Joyner Holmes | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Joyner Holmes

Status
Not open for further replies.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Joyner has all the physical tools, though maybe she could be trimmer. I think her potential is very, very high. Right now, she is playing like a freshman, which is understandable. Very few freshmen didn't play like freshmen. Kia Nurse and Maya Moore are among them.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Joyner has all the physical tools, though maybe she could be trimmer. I think her potential is very, very high. Right now, she is playing like a freshman, which is understandable. Very few freshmen didn't play like freshmen. Kia Nurse and Maya Moore are among them.
I've re-watched the game again (finally), this time focusing on the #24 vs #24 matchup. As talented and athletic as Holmes is she ultimately struck me as a lazy player. A lazy and woefully out of shape player. She was frequently the last person down the floor and the first person back. Why? Because when she was on the floor she'd frequently do the in bounds after a basket. At one point Aston called her over to ostensibly tell her to stop doing the in bounds and run up court into position. Holmes was frequently the Hi to Lang's Low, so she'd be the first one back. But instead of running back she'd backpedal, which is really jogging backwards. As Geno would say, she's become very good at jogging. Even when she didn't do the in bounds she'd often be the last one back. Aston would sit her often because she became fatigued so quickly. Pheese ran her into the ground in the half court. Holmes was late on switches and sometimes just didn't cover Pheese at all. Pheese always stays on her toes, always moving. Interestingly from 5:19 in the third Geno ran the curl for KLS 4 out 5 possessions getting a 3, 2, a turnover, and a foul. Then at 1 min. ran it again for 2 , again with 25 secs. and got a foul call. Nice work. Yes Holmes made freshman mistakes, over dribbling, bad shots, and turning her head on defense. But not having you on the floor at critical mins. because of your conditioning is not my kind of player.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I've re-watched the game again (finally), this time focusing on the #24 vs #24 matchup. As talented and athletic as Holmes is she ultimately struck me as a lazy player. A lazy and woefully out of shape player. She was frequently the last person down the floor and the first person back. Why? Because when she was on the floor she'd frequently do the in bounds after a basket. At one point Aston called her over to ostensibly tell her to stop doing the in bounds and run up court into position. Holmes was frequently the Hi to Lang's Low, so she'd be the first one back. But instead of running back she'd backpedal, which is really jogging backwards. As Geno would say, she's become very good at jogging. Even when she didn't do the in bounds she'd often be the last one back. Aston would sit her often because she became fatigued so quickly. Pheese ran her into the ground in the half court. Holmes was late on switches and sometimes just didn't cover Pheese at all. Pheese always stays on her toes, always moving. Interestingly from 5:19 in the third Geno ran the curl for KLS 4 out 5 possessions getting a 3, 2, a turnover, and a foul. Then at 1 min. ran it again for 2 , again with 25 secs. and got a foul call. Nice work. Yes Holmes made freshman mistakes, over dribbling, bad shots, and turning her head on defense. But not having you on the floor at critical mins. because of your conditioning is not my kind of player.

Kick that lazy bum out of the NCAA and ban her for life. We don't need her kind littering up the courts. At a minimum, suspend her for at least two games (02/06/2017 and 02/20/2017).

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I'm really surprised by the negative comments about Holmes. She is a tremendous athlete with an INCREDIBLE upside that we will most likely see before the season is over. She has some parts of her game that she needs to clean up and I have no doubt that she will.

I know, I know. She will end up 1/10 of the player should could be if Geno coached her, but she is going to be pretty damn good anyway.

Reaction Score
Joyner seems like a player with immense upside and most probably will be a great player for UT. Like some others mentioned she does remind me of a bigger Charde H. Including the somewhat happy feet :)

Joyner will provide great entertainment. Looking forward to it.

Just click on the blue box for the video.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm really surprised by the negative comments about Holmes. She is a tremendous athlete with an INCREDIBLE upside that we will most likely see before the season is over. She has some parts of her game that she needs to clean up and I have no doubt that she will.

I know, I know. She will end up 1/10 of the player should could be if Geno coached her, but she is going to be pretty damn good anyway.

First, nitpicking freshman mistakes is a habit I and some others have learned from coach. Holmes is a stud. Once she learns not to shuffle her feet and keep her hands off ballhandlers she will be a terror.

And IMO Geno doesn't develop players unless they are driven to be developed. He isn't a motivator, he finds already highly motivated players and challenges & inspires them. A subtle difference.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Not sure people are reading the comments closely. Most of the issues are with what Aston let Holmes do. Nobody is questioning Holmes' ability.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score

So far this year, I've seen three freshmen with that "wow" factor. Or in Geno-speak, they are really good already and are going to be really, really, really good sooner rather than later: Dangerfield, Holmes, and Jackie Young.

Reaction Score
OK, what do you really think? I won't repeat all the comments by other posters about Holmes' potential and freshman flaws--although I think there is a kernel of truth in what Jordy says. Let's put aside the fact that Joyner is a wing and Crystal is a point guard. And put aside the composition of next years class. Your Geno and get a call from Karen offering to swap JH for Crystal, even up, no cash, no draft choice. Just yes or no? I'm in the no camp.

Reaction Score
I had the same reaction as some: What would she be like if the UConn staff were coaching her?

JordyG

Reaction Score
Kick that lazy bum out of the NCAA and ban her for life. We don't need her kind littering up the courts. At a minimum, suspend her for at least two games (02/06/2017 and 02/20/2017).
Ain't you sweet. I'd settle for a sterner hand as a coach and an attitude adjustment. Though you may want her to go to Baylor.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score

you know how us UConn fans are

Reaction Score
Why the heck would she lose confidence? She's 3rd on her team in scoring (10.5 ppg) and 2nd in rebounding. Every Texas game I've seen thus far, she makes at least 3 plays that make me go "wow." She also makes some mistakes and not always the best decision, but my God, she's going to be more than okay. I just don't get all this doomsaying about other teams' talent.

You are absolutely right. She will be more than ok.

I think she has the talent to be the most dominant big in college. you can see it is in her. if I am playing against Texas and she out top dribbling, I am taking a deep breath and saying "Thank you Jesus"

Just to be clear, I never questioned her talent, just the coaching that allows her to minimize it.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Freshman early in their freshman year - big learning curve. Coaching - give them a few months (better a full season) to work things out with very talented freshmen.

NB Stewart having the equivalent of a DNP - coaches decision against Baylor in the middle of her freshman year should give all Boneyarders pause before being overly critical of other coaches/freshman. (And Moriah wasn't exactly lighting it up in her freshman year mid-December!)

Reaction Score
Uh, did you see Kelsey Lang as a freshman or sophomore? How about Boyette's improvement over 4 years?

Texas as a team has made drastic improvements year to year in Aston's short time at UT. Those drastically improved team performances are not just a function of recruiting.
Like art and music, evaluations of talent often vary. Agree with your thoughts. There have been times when KLS and Danger have taken some wild shots, missed defensive assignments, etc. as some of the TX youngsters did. Would not trade either one and would not underestimate Texas's talent, now and in future. They have some nasty guards to go with some big bodies and its still early in year. Would just as soon not see them in March.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Freshman early in their freshman year - big learning curve. Coaching - give them a few months (better a full season) to work things out with very talented freshmen.

NB Stewart having the equivalent of a DNP - coaches decision against Baylor in the middle of her freshman year should give all Boneyarders pause before being overly critical of other coaches/freshman. (And Moriah wasn't exactly lighting it up in her freshman year mid-December!)
Actually, if Joyner Holmes were on the UConn roster and were performing as she did on Sunday, I would expect her to get about 7 minutes of playing time (just like freshman Stewie did) against Baylor or ND. And yes, he might bench her completely in other games until she got in shape to play. He wouldn't leave her on the court when the game was on the line to be run ragged by an opponent like Napheesa.

And on a similar subject, has anyone noticed that Natalie Butler, despite 2+ years in Storrs, doesn't seem to be in shape to play 30+ minutes in a fast game either? It still seems necessary to meter her minutes because of conditioning issues -- more so than any other UConn player.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
And we'll take Cox. Baylor really doesn't need her. She has the bigger upside.

I agree that Cox has a lot of upside. She is a better athlete that some had implied here. She really runs the floor very well and it is not uncommon for her to be the first one down the floor in transition, resulting in layups. But she needs to get stronger so that she can take contact and finish. Luckily, she has time to develop while playing behind three strong post players. I am not sure that she will have a major impact this season but the talent is there but not yet being revealed.

JordyG

Reaction Score
I agree that Cox has a lot of upside. She is a better athlete that some had implied here. She really runs the floor very well and it is not uncommon for her to be the first one down the floor in transition, resulting in layups. But she needs to get stronger so that she can take contact and finish. Luckily, she has time to develop while playing behind three strong post players. I am not sure that she will have a major impact this season but the talent is there but not yet being revealed.
I'm a now and always was a big Cox fan. I don't see strength as her issue as much as positioning and better footwork inside on offense and defense. She has good shooting form, but her offensive game needs to be more consistent. As does her defensive game. A coach couldn't ask for a player with a better attitude. That young lady is going to be a major impact player on the D1 level. Every year I see young ladies enter WCBB with unbelievable athletic ability. Some with transcendent ability. Abilities are potentials. But I don't see many players. Cox in my opinion is a player. Collier is a player. Plum is a player. And players make plays, not highlights.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Actually, if Joyner Holmes were on the UConn roster and were performing as she did on Sunday, I would expect her to get about 7 minutes of playing time (just like freshman Stewie did) against Baylor or ND. And yes, he might bench her completely in other games until she got in shape to play. He wouldn't leave her on the court when the game was on the line to be run ragged by an opponent like Napheesa.

And on a similar subject, has anyone noticed that Natalie Butler, despite 2+ years in Storrs, doesn't seem to be in shape to play 30+ minutes in a fast game either? It still seems necessary to meter her minutes because of conditioning issues -- more so than any other UConn player.
Try carrying her weight (and she is not overweight, just tall and strong) up and down the court in a fast paced game. Geno has played her 15+ minutes straight and she has been busting up and down the court for the full 15 minutes. Not many bigs, college or pros get used for 15 minutes straight without a minute or two breather before or after a quarter break. It would be like giving Lou or Napheesa a 30 pound backpack and asking them to play the game with it strapped to their back, or a 40 pound one for Gabby.
I think you are wrong, and I think if you look back at Stef's games her junior and senior year you would see the same thing - she may have played a few 35+ minute games but if she did, she was hurting. I have never thought Butler's minutes were being curtailed because of stamina/conditioning this year - just standard rotations - she doesn't start either half, and he uses Lou as a wing and two guards more than he uses Lou as a guard with the three forwards being Butler, Collier, and Williams.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I'm a now and always was a big Cox fan. I don't see strength as her issue as much as positioning and better footwork inside on offense and defense. She has good shooting form, but her offensive game needs to be more consistent. As does her defensive game. A coach couldn't ask for a player with a better attitude. That young lady is going to be a major impact player on the D1 level. Every year I see young ladies enter WCBB with unbelievable athletic ability. Some with transcendent ability. Abilities are potentials. But I don't see many players. Cox in my opinion is a player. Collier is a player. Plum is a player. And players make plays, not highlights.

Well said. Ieshia Small is a perfect example. To see her move you would think that she was going to kill in it college. But she was so unpredictable that Mulkey couldn't put her on the court in close games, and it looks like the same may be true at Maryland. Some players are "basketball players" and, as you said not highlight makers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom