Just a little bump | The Boneyard

Just a little bump

Status
Not open for further replies.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
If you rewatched either the UConn-Baylor game film or the ESPNw highlight clip, you might have noticed a sequence where Stewie grabs an offensive rebound in traffic and turns to put up a jump shot that bounces in. Afterward at the other end of the floor, Baylor reserve Khadijiah Cave plows into a back-pedaling Stewie on the way to setting up for the Bears' possession. I didn't notice Cave much since she was only in for 4 minutes and picked up 2 PFs, which seems to be her main skill since she averages about 1 PF per every 7 minutes.

What do you think? Do you see this much with the post players where you get one of those love-smack messages after you score on them? Probably the only reason this one even got on film was that ESPN was focusing for a moment on Stewie after the basket. I know, just a little bump.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
I did see that and it looked deliberate to me. Stewie didn't seem to react however.

Reaction Score
In my mind, that's the equivalent of bumping a cutter. If it's egregious, the refs might call it, but it's fairly common.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think that level of bump is standard for post/forwards at the start of every offensive set as they each try to take ownership of the same spot on the floor. I did specifically notice it as you seldom do see that in close-up as the camera is usually following the ball.

Reaction Score
Also, I think it was in the first half, the announcers said Stewart scores through contact. I thought at the time, isn't contact a foul? I still think that.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
If all contact were a foul, there could be no such thing as post defense. In the paint, contact is inevitable and expected -- that's why strength counts as much or more than agility or shooting accuracy.

In practice, more contact is allowed in the paint than a literal interpretation of the rules would allow -- displacement of the opposing player is supposed to be a foul, but if neither player has the ball, it seems to be allowed. But grabbing, elbowing, or shoving with the hands should always be called (whether one player has the ball or not), and normally (except in the last few minutes of close game) it normally is called.

Reaction Score
If all contact were a foul, there could be no such thing as post defense. In the paint, contact is inevitable and expected -- that's why strength counts as much or more than agility or shooting accuracy.

In practice, more contact is allowed in the paint than a literal interpretation of the rules would allow -- displacement of the opposing player is supposed to be a foul, but if neither player has the ball, it seems to be allowed. But grabbing, elbowing, or shoving with the hands should always be called (whether one player has the ball or not), and normally (except in the last few minutes of close game) it normally is called.
One thing that they allowed half the time was Sims pushing people, with one or two hands, off the ball. They called it very late in the game, but missed at least one other earlier. You think at least 1 of the 3 refs might be able to catch things like that.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
Also, I think it was in the first half, the announcers said Stewart scores through contact. I thought at the time, isn't contact a foul? I still think that.
She got pushed and knee'd on a few shots and buckets with no call. And after a defensive rebound we were molested with very few calls. This stops our transition game effectively.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom