Josh Carlton @ Hoophall | The Boneyard

Josh Carlton @ Hoophall

Reaction Score
This was the first time I've seen Carlton play in person. He'll eventually be a quality big, but keep your expectations low for next year. My net take away is that he has skills but doesn't play hard. On a 1-10 scale I would categorize his general effort as 2-3. He takes the effort to a 7-8 in very short duration productive bursts then settles back. This is what I saw:

He has size and broad shoulders that suggest his current 225lbs will eventually be 240-250 like Enoch.
He isn't extremely athletic but adequate, Vance Jackson type average athlete.
He has poise and a calmness when he has the ball after a rebound or during a possession.
At times he demands the ball and makes excellent moves that resulted in baskets nearly every time (4x).
2 of those times were demonstrations of power and 2x ended with nice touch from 3'
Those times he demands the ball are separated by 20 trips where he drifts and does nothing.
He used his big body to set exactly 1 pick, that I noticed, in the whole game.
He jogs quickly from end to end but never actually runs.
He had 2 strong put back dunks on the offensive board without coming to the floor.
On defense at almost all times his arms are straight down at his side unless his man already has the ball.
He is content defensively to let his man go anywhere he wants while he walks there to play defense, just in case the guy gets the ball. He just turns his head to follow the movement of the ball, there was not one occasion where his arms were raised to cut passing lanes etc. His shorts should have pockets.
On the boards he jumps once but then stays attached to the planet while everybody else is up a second or third time. He still got some of those boards on his tip toes because in this game he was bigger.
(In this game he was playing 6'6 kids with more quickness so I never settled in my mind if that was a harder test for him vs playing a kid his own size and speed)
He passed cross court smartly out of double teams a couple times.
He showed enough skills for me to say that he would be a very good player if he played harder.
I'm sure he has never been asked to play defense for a full shot clock, taking away the ability of his man to receive the ball, and ending with boxing the guy off the boards.
He never went to the line so I can't comment on his foul shooting.
He never took an outside shot.
I will be impressed if they make him a good contributor as a freshman.
PS. DJ Harvey on Dematha, and Charles O"Bannon are both better than Diallo. I knew they could shoot better, but they both showed athleticism that wasn't far below Diallo. That surprised me.

Also, the world stopped when Shaq entered the house. Private security as if he needed any. Hard to describe how huge he is vs a normal person.

Reaction Score
Thanks Ricker. I've seen that on the video's a stayed away from the post. He doesn't crash from outside the lane, inconsistent boxing out but the good news she knows how to play the game. Smart enough that when he understands he really needs to do these things now (when at UConn) or stay on the pine, he will be coachable and turn into a nice player I have no doubt. The light will go off with this kid, hopefully sooner rathe than later but he has the goods.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Thanks for the thorough analysis.
Great quote on Shaq. What the hell was he doing there?

Reaction Score
He was wearing a compression sleeve on his left knee yesterday. Maybe some swelling there. Could explain his tentative play a little bit, although we've heard comments about his effort before.

Reaction Score
Thanks for the insight. Some people on this board expect him to start next year.Head bang

Reaction Score
Thanks for the insight. Some people on this board expect him to start next year.Head bang

No one hear discussed him as a starter, none that I saw at least. But there just happens to be some who are more optimistic of his potential than others and this is not a bad thing.:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Also, on a top high school team with 3 D1 players on it, you're not gonna try hard on every play. Everyone's gotta get theirs.

Reaction Score
He was wearing a compression sleeve on his left knee yesterday. Maybe some swelling there. Could explain his tentative play a little bit, although we've heard comments about his effort before.

Oh no, Ollie loves these injured players. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
No one hear discussed him as a starter, none that I saw at least. But there just happens to be some who are more optimistic of his potential than others and this is not a bad thing.:rolleyes:
At least one person opined he'd be starting in the second half or towards the end of next season

Reaction Score
At least one person opined he'd be starting in the second half or towards the end of next season
And maybe he will. It's not like he'll be competing against Shaq

Reaction Score
We really need a high-motor, aggressive big to at least change the tenor of practices and instill some badly-needed toughness back into our frontcourt.

I had hoped Diarra would be that guy, but he's hurt and may never play. Sounds like Carlton isn't that guy either.

Reaction Score
Out of curiosity, where are you hearing this from?

Oh, no inside info. Just what I've seen posted around here. Maybe there's not much to it and Diarra should be back for the next 4 years. I sure hope so.

Even if he doesn't do much in games, he'll at least demand more toughness from his frontcourt teammates in practice, something we've been sorely lacking.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom