Joyner Holmes | The Boneyard

Joyner Holmes

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Great article in ESPNW. Link below.

Seems like a great young lady and which ever school gets her talent will be happy.

Of interesting note from the article:

"But Holmes has yet to narrow her choices down except to say that she is willing to leave Texas but wants to stay fairly close to home."

Not sure what "fairly close to home" means to her.

http://espn.go.com/espnw/news-comme...dalist-joyner-holmes-no-joke-basketball-court

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I think Holmes may end up at the REAL UT... Texas.

But Cedar Hill is about an hour north of Baylor and her new coach is a former Baylor player. Maybe she and Cox will want to play together in college.

Last edited:

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Out of state but fairly close has the smell of OU. I don't like that smell.

HGN

Reaction Score
From what I saw this summer , Joyner Holmes is a very good player. Strong and a good defender. I hope she gets to visit UConn and decides to come. Hopefully she liked winning that Gold medal this summer and wants to win some more Championships. Which may mean leaving the State of Texas.

[Mod edit. Please, no direct exhortations to recruits]

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
If Holmes restricts playing location, their will be many other excellent players who will not make such a restriction & be overjoyed to join us. We have the best to offer !

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I think Holmes is better than Cox and I really wanted her at Baylor but with Mompremier coming in at the 4 and Brown at the 5 I knew our chances were out the window.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I think Holmes is better than Cox and I really wanted her at Baylor but with Mompremier coming in at the 4 and Brown at the 5 I knew our chances were out the window.
I tend to agree - Holmes is stronger, more athletic, and more explosive. I got to see quite a bit of them when they played for Team USA, but I have not seen them lately. I hope she ends up at Texas.

I would have preferred her at UCONN but she eliminated us early...

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Any reason Holmes couldn't play the 3 at Baylor?

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Having seen them both play there is a difference in their games.

Holmes is super athletic. Just want to say that first.
They are definitely two of the best in the 2016 class. No doubts.

Comparing them?

Let's take both an offense and defensive possession.

Defensive rebound: Holmes will sky for the rebound. She will literally out jump everyone to snare the rebound.
Cox is fundamental. She will use her body to box out the defensive player and grab the rebound. Both get the rebound but they do it differently.

Offensive Play: let's say both are in the low post with their backs to the basket and a double team comes. Holmes will take a dribble or two and go up or around or sky over her defender for the shot.
Cox on the other hand if double teamed would maybe try the same initial move but instead of trying the shot she might wrap a pass around the defender to a wide open player on the other side.

Both again effective but they go about it differently.

I think both will have a huge impact at the next level.

Reaction Score
There's no place like home, except standing on a platform hoisting the NC trophy! That might be a little comfort to quell the pangs of homesickness. Of course there is only one place where that is as close to a guarantee as possible (and becoming the best player you can be), ANYWHERE else is a long shot.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Any reason Holmes couldn't play the 3 at Baylor?

I think she is strictly a 4/5. I could see Cox playing the 3 but I don't think that's where you want either spending a ton of time. There are 80 minutes for Mompremier, Brown and Cox to share at the 4/5 and Cox could pick up time at the 3.

Reaction Score
I read several comments by Lauren Cox after the U19 Tournament, and they were very thoughtful and intelligent. I must therefore conclude she'll be coming to UConn.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Having seen them both play there is a difference in their games.

Holmes is super athletic. Just want to say that first.
Super athletic is right. This past April, she long jumped 18'9 and triple-jumped over 4o'7 . . .

1. CCMSnB1VIAAMxqd.jpg

Reaction Score
I read several comments by Lauren Cox after the U19 Tournament, and they were very thoughtful and intelligent. I must therefore conclude she'll be coming to UConn.
Can you elaborate a little?

Reaction Score
Huskies Rule said:
"I read several comments by Lauren Cox after the U19 Tournament, and they were very thoughtful and intelligent. I must therefore conclude she'll be coming to UConn."
Sonny44 responds:
"Can you elaborate a little?"

Said tongue-in-cheek, Sonny. However, Lauren did have the opportunity to play with Napheesa and Crystal and saw first-hand what extraordinary players and teammates they were and would be going forward. Katie Lou missed the U19s, so Cox didn't get to see her game, but a kid could reasonably assume that adding the 2015 NPOY to that mix would result in an awesome foursome and likely the recipe for National Championships. Especially with a chef like Geno.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom