Just a thought or two about other teams' fans coming here | The Boneyard

Just a thought or two about other teams' fans coming here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
You know, it occurred to me as I was reading a post about Tennessee here that we've had an awfully good run of fans of other teams visiting and/or hanging out here. There is, of course Cardfan, whose perceptive comments have been a part of this board for as long as I've been here. There may be other Stanford people as well.

And last year we welcomed a bunch of Baylor folks, whose thoughts about Texas and Baylor basketball have been most welcome. Some of them continue to visit and comment. And wonder of wonders, a couple of Tennessee folks showed up recently, thoughtful people as well.

All I'm really saying is that in my naivete, I didn't think we would have the benefit of varying points of view like we've had recently. Don't know about anyone else, but I think the BY is a better place for it, and I'm kinda proud that a place where I hang out could attract that kind of attention from people who don't share our common bond as Huskies fans.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
We have lots of nice visitors and a few trolls. I doesn't take long to identify which are which. They provide lots of information and interesting, sometimes challenging viewpoints. A few of them are more positive about UConn than even some of our own. :)

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
We have lots of nice visitors and a few trolls. I doesn't take long to identify which are which. They provide lots of information and interesting, sometimes challenging viewpoints. A few of them are more positive about UConn than even some of our own. :)
The "outside looking in" phenomenon can be quite powerful.

And I'm always looking for an excuse to break this out:

5055032357_69d1d1be72.jpg

Reaction Score
When you look at some posts there can be thousands of views. This tells me that the board is probably read by many opponent's, athletes, parents, sports writers, coaches...... This is the best women's basketball board, thank you for everyone's contributions.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
When you look at some posts there can be thousands of views. This tells me that the board is probably read by many opponent's, athletes, parents, sports writers, coaches...... This is the best women's basketball board, thank you for everyone's contributions.
+1

RoyDodger

Retired in the Southwest
Reaction Score
There is a tendency among some fans to overly identify with one's favorite sports teams. Their egos become dependent on it. Sometimes this leads to violence (especially in the world of soccer, and as happened on opening day at Dodger Stadium this year) which is crazy because it is only a game. If we can remember that, we can discuss our favorite teams and sport in a civil manner and it's nice to see the fans of other schools come in and talk intelligently about the game. It's always good to get a different perspective.

Relating back, again, to my baseball experience. Back in the mid-1990s, I posted regularly on a Dodger board on America Online. One of those who regularly posted was a very intelligent Giants fan from SF (he now lives in Atlanta). Well, you can imagine how the Dodger fans posting on that board might have reacted. But happily since the Giants fan was never hostile and expressed himself very well, we saw things from an interesting non-Dodger-fan perspective. That Giants fan has been a very good friend of mine for all these years. I even congratulated him when the Giants won the World Series in 2010. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom