June Corteau - Strange But True | Page 2 | The Boneyard

June Corteau - Strange But True

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
My buddies and I always kidded that Sally Bell used to ref with a TN Lady Vols cap on.
Dennis DeMayo, June Courteau, Dee Kantner, Lisa Mattingly, Brian Entiline, Bob Entiline, Bill Titus, Denise Brooks, Wesley Dean, Cameron Inouye, Bob Trammel, Sue Blauch, Eric Brewton, Tina Napier, among others that had or have great reps but IMO are lousy officials! Dee Kantner for one makes me feel she's pi--ed at Geno about something and if there's a close game with UCONN she'll make some call late to swing momentum away from UCONN. The late ref, Bonita Spence was famous for making a call from 50' away, such as a charge/block call from mid-court that was another refs call to make!
These above refs "may" have been good a while ago but the game has passed them by big time.
I still say as a whole WBB has the most horrible officiating in major sports.
I had hoped I'd never hear the name "Bonita Spence" ever again....absolutely the worst!:eek:

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
My buddies and I always kidded that Sally Bell used to ref with a TN Lady Vols cap on.
Dennis DeMayo, June Courteau, Dee Kantner, Lisa Mattingly, Brian Entiline, Bob Entiline, Bill Titus, Denise Brooks, Wesley Dean, Cameron Inouye, Bob Trammel, Sue Blauch, Eric Brewton, Tina Napier, among others that had or have great reps but IMO are lousy officials! Dee Kantner for one makes me feel she's pi--ed at Geno about something and if there's a close game with UCONN she'll make some call late to swing momentum away from UCONN. The late ref, Bonita Spence was famous for making a call from 50' away, such as a charge/block call from mid-court that was another refs call to make!
These above refs "may" have been good a while ago but the game has passed them by big time.
I'm not sure how long Bob Enterline has been in the top conferences, never heard of him till a few years ago, although I agree he isn't young. I personally like Kantner and Mattingly, never thought much of Dean or Titus, obviously don't care for Napier of "clockgate" fame (or Trammel either), fairly neutral on the rest. Brian Enterline is (or was) one of the worst "anticipation" callers I've ever seen. He has changed (some) over the years. You are correct that these are among the purported "best", except that Titus and DeMayo have cut back in recent years so probably recognize that they are past their prime. Corteau is of course retired.

CCinCT

Poster
Reaction Score
I'm not sure how long Bob Enterline has been in the top conferences, never heard of him till a few years ago, although I agree he isn't young. I personally like Kantner and Mattingly, never thought much of Dean or Titus, obviously don't care for Napier of "clockgate" fame (or Trammel either), fairly neutral on the rest. Brian Enterline is (or was) one of the worst "anticipation" callers I've ever seen. He has changed (some) over the years. You are correct that these are among the purported "best", except that Titus and DeMayo have cut back in recent years so probably recognize that they are past their prime. Corteau is of course retired.

Corteau is retired from officiating BUT and it's a big BUT

Please read what she is responsible for as NCAA's National Coordinator of womens basketball officials

June Courteau named coordinator of women’s basketball officiating

And we wonder why WCBB officiating is suspect

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Corteau is retired from officiating BUT and it's a big BUT

Please read what she is responsible for as NCAA's National Coordinator of womens basketball officials

June Courteau named coordinator of women’s basketball officiating

And we wonder why WCBB officiating is suspect
I can only repeat what I said 2 years ago in this thread. While I personally thought that Corteau refereed from some never-never land that the rest of us couldn't see, I had the opportunity to speak at length with someone actually in the game who thought very highly of her and several others who also held her in high regard.

Reaction Score
I met Dee Kantner (and Denise Brooks) at a bar in Greensboro after an ACC Conference Championships game. Really like Dee. She was very complementary about what UCONN had done for the women's game. In the game she had reffed Jeff Walz had gone off on her regarding a call. I mentioned this to her and said that he must be tough to deal with. She actually said she really liked working with him - you always knew where he stood and outside of the court was a good guy. She also told me that she was the supervisor of the WNBA refs. Not sure if this is still true (meeting was a couple of years ago). We didn't get to talk about that...I'd taken enough of her time. Really cool encounter!

Reaction Score
Isn't she the one who called the phantom foul on DT in the "down to the wire" stages
of the VaTech game during the 2001/2 season? :mad:
It was worse than a phantom foul! DT actually blocked the shot and she called it intentional. Sue B. bailed out the undefeated season shortly thereafter.

Reaction Score
Sally Bell was WORSE in the ACC. She controlled the whole conference with predjudicious calls. Bonita Spence's 50 foot calls were from a "point of emphasis" that the distant ref should make the call as "the least emotionally involved." Why this didn't work: Brenda Freese (Md.) goes screaming Bonkers in the face of a ref and no call. A minute later Geno is teed up from, yes, 50 feet away.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I met Dee Kantner (and Denise Brooks) at a bar in Greensboro after an ACC Conference Championships game. Really like Dee. She was very complementary about what UCONN had done for the women's game. In the game she had reffed Jeff Walz had gone off on her regarding a call. I mentioned this to her and said that he must be tough to deal with. She actually said she really liked working with him - you always knew where he stood and outside of the court was a good guy. She also told me that she was the supervisor of the WNBA refs. Not sure if this is still true (meeting was a couple of years ago). We didn't get to talk about that...I'd taken enough of her time. Really cool encounter!
I have also met Dee in passing. She was briefly in the NBA as a ref around 2000 when RU was in the Portland Region, and she arranged for tickets for four of us Rutgers fans (not free, but not available to the general public) for the NY Knick game against Portland in the NBA during the "off-night" of the Regional.

Yes, she was definitely at one time the supervisor of WNBA refs, but I also don't know if she still is.

Reaction Score
Dee is the best I've seen over the last several years.

Reaction Score
I continue to follow Dee Kantner as she grew up in southeastern PA, in the same county as Wendy Davis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom