Joshua Smith | The Boneyard

Joshua Smith

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
We had a thread on him a couple weeks ago when he decided to transfer, and most posters seemed to shrug it off and make fun of his weight (including me). The more I consider it, though, the more I think he could be a huge piece to next seasons team if Ollie decides to recruit him.

Hear me out:

- The first thing (and possibly only thing) you need to know about him is that he's 6'10, 305 pounds. Now, I love this years UConn team, I really do, but never in all my time watching UConn basketball have I seen a group of interior players get pushed around as much as I have this year. Giffey and Olander play their asses off, and I'm eternally grateful for their decisions to stick it out when so many others bolted, but , Leslie and Howell shoved those kids around like they were a couple of rag dolls. Josh Smith is built like a truck, and he is fourth (4th) for his career in the pac-12 in total rebounding percentage. Some quick math tells me that per 40 minutes, Josh Smith has averaged over 11 rebounds in his UCLA career. Add a kid who can rebound at that rate to this years team, and suddenly they're a top 20 team.

- He adds another dimension to the offense. In his first year at UCLA, he averaged 10.9 points on 56% shooting in only 22 minutes per game. In his second year he averaged 9.9 points on 57% shooting in only 17 minutes per game. In his career at UCLA, he has scored over 20 PPG per 40 minutes on 57% shooting. Obviously he won't be this potent offensively playing 30+ minutes, but the point stands that this kid can score in the paint at a rate that dwarfs anybody on our current team.

- The elephant in the room here (no pun intended) is his weight and conditioning. There have been a lot of unflattering stories about his diet and desire to be a great basketball player. However, speaking as somebody who isn't exactly a vegetarian, and likes to sleep as much as humanly possible, I can tell you that even I get fired up to hit the gym when I hear Kevin Ollie speak. We still don't know how good of a coach Kevin Ollie really is (although I think he can be a good one), but the one thing we know for sure is that he has created a culture of hard-work here at UConn. The one thing that nobody has ever doubted about Joshua Smith is his talent level, and if Ollie can get him to put his ten toes on the table, and commit to working his ass off, I believe he could be a force in the paint. Worst case scenario, he improves his conditioning marginally, and he can give us a solid 15-20 minutes a game, akin to Okwandu, just playing at a much higher level. His PER (player efficiency rating) during his two seasons at UCLA were 26.2, and 25.8 respectively, both exceptionally high marks. These numbers would seem to suggest he has a solid foundation of defensive fundamentals, so I don't think he'll hurt us much if at all on that end of the court.

This seems like a low-risk, high reward proposition for UConn. Worst case scenario, he adds some much needed depth to the frontcourt. And maybe getting away from the temptaions of Los Angelos will prove to be a good thing.

This potentially gives us a 2012-13 roster of:

Boatright/Napier/Samuel
Napier/Calhoun
Calhoun/Giffey/Tolksdorf
Daniels/Facey/Olander/Nolan
Smith/Wolf/Facey

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
He would have to sit out a year when transferring. Wouldn't be any help next year

Reaction Score
I'd gladly take him, the kid can play. However, all of the statistics about 40 min per game shouldn't really be considered. He has to stay on the floor for that long and he won't with his conditioning.

Reaction Score
He would have to sit out a year when transferring. Wouldn't be any help next year

Actually, since he's transfering at the end of the fall semester, he'd be available to play at the end of finals in Dec 2013.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Actually, since he's transfering at the end of the fall semester, he'd be available to play at the end of finals in Dec 2013.
Oh yeah, that's right. Go get his fat ass then!

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
He's going to Georgetown.

Reaction Score
I would take this kid in a second, and same thing with Tyler Lamb. I usually question transfers but these guys don't seem shady. Something weird is going on at UCLA and these kids need a change of scene. I'm not sure if this has been posted, but we are in Tyler Lamb's top 3 according to ESPN Insider.

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/features/rumors/_/date/20121204#9142

Tyler Lamb eyeing three schools
  • UNLV -- visited 12/1
  • Gonzaga
  • UConn
Three schools have emerged as the possible leaders to land UCLA transfer Tyler Lamb, who along with roommate Joshua Smith left the Bruins over the past 10 days.
Mike Grimala of RunRebs.com tweeted on Monday that the rising junior combo guard visited UNLV over the weekend and is also drawing interest from Gonzaga and UConn.
We are sure this list will grow in the coming weeks, but it is interesting that Lamb would take his first visit to UNLV. Though the Rebels' frontcourt is noticeably deep, the team is stacked at the wing position, and neither Katin Reinhardt nor Bryce Dejean-Jones appear ready to leave Las Vegas after this season. If Lamb does settle on Dave Rice's squad, how would he fit offensively? Where would his shots come from, especially since both Reinhardt and Dejean-Jones have (so far) shown little hesitation when on the court.
The 6-foot-5 Lamb was just starting to come into his own after starting 32 games as a sophomore last season, and played only one game this season before transferring so he's expected to have to years of eligibility remaining at his next school.
We'll continue to keep an eye on this and let you know when we hear more.
- Joe Kaiser

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
If Smith is willing to buy into what Coach Ollie will require and Caoch Ollie wants him, then I am all for it...same thing for Lamb

Reaction Score
I'd gladly take him, the kid can play. However, all of the statistics about 40 min per game shouldn't really be considered. He has to stay on the floor for that long and he won't with his conditioning.

I understand he likely will never be a 30+ MPG player, my point is he's proven to be very efficient. Even if he only plays 15 minutes a game, that's a huge upgrade over what we have now.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
On one side, I want big bodies this year. On the other side, Enosch Wolf is becoming the next Pau Gasol so he needs to develop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom