JStew practice highlights | Page 3 | The Boneyard

JStew practice highlights

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I just don't see a similar game. J Stewart is more physical and bigger and can play more inside than Lamb. Lamb was a better shooter.
Their games aren’t similar but Lamb was the better player. The guy averaged 18 a game on almost 50% shooting as a sophomore. He reached the point as a player where he scored when he wanted to that year.

Reaction Score
Their games aren’t similar but Lamb was the better player. The guy averaged 18 a game on almost 50% shooting as a sophomore. He reached the point as a player where he scored when he wanted to that year.
I just don't see the similarities. One is more of inside physical player who can play defense and one is more of a thin guard who can shoot. I wasn't saying Stewart is better than Lamb. I just think their games are different. I think Stewart will make a big jump this year. Also, to compare Stewart now when he played on a stacked team with Lamb who was the 2nd or 3rd best player and needed to score is not fair at this point of their career.

Reaction Score
Can't say much about JStew, except he looks great and his potential is very exciting. Feel like we are having a Forrest Gump moment with our roster here, "box of chocolates, never know what is going to come out of it next", except in ths case we know it's going to be a basketball player on a great team!! Go Huskies. Keep those videos coming, satiate the summertime needs of the Yarders.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Stew's footwork is so good. Crafty dribble and a whole bag of moves he can go to get his shot up. Someone mentioned earlier that he now knows how to hunt better shots and I couldn't agree more. His game is going to flourish in a really impressive way. Last season he knew he essentially could not put a foot wrong on the court if he wanted to keep getting opportunities. He had to focus on hustle and effort, hyper focusing on being in all the right spots on both ends of the court for fear of losing the minutes he'd earned; because the team was that good. This season the x's and o's will be much more natural for him and the longer leash will see Jaylin Stewart become an All Conference level contributor with serious first round buzz. !

,..If the roster is somehow good enough to force Hassan into reprising his role as 6th man of the year (Mahaney/Stewart/McNeeley/Karaban/Reed jr) and Tarris can tip Samson for the starting center nod, this team is going to be such a nightmare for any opposition lol. Samson is essentially about to make his Sophmore leap with the maturity of a senior aged player. SJ didn't play as a freshman, was hurt all season after looking like he would be a major piece of the rotation, finally got a full season in as the first or second guy off the bench on the back to back national champions. This is only going to be Samson's 2nd season really playing. Huge leap incoming.

The "hunt better shots" observation is key. Stewart really came in to his own towards the end of last season when the game did the proverbial "slowed down for him". It's both odd and obvious when you can see a player learn how to play at pace and learn when/where/how to use their skill and athleticism to their best advantage.
A patient Stewart is a lethal Stewart.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I just don't see the similarities. One is more of inside physical player who can play defense and one is more of a thin guard who can shoot. I wasn't saying Stewart is better than Lamb. I just think their games are different. I think Stewart will make a big jump this year. Also, to compare Stewart now when he played on a stacked team with Lamb who was the 2nd or 3rd best player and needed to score is not fair at this point of their career.
I agree they aren’t similar. I hear you too, but Lamb was really good. He was one of the best scorers in the country that year.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Lamb had the defensive play of the 2011 Finals. His block of Shelvin Mack's early jumper messed Butler up all game.
Don’t forget how he took over against SDSU too on both ends to seal the game.

Who’d think a freshman can do something like that in big moments!

Reaction Score
Stew's footwork is so good. Crafty dribble and a whole bag of moves he can go to get his shot up. Someone mentioned earlier that he now knows how to hunt better shots and I couldn't agree more. His game is going to flourish in a really impressive way. Last season he knew he essentially could not put a foot wrong on the court if he wanted to keep getting opportunities. He had to focus on hustle and effort, hyper focusing on being in all the right spots on both ends of the court for fear of losing the minutes he'd earned; because the team was that good. This season the x's and o's will be much more natural for him and the longer leash will see Jaylin Stewart become an All Conference level contributor with serious first round buzz. !

,..If the roster is somehow good enough to force Hassan into reprising his role as 6th man of the year (Mahaney/Stewart/McNeeley/Karaban/Reed jr) and Tarris can tip Samson for the starting center nod, this team is going to be such a nightmare for any opposition lol. Samson is essentially about to make his Sophmore leap with the maturity of a senior aged player. SJ didn't play as a freshman, was hurt all season after looking like he would be a major piece of the rotation, finally got a full season in as the first or second guy off the bench on the back to back national champions. This is only going to be Samson's 2nd season really playing. Huge leap incoming.
Remember what he did to Edey in the title game. He beat him on offense with his explosiveness and speed. If he had not fouled out Edey wouldve gotten absolutely lit up by Samson. He simply could not keep up with him. An improved version of that player is a problem for the rest of the country. If he really is 230 and still moving the way he is in this video we could see a huge leap (pun intended lol) from Samson this upcoming season.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Can't say much about JStew, except he looks great and his potential is very exciting. Feel like we are having a Forrest Gump moment with our roster here, "box of chocolates, never know what is going to come out of it next", except in ths case we know it's going to be a basketball player on a great team!! Go Huskies. Keep those videos coming, satiate the summertime needs of the Yarders.
We don't need any single guy to be on every night. In all likelihood it will be a different guy stepping up on each night. Teams with that kind of depth are lethal and very hard to plan against.

Reaction Score
Not saying he’s going to be Caron Butler, but that’s my best comp for J Stew play style wise.

Feel like with the more talented guys on the team (Solo and Stew) there may be a little more one on one attacking and playmaking on offense this year.
There should be plenty of attacking and playmaking even within the team concept. We would often run dribble handoffs at the top of the key for Newton, Spencer, or Castle to get a defender in their hip and force the big to challenge the driver (leaving the lob threat open) or back off and let the driver get to the rim for a weakly contested finish.

Ball and Stewart should be equally capable without the offense having to devolve into 1-on-1 hero ball.

Reaction Score
Hurley has done a great job not becoming a one-and-done coach. I really hope this continues.
Most importantly, Hurley has shown that all sorts of players can thrive:
  • 1 and done
  • grad transfers
  • multi-year transfers
  • high-profile HS recruits
  • overlooked HS recruits
  • guys who played a lot as freshmen
  • guys who grew into a role over multiple years

He has a compelling pitch to any potential contributor and he has case studies to defend against virtually any negative recruiting.

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
We don't need any single guy to be on every night. In all likelihood it will be a different guy stepping up on each night. Teams with that kind of depth are lethal and very hard to plan against.
Damn, that sounds mighty familiar...

Reaction Score
I just don't see a similar game. J Stewart is more physical and bigger and can play more inside than Lamb. Lamb was a better shooter.
Lamb had a ridiculous mid range game - and like mentioned, a sophomore lottery pick. Can’t compare the two at all right now. Stew has some flashes last season, Lamb showed it in a full two years.

Reaction Score
Lamb had a ridiculous mid range game - and like mentioned, a sophomore lottery pick. Can’t compare the two at all right now. Stew has some flashes last season, Lamb showed it in a full two years.
Yep, and their games are just too different to really compare. Like you said Jeremy had some great mid range game and used his long arms to penetrate. He was also a better shooter. I do think we will see a big jump from J Stew and I can see his game really exploding if his outside shot starts falling. He has the tools to be a 3 level player. He has physicality to be more effective inside and rebound well.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lurkmore

Top Bottom