JUCO QB Chandler Whitmer...UCONN on his short list | Page 2 | The Boneyard

JUCO QB Chandler Whitmer...UCONN on his short list

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
LMAO. Yes, we turned a 4-8 team that was lucky not to go 0-7 in league to a 9-3 team that shared the league championship. Damn that coach for playing the wrong QB (and not one with zero wins to his credit coming into the year, and who was never able to beat out Bones and DJ, to boot).

Reaction Score
LMAO. Yes, we turned a 4-8 team that was lucky not to go 0-7 in league to a 9-3 team that shared the league championship. Damn that coach for playing the wrong QB (and one with zero wins to his credit coming into the year, and who was never able to beat out Bones and DJ, to boot).
And we never beat a ranked team because all we had was Donald Brown. I hope that you don't call what we had a passing game.

Reaction Score
LMAO. Yes, we turned a 4-8 team that was lucky not to go 0-7 in league to a 9-3 team that shared the league championship. Damn that coach for playing the wrong QB (and one with zero wins to his credit coming into the year, and who was never able to beat out Bones and DJ, to boot).

I see eye to eye with you on a lot of issues, and I'm an unapologetic Apoligista. That being said, you are becoming way too sensitive about any criticism of our former coach. There are times when Edsall didn't necessarily make the correct decisions in who sees the field. Easley comes to mind.

Reaction Score
I see eye to eye with you on a lot of issues, and I'm an unapologetic Apoligista. That being said, you are becoming way too sensitive about any criticism of our former coach. There are times when Edsall didn't necessarily make the correct decisions in who sees the field. Easley comes to mind.

There are plenty of things you can criticize Edsall for, and there are others without right or wrong answers where you can rationally second guess. Lorentzon having started at QB in '07 ain't one of them.

Reaction Score
07 stats ---

Completed 197-of-347 passes (57-percent) for 2367 yards with 13 touchdowns and just six interceptions for a 122.98 efficiency rating.

Reaction Score
Do people really think Easley was always as good as he turned out to be?

I'm quite sure RE has enough ability to judge talent he sees everyday (we all agree he is a very good judge of talent)

Could it possibly be Easley, a walk on, was a late bloomer, who turned up his focus and hit his stride late?

There is no way Easley practiced like he played his senior year, during his first few years, and then sat the bench.

Tyler never got the credit he deserved for 2007.

Reaction Score
There are plenty of things you can criticize Edsall for, and there are others without right or wrong answers where you can rationally second guess. Lorentzon having started at QB in '07 ain't one of them.
I see your point and we can agree to disagree; however, I am still not sold on JUCO transfer QB's.

Reaction Score

I'm quite sure RE has enough ability to judge talent he sees everyday (we all agree he is a very good judge of talent)

Could it possibly be Easley, a walk on, was a late bloomer, who turned up his focus and hit his stride late?

There is no way Easley practiced like he played his senior year, during his first few years, and then sat the bench.

This is something we'll never know for sure. It's my opinion that Marcus Easley did not suddenly start to play good football in Pittsburgh in October of his senior year. He barely saw the field the first month and a half of the season and was phenomenal in the spring game earlier that year. It's only after he caught that bomb from Endres that the staff decided to get him involved in the offense. The announcers had no idea who he was. They called him Eric Sawicki for Pete's sake.

So yes, I believe that the staff that one up. Better late than never though.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I liked Ole Miss hire. He is fairly young and runs a very good offense.

I think it comes down to Memphis and UConn for Whitmer but UConn should win out.

Nutt is out and I don't believe they named a replacement yet. Which is another reason why I don't think you'll see Ole Miss offer.

Edit: My bad. They hired Mr. Freeze from Arkansas St. Really?

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
fwiw memphis has a stud qb in there recruit class. kid would be a 4 or 5 star on sites if he took one of his bcs offers(half of the sec).

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I liked Ole Miss hire. He is fairly young and runs a very good offense.

I think it comes down to Memphis and UConn for Whitmer but UConn should win out.

Good call on Gross. He blew his ACL out and missed the season but had some serious offers like Alabama, Arkansas and a few others.
Kent St will be getting a JUCO QB commitment very soon

UConn should come out on top. Heck even Texas St has three commitments at quarterback

Reaction Score

The TL experiment should have been over after the '07 season. He was an adequate QB (the passing kind) at best for the first 8-9 games. But the Cincy game, followed by Syracuse, West Virginia & the Meinke Car Care Wake Forest game reveal how ineffective (scoring wise) UConn's offense was. Unfortunately, there was more of the same the next year, particularly when TL came back at the end of the season. Made this year's passing attack look potent.

Reaction Score
The TL experiment should have been over after the '07 season. He was an adequate QB (the passing kind) at best for the first 8-9 games. But the Cincy game, followed by Syracuse, West Virginia & the Meinke Car Care Wake Forest game reveal how ineffective (scoring wise) UConn's offense was. Unfortunately, there was more of the same the next year, particularly when TL came back at the end of the season. Made this year's passing attack look potent.

Out of curiousity, was any part of this conversation about how Lorentzon did in '08? Or was the conversation just too positive for you to allow it to be about '07?

One of the things you can rationally wonder is whether Tyler was really healthy when he came back in the lineup in '08, and whether we would have been better served to continue to go with Zach or Cody. It's fair to raise that as long as you realize we can never know.

Reaction Score
Out of curiousity, was any part of this conversation about how Lorentzon did in '08? Or was the conversation just too positive for you to allow it to be about '07?

One of the things you can rationally wonder is whether Tyler was really healthy when he came back in the lineup in '08, and whether we would have been better served to continue to go with Zach or Cody. It's fair to raise that as long as you realize we can never know.

It's Lorenzen.

Reaction Score

art, I have to think you're right on this. After all, to read people's posts you'd assume Easley was burried on the bench when in fact he played in 11 games as a junior and several as a sophomore.

Reaction Score
Out of curiousity, was any part of this conversation about how Lorentzon did in '08? Or was the conversation just too positive for you to allow it to be about '07? There wouldn't have been an '08, had RE "ended the experiment" during that anemic final four game stretch in '07. Then we could have concentrated solely on '07 as you "require'.

Healthy or not, TL made UConn exclusively one dimensional. Zach and/or Cody were an upgrade and should have stayed at the helm - both for the present at the time and for the future. There should have been no going back.

Reaction Score
Healthy or not, TL made UConn exclusively one dimensional. Zach and/or Cody were an upgrade and should have stayed at the helm - both for the present at the time and for the future. There should have been no going back.

As I remember '08, we went 8-5 including bowl game. Cody was 1-1 as a starter and Zach was 0-2. If I do my math correctly, that means in the games that Tyler started we went 7-2. Does that mean we might not have beaten Pitt or USF at the end of the season if Tyler was benched? No, it doesn't. But it does mean I wish I could be as damn sure as you are about alternate reality predictions that have nothing to do with facts on the ground.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I'd take the offensive performance we had against UVA at the Rent in '08 any day of the week. The numbers in the box score may not have been all that impressive but the limited passing we did was as efficient as I've seen at this level. TL was a surgeon in the first half carving up the Cav's defense.

Reaction Score
As I remember '08, we went 8-5 including bowl game. Cody was 1-1 as a starter and Zach was 0-2. If I do my math correctly, that means in the games that Tyler started we went 7-2. Does that mean we might not have beaten Pitt or USF at the end of the season if Tyler was benched? No, it doesn't. But it does mean I wish I could be as damn sure as you are about alternate reality predictions that have nothing to do with facts on the ground.

Zach had two road starts (UNC of the 3 punt blocks. Besides when is the last time UConn beat a UNC team in any sport?) and Rutgers (Donald Brown right, Donald Brown left, Donald Brown safety). Only when ZF was allowed to open the game up in the fourth quarter did the UConn offense start moving. A missed FG kept UConn from winning.

Cody upsets Cincy and had WVU on the ropes. Had a certain WR not dropped the ball in his hands, mid stride at the 5 yard line, perhaps Cody is 2-0.

As for TL, other than Syracuse (everybody's patsy), he generated very little offense in two losses (USF & Pitt) and handed off the ball to D. Brown in the Toronto Bowl against nationally ranked, Buffalo. Oh wait. . . they weren't.

Reaction Score
PER ESPN HE'S COMMITTED TO UCONN

UConn is next stop for Chandler Whitmer
in.gif

December, 14, 2011
DEC 14
9:37
AM ET

Butler County Community College quarterback Chandler Whitmer will return to the Football Bowl Subdivision after committing to play for UConn, multiple sources report.

Whitmer originally signed with Illinois in 2010 out of Downers Grove South (Ill.) High School as a high three-star prospect. He decided to transfer after losing a quarterback battle to redshirt freshman Nathan Scheelhaase.

The 6-foot-1, 200-pounder completed 180 of 316 attempts (57 percent) for 3,022 yards, 25 touchdowns and 14 interceptions this fall for Butler.

Memphis, Kent State and Texas State also offered Whitmer during this recruiting cycle. Auburn, Arkansas, Ole Miss and Baylor showed interest.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
No way of knowing how things will turn out, but I've got a great feeling about this kid. Welcome to UConn Chandler Whitmer.

Reaction Score
Let's hope this kid can get the ball to his WR's. Let's hope he ends the cycle of QB struggles at UConn.

Reaction Score
Let's hope this kid can get the ball to his WR's. Let's hope he ends the cycle of QB struggles at UConn.
And hope that if he gets it there those guys can hold on to it...we haven't exactly been blessed with great wide outs either...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom