. Generally our starting squad, as long as matchups were decent, could hang tough and keep us in games. The minute we got stretched out by a perimeter oriented 4 or 5 though we would turn into Swiss cheese. Losing track of good 3-point shooters beyond the arc and consequently getting light up by them was a particularly annoying trait.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
I’m not certain that they couldn’t do it well, just that they didn’t. Knowing where the shooters were is crucial but ultimately what really does it is nobody on the perimeter getting beat on the dribble. The guards, except for Gilbert, too routinely gave up penetration. As soon as that happens someone has to slide to compensate, and then it’s a mad scramble to rotate and cover.

Reaction Score
Maybe looking at some of URI’s defensive stats under Hurley, especially once he got his guys in, will make you feel better. The 16-17 team was especially good. He’s a really good defensive coach. His approach thrives with guard depth and a rim protector (and guys who can pick up on complex defensive schemes).

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Hurley tried to do what he did at Rhode Island with our guys. It didn't work very well.

Reaction Score
Hurley tried to do what he did at Rhode Island with our guys. It didn't work very well.

It didn't work well his first year in Rhode Island, either. Give it some time.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
You need a Hassan Martin to run that defense.

We don’t have that guy...yet.

Reaction Score
It didn't work well his first year in Rhode Island, either. Give it some time.

I agree. Gotta lay the foundation and have continuity from year to year. It will keep improving.

Reaction Score
Ĺook at what U VA and TT did with a defensive emphasis. You have to Drill BALL YOU MAN like TT. The close outs on D were amazing in the Final. WORK AND A STATE OF MIND.

Reaction Score
A couple of big IF’s
I exspected better defense last when Gilbert was healthy. It defense that let me down.
I see the defense improving exponentially next year if a few things happen.
1. Gilbert is healthy
2. Vital returns/ along with a legitimate backup PG
3. We score a backup rim protector
( please don’t even think either Diarra or Whaley can’t be the man)
I’m expecting improvement in defense next year because Carlton continues to improve as he matures.
Polley will be a heck of a lot stronger and become a more complete player although
he is never going to be Scott Burrell. But In keeping with that thought,
Wilson ,and the three new guys bring a depth in athleticism we haven’t seen in awhile.
Our all around quickness will translate into tougher defense and tougher
defense translates into offense.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom