Josh Carlton Highlights | The Boneyard

Josh Carlton Highlights

Reaction Score
So much better than Enoch. He's under rated and I'm happy to have him.

Our bigs this year are better than last years even though guys are young. Overall better bball IQ, but that's just from the vids we have on them.

Patience is a virtue.... looking forward to his development!

Reaction Score
He certainly has a clue around the basket, pretty good hands and is tough for sure. Needs to get a left while in college but plenty to work with Josh.

Worst case scenario Rod Sellers type which would be welcome. Celling is good though.

Last edited:

Jaybo

I hate you
Reaction Score
Can't tell but he looks around 6'7" ish not 6'9"

Reaction Score
Kid has got some low post skills. Patience will be needed though. He will probably be in over his head at first due to our lack of depth, but he definitely will be good once he adjusts to college ball.

pj

Reaction Score
I think we're going to like our big men in a few years. Carlton needs strength and refinement but he has the right spirit.

Reaction Score
Looking good. Kid plays strong with good hands. Has an interior presence. Yyeessss! Good footwork, pretty mobile, seems to have an all around game for a big man. I'm sure he will develop the ability to turn the other way when he is looking to score.

Reaction Score
Between Carlton (who I have seen 2x in person besides clips) and Cobb (based on 1 full game video plus recent highlight clip), our play at the '5' is going to be markedly different. We may loose some end to end foot speed, shot blocking rim protection, and experience. But, we will gain outlet passing that advances the ball to our guards, poise with the ball in half court offense after actually catching it, less offensive fouls with the ball, more effective screens, pick and roll with actual rolls and less moving pick calls, assists from the 5 position, and holding position against strength players. (My personal disclaimer is I think Enoch was capable of all this, and with a better shot, but he couldn't stop fouling to stay on the floor). Carlton gives a little bump to carve out some space down low, Enoch completely displaced the opponent and picked up fouls. He just couldn't seem to master subtle use of strength and size vs acting as a bull.

If I was the opponent, I would try to make Cobb and Carlton guard a player at the foul line, and then drive by them to the rim. I think that lateral quickness will be their weakness. Our rim protectors in the past, would make up the ground with the ball in the air, or, make off the ball blocks. We will have to work out compensating schemes to not give up easy looks to the rim.

My prediction is that Cobb and Carlton will combine for more assists in year 1 than Brimah and Facey and Enoch had in their combined careers, even if their combined court time is 25-30 min per game. I don't know how many that is, but I think it is a low bar.

I like the change possibilities but I do wish we had 1 pure rim protector on the team for situational duty.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I'll say same thing about Carlton as I did about Cobb.

It looks like he's played in the post his whole life. He doesn't have to hesitate or think when he catches the ball. He has court awareness on where/when/how to spin, how to put a hip on a defender to seal off defender and how to use glass.

Plenty good enough for UConn.

Reaction Score
I'm impressed with both Carlton and Cobb. Only thing I'm yet to see from either is any type of jump shot. Its all layups and dunks. But they both appear to move well and have good awareness.

Reaction Score
I don't expect much offense out of him or Cobb, really. I do see a higher upside with Carlton though, dematha and the DC league are no joke.

If I can get decent rebounding, adequate defense, and solid screen setting out of Carlton by the end of the season, I'll be thrilled.

pj

Reaction Score
Between Carlton (who I have seen 2x in person besides clips) and Cobb (based on 1 full game video plus recent highlight clip), our play at the '5' is going to be markedly different. We may loose some end to end foot speed, shot blocking rim protection, and experience. But, we will gain outlet passing that advances the ball to our guards, poise with the ball in half court offense after actually catching it, less offensive fouls with the ball, more effective screens, pick and roll with actual rolls and less moving pick calls, assists from the 5 position, and holding position against strength players. (My personal disclaimer is I think Enoch was capable of all this, and with a better shot, but he couldn't stop fouling to stay on the floor). Carlton gives a little bump to carve out some space down low, Enoch completely displaced the opponent and picked up fouls. He just couldn't seem to master subtle use of strength and size vs acting as a bull.

If I was the opponent, I would try to make Cobb and Carlton guard a player at the foul line, and then drive by them to the rim. I think that lateral quickness will be their weakness. Our rim protectors in the past, would make up the ground with the ball in the air, or, make off the ball blocks. We will have to work out compensating schemes to not give up easy looks to the rim.

My prediction is that Cobb and Carlton will combine for more assists in year 1 than Brimah and Facey and Enoch had in their combined careers, even if their combined court time is 25-30 min per game. I don't know how many that is, but I think it is a low bar.

I like the change possibilities but I do wish we had 1 pure rim protector on the team for situational duty.

Great points all. Don't forget the reduction in turnovers we'll see. Enoch turned the ball over on 1/3 of his touches, and Brimah was close behind. We'll at least have guys who don't hurt us, and they'll be better screeners too due to their wider bodies, greater court awareness, and willingness to dig into all aspects of the game. We're giving up a bit on defense and will need more of those rotating double teams in the paint that JC got so much mileage out of, but overall the reduction in negative plays is going to be huge.

Reaction Score
I'm impressed with both Carlton and Cobb. Only thing I'm yet to see from either is any type of jump shot. Its all layups and dunks. But they both appear to move well and have good awareness.

If we need Cobb or Carlton to start hitting jumpshots then we are absolutely screwed. Confir_ed.

Reaction Score
How many saw him live in Springfield? Any thoughts on that performance? I was able to make it there.

Yankees32123

'99, '04, '11, '14, '23, ‘24
Reaction Score
I'm feeling a little better about our front court after seeing Cobb and Carlton highlights. Carlton especially will need patience, but the skills are there. Front court by committee this season, similar to 2012-2013 and 2013-14.

Reaction Score
Great points all. Don't forget the reduction in turnovers we'll see. Enoch turned the ball over on 1/3 of his touches, and Brimah was close behind. We'll at least have guys who don't hurt us
Cobb was a turnover machine in JuCo fwiw. Tries a ton of passes he shouldn't. When they come off they're spectacular, but quite often they don't.

He'll get benched for that more than once this year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wilson

Top Bottom