OT: - Judge ties Maris | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Judge ties Maris

Which team's NIL funds will be hurt the most?

• Total voters
Reaction Score
Just saw the replay. A Toronto fan missed the HR ball by less than 2 feet. Of course, may have been surrounded by the Mounties
It's been the story of the day on local radio stations here. While he likely won't need to go into hiding like Bartman had to, this will haunt him for quite some time.

Reaction Score
They are making too big of a deal about this. He's not making history. 61 home runs in a season puts you in 7th place for most home runs in a season.
How is seventh place not a big deal? He's in a group of Hall of Famers (with or without the steroid users) by accomplishing this. And he hasn't reached his prime, which is a scary thought.

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score
Found in today's mail. Put a big smile on my face.

39E1D1E8-5F16-4B06-8D75-3A381FB25491.jpeg

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
How is seventh place not a big deal? He's in a group of Hall of Famers (with or without the steroid users) by accomplishing this. And he hasn't reached his prime, which is a scary thought.
Just a point of clarification. Bonds, McGuire & Sosa are not in the Baseball HOF, and it is highly unlikely they ever will be. There is a 10 year window after a player retires, when he must appear on 75% of the ballots from the Baseball Writers who vote on eligibility in order to be enshrined in the HOF.

All 3 players have passed the 10 year window without being enshrined. The only avenue left to them would be if the Old Timers Committee took up their eligibility. That’s highly unlikely as the Old Timers Committee has typically enshrined players who were overlooked for one reason or another such as great players from the Negro Leagues.

So far as Judge being in the company of HOF’ers who’ve hit 60 or more HR’s. There are two: Ruth & Maris.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Just a point of clarification. Bonds, McGuire & Sosa are not in the Baseball HOF, and it is highly unlikely they ever will be. There is a 10 year window after a player retires, when he must appear on 75% of the ballots from the Baseball Writers who vote on eligibility in order to be enshrined in the HOF.

All 3 players have passed the 10 year window without being enshrined. The only avenue left to them would be if the Old Timers Committee took up their eligibility. That’s highly unlikely as the Old Timers Committee has typically enshrined players who were overlooked for one reason or another such as great players from the Negro Leagues.

So far as Judge being in the company of HOF’ers who’ve hit 60 or more HR’s. There are two: Ruth & Maris.
Thanks for that. Couldn't remember if they were officially off the list for consideration.

With a shorter list of actual HOF'ers, his accomplishment is much more impressive. Still a big deal anyway you look at it.;)

Reaction Score
Is that correct that you were 17 when you starting rooting for the Yankees? Who did you root for before that? I grew up in North Jersey, rooting for the Dodgers, on channel 9, since I was 8; that's 73 years. Where did you grow up in NJ?
Let me correct myself. I have been a Yankee fan since I was 12 years old and I'm not saying that to pass your 73 years. I miscalculated the years with a quick statement. I watched the Dodgers on channel 9 also. I watched the Giants on channel 7. We had a black and white TV and all my friends came to my house to watch the games. I lived in Bloomfield NJ. !955 was an anomaly that I don't recognize for personal reasons.

Reaction Score
I saw Maris hit #61 on WPIX channel 11 in NYC. I was 10 years old. Tonight, 61 years later I watch the replay of #61 for Judge. This is a moment I will remember as a life long Yankee fan.

Judge is a class act and humble. His post game interview was so amazing. He is all about the team and not individual stats or honors.

The pics/ videos of Roger Jr. and Aaron's mother are priceless. Roger's presence honors his father's legacy and place in Yankee baseball and baseball history.

Kudos to the Jays fans.

Now I have to get a Judge jersey for my collection.
Holy Cow! You too huskynut?

You beat me to the punch. I was about to post the same thing. I've been a Yankee fan since I was 6 in 1952. 6 is pretty young but my Dad brought home a panoramic photo of Billy Martin's running catch behind the mound in the World Series against the Dodgers in game 7 and I was hooked.

So at 15 on a lazy Sunday afternoon from the family living room in Norwalk I was watching once again in hopes that the Rajah (a NY sportswriter's nickname) would break the Babe's record. Now 61 years later I've been watching every broadcast available to me in South Florida. Last night it was on the free MLB.TV broadcast of the YES feed. 61, drug-free BTW for those of you who put any stock in Bonds', McGwire's, and Sosa's numbers. In my mind right now Judge is tied for the most all-time.

I wonder if there are any others besides you and I huskynut who also witnessed both 61st HRs?

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
My feeling is that if Bonds, McGwire or Sosa felt wronged by Judge getting so much press, they would be screaming it at the top of their lungs. The fact that they are not shows they know how they reached those numbers and that it is better if they keep a low profile and hope it just dissipates from the National Psyche

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
My feeling is that if Bonds, McGwire or Sosa felt wronged by Judge getting so much press, they would be screaming it at the top of their lungs. The fact that they are not shows they know how they reached those numbers and that it is better if they keep a low profile and hope it just dissipates from the National Psyche
For what it’s worth, Judge grew up a Giants fan. He has indicated that he believes the major league HR record is 73. At least that’s what he says……..;)

Reaction Score
Let me correct myself. I have been a Yankee fan since I was 12 years old and I'm not saying that to pass your 73 years. I miscalculated the years with a quick statement. I watched the Dodgers on channel 9 also. I watched the Giants on channel 7. We had a black and white TV and all my friends came to my house to watch the games. I lived in Bloomfield NJ. !955 was an anomaly that I don't recognize for personal reasons.
Just a friendly correction Next 12. I believe you watched the Giants on WOR 9 also, not channel 7. Channel 7 was and still is I believe the NY ABC affiliate.

I watched in black and white also, although we got a color TV in time for World Series Saturday 6 days after Maris hit 61. However it wouldn't have made any difference because WPIX and WOR were only broadcasting in black and white in the early 60s.

Reaction Score
For what it’s worth, Judge grew up a Giants fan. He has indicated that he believes the major league HR record is 73. At least that’s what he says……..;)
True, but I think that's his personality. From what I've seen he would never disparage anyone. I wonder what he really thinks but I don't think we'll ever know.

Reaction Score
Just a friendly correction Next 12. I believe you watched the Giants on WOR 9 also, not channel 7. Channel 7 was and still is I believe the NY ABC affiliate.

I watched in black and white also, although we got a color TV in time for World Series Saturday 6 days after Maris hit 61. However it wouldn't have made any difference because WPIX and WOR were only broadcasting in black and white in the early 60s.
I stand corrected. I know i watched the Giants on TV but I forgot they shared channel 9. For the record, I don't remember if I saw Maris hit 61. I think I did but not sure. Either way they were all great!

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
' I wonder what he really thinks but I don't think we'll ever know.'

i don't wonder. aaron is a pro, which means he lives in a culture that is around 150 years old, and the past is present every single day. all the 'pros' know what went on before them, even back in olden days, and aren't sanctimonious in their judgement. it's a numbers game. always was.

the record is 73. ask mr judge.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score

You beat me to the punch. I was about to post the same thing. I've been a Yankee fan since I was 6 in 1952. 6 is pretty young but my Dad brought home a panoramic photo of Billy Martin's running catch behind the mound in the World Series against the Dodgers in game 7 and I was hooked.

So at 15 on a lazy Sunday afternoon from the family living room in Norwalk I was watching once again in hopes that the Rajah (a NY sportswriter's nickname) would break the Babe's record. Now 61 years later I've been watching every broadcast available to me in South Florida. Last night it was on the free MLB.TV broadcast of the YES feed. 61, drug-free BTW for those of you who put any stock in Bonds', McGwire's, and Sosa's numbers. In my mind right now Judge is tied for the most all-time.

I wonder if there are any others besides you and I huskynut who also witnessed both 61st HRs?

tkaes - Since I live in Florida now, I text with 2 of my sons about the Yanks and the football Giants. They were surprised and amazed that I had witnessed Maris' 61st and now Judge's. My oldest grandson - 14 year old, is a big Judge fan. I imagine he has not taken off his Judge jersey in the last week.

I would think there have to be others that have witnessed both 61's.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I think its advantageous that Judge is tying and now threatening the record from the American League and especially on the Yankees...

All of the steroid assisted records are on the National side and even should they stand, Judge will likely have the record associated with a bunch of clean heroes.

And it will be so recognized.

Reaction Score
' I wonder what he really thinks but I don't think we'll ever know.'

i don't wonder. aaron is a pro, which means he lives in a culture that is around 150 years old, and the past is present every single day. all the 'pros' know what went on before them, even back in olden days, and aren't sanctimonious in their judgement. it's a numbers game. always was.

the record is 73. ask mr judge.
Well, remember what Mark Twain (I believe it was. who said, "where you stand depends on where you sit". Just to be Clear, Bonds, McGwire. and Sosa Cream'd a lot of HRs with some help.

Reaction Score
They are making too big of a deal about this. He's not making history. 61 home runs in a season puts you in 7th place for most home runs in a season.
You are not facing reality if you think Bonds, Sosa & McGwire hit those homeruns with out the aid of steroids'. It happened in a four year stretch (1998-2001) when steroids' were used by many.

Aaron Judge is a great story. Great for baseball. Adopted kid with great parents. His parents should win an award.

A few years ago I was flipping channels and I stopped on a celebrity Pro AM golf Tournament. The announced that So and so and McGwire were about to hit there second shot on the fairway. They announced McGwire about to hit his shot. I said to my self that's not McGwire. I got up and got close to the TV to look at his face. His face was all drawn and he was skinny. Couldn't believe it. Some muscle tone is from weight lifting and some is from drugs. I rest my case

You can through Clemens in with that group. Clemens was 40-41 his last four years in Boston. End of career mediocrity. Same Steroid time period, Clemens wins four more Cy Youngs.

Reaction Score
You hit it on the head. He's not even in his prime. From what I have seen of his stroke and stance, 74 homers is certainly in his reach and it will be a clean 74.GO JUDGE! GO YANKEES!!! Number 28

Reaction Score

I saw both. As for the importance of 61, it should be noted that the seasonal home run record in the American league had held for 61 years, and it wasn't some statistical oddity like "he's the only player to have hit 35 doubles stolen 80 bases and been ejected from games 10 times"

Reaction Score
Glad to hear that; fine with me that your 77years beats my 73. I lived in Lincoln Park, not too far from Bloomfield. Knew a family of pretty good basketball players from Bloomfield named Oostdyk.

Reaction Score
There are millions who would disagree with this statement. Many of us have serious questions about Bonds, McGwire and Sousa still.
PEDs seriously tainted their records. I hate to defend their achievements, but even with PEDs you still have to hit the ball. I don't know that PEDs improve the necessary eye/hand coordination needed to hit the ball.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
PEDs seriously tainted their records. I hate to defend their achievements, but even with PEDs you still have to hit the ball. I don't know that PEDs improve the necessary eye/hand coordination needed to hit the ball.
PEDs impact performance by allowing players to train longer and harder without their muscles fatiguing, resulting in fewer injuries, thereby extending the careers of older players. The ability to train longer and harder dramatically improves strength, particularly related to fast twitch muscle fibers. This allows hitters to be “quicker” with their bats and pitchers to throw harder and longer.

Add in the use of amphetamines, which some hitters took to improve their concentration at the plate and you end up with a hitter who is stronger, intensely focused with a really quick bat. So while PED’s and amphetamines do not improve eye/hand coordination, they permit a hitter to use whatever eye/hand coordination they posess to tremendous effect.

Bonds, McGuire & Sosa were all very good hitters when they got to the majors, with the ability to hit HR’s. What was unique was that when performance starts to decline for most players, each of them got much bigger, adding significant muscle mass in their 30’s, hitting improbable HR totals that they never reached in their primes.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom