JPM Had No Interest in Bella Alarie, Despite Father Being Duke Alumnus | The Boneyard

JPM Had No Interest in Bella Alarie, Despite Father Being Duke Alumnus

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
See this article (which is interesting in other ways as well) from the Sunday New York Times for 3/17.

Bella Alarie is, of course, the star of this year's Princeton WBB team. Her father is Mark Alarie, who graduated from Duke and played in the NBA. According to the article, even while Bella was being recruited by several Ivy League colleges, the coach at Duke failed even to send a letter of interest.

Which may account for why Duke is doing so (ahem) well this year.

Bella is a 6-4 junior with guard skills who can play any position, and seems to be a clear candidate for the WNBA next year.

Reaction Score
Kara Wolters got no interest from her dad's alma mater Boston College
Steph Curry's dad Dell had an NBA career after playing at VaTech. The Hokies werent interested in his son.

Reaction Score
Alarie's HS Rankings:
  • ESPN #83
  • Blue Star #159
  • Prospects Nation NR

Reaction Score
I think the Ivy League is a very good fit for Alarie. Obviously her team runs through her on offense, and she gets to use her unique skill set for 6’4”.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Ivy Championship game Princeton /Penn 4PM ESPNU for those who want to scout.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
I think the Ivy League is a very good fit for Alarie. Obviously her team runs through her on offense, and she gets to use her unique skill set for 6’4”.
Ivy Championship game Princeton /Penn 4PM ESPNU for those who want to scout.

I happen to be watching that game.
- Not only do I think the Ivy League is a good fit for Alarie, I think Princeton Coach Courtney Banghart is a great fit for her, too. Banghart is a calming and you can tell she's having interactive exchanges with her players on the sidelines.
- Everything does, indeed, run through Alarie on offense and she generally sets up around the elbow and the foul line. She passes well.
- Some good young talent on that team: frosh Grace Stone (from LI Lutheran) and Julia Cunningham (Watchung Hills, NJ) and sophomore Carlie Littlefield, a pg from Iowa.

ND has played Penn the last two years and am always impressed with Coach Mike McLaughlin's defensive approach.
- 6'4" soph center Eleah Parker was the defensive player of the year in the Ivy League and she has an assortment of hooks inside the lane.
- Senior Guard Ashley Russell drives to the hoop well.

So, 31-30 at half. Alarie has 17 points.
-As much as she's improved over the years, I still think she's a colt in some respects. Some weight work, reps on particular offensive moves and not having to be everything might actually help. She'll have a good pro career.

- With all due respect, I still think Vandy made the wrong choice a few years back, choosing Steph White over Courtney Banghart or Niele Ivey for their HC position. If the situation arises, maybe Ms. Banghart might still end up at Duke, the "Princeton of the South." That might make up for Ms. Alarie not being considered by Coach P.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom