Joy Cheek Named Asst Coach @ Duke | The Boneyard

Joy Cheek Named Asst Coach @ Duke

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Was Geno wrong to hire Jamelle Elliott? Duke's obviously a bit time program, but UConn had already won a national championship and been to three Final Fours at that point with a much bigger following.

I have no idea how successful Cheek will be as an assistant coach, but I don't think experience matters that much if the right person for the job is chosen. What duties assistant coaches have varies widely from program to program. The one thing I do know about Cheek is that her resume as a student was impressive enough for her to intern at the White House. That sounds like the type of person that would make a good role model for Duke basketball players, which will probably be her biggest assignment both with the Duke team and during recruiting.

Agreed. Graduate assistant, fine. Assistant coach, no.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Was Geno wrong to hire Jamelle Elliott? Duke's obviously a bit time program, but UConn had already won a national championship and been to three Final Fours at that point with a much bigger following.

I have no idea how successful Cheek will be as an assistant coach, but I don't think experience matters that much if the right person for the job is chosen. What duties assistant coaches have varies widely from program to program. The one thing I do know about Cheek is that her resume as a student was impressive enough for her to intern at the White House. That sounds like the type of person that would make a good role model for Duke basketball players, which will probably be her biggest assignment both with the Duke team and during recruiting.
Maybe, but with two vacancies, they need an experienced person for the other one.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Maybe, but with two vacancies, they need an experienced person for the other one.
That was my thought. it would be like tennessee losing Holly Warlick and Micki Demoss and starting with a replacement of Sidney Spencer...

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

There was only one vacancy. Candace Jackson was hired to replace S. Williams a few months ago. She has about 6-7 years of experience.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
There was only one vacancy. Candace Jackson was hired to replace S. Williams a few months ago. She has about 6-7 years of experience.
Thanks. I had missed that. That's more balance, but it sounds like a net loss of experience between the 2 positions. Hopefully, they will bring energy and relate to the players perhaps better than more experienced coaches.

Reaction Score
On the men's side, Coach K has had very good results hiring former players with no coaching experience as assistants. Wojo, Nate James, Quin Snyder, David Henderson and Tommy Amaker all fall into that category. Chris Collins had only a couple of years of experience. Mike Brey , who was not a Duke graduate, only had experience as a HS assistant before becoming an assistant at Duke. It appears that having played for the coach and having an understanding the academic expectations of the school make former players good recruiters.

Edited to add that I forgot Johnny Dawkins.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
On the men's side, Coach K has had very good results hiring former players with no coaching experience as assistants. Wojo, Nate James, Quin Snyder, David Henderson and Tommy Amaker all fall into that category. Chris Collins had only a couple of years of experience. Mike Brey , who was not a Duke graduate, only had experience as a HS assistant before becoming an assistant at Duke. It appears that having played for the coach and having an understanding the academic expectations of the school make former players good recruiters.

Edited to add that I forgot Johnny Dawkins.
I see them on the bench. Do they get "Assistant Coach" titles the year after graduation?

Reaction Score
I see them on the bench. Do they get "Assistant Coach" titles the year after graduation?
Wojo graudated in 1998 and was hired as an assistant coach in 1999 with no coaching experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom