Jordan Todman | The Boneyard

Jordan Todman

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Deceptively fast and strong. Edsall did a great job targeting, landing and developing him. Once Frey left we really haven't had a back anywhere near the caliber of Brown, Todman or Dixon and Frey either. Mystery to me. Of course, we did have really cool zone blocking and a duck*ing mad scientist for a OC and OL coach.

Reaction Score
Deceptively fast and strong. Edsall did a great job targeting, landing and developing him. Once Frey left we really haven't had a back anywhere near the caliber of Brown, Todman or Dixon and Frey either. Mystery to me. Of course, we did have really cool zone blocking and a duck*ing mad scientist for a OC and OL coach.

People have quickly forgotten how good Lyle M. was his freshmen year. When the O-line was still decent at run blocking, he put up numbers. He wasn't in the class of the Firm of Brown, Dixon, and Todman, but he was better than Frey.

Reaction Score
And enough plays to wallpaper a house...

Reaction Score
People have quickly forgotten how good Lyle M. was his freshmen year. When the O-line was still decent at run blocking, he put up numbers. He wasn't in the class of the Firm of Brown, Dixon, and Todman, but he was better than Frey.
I have not forgotten at all. He wasn't that good. He was given the rock a ton of times as a freshman, therefore he was a 1,000 yard rusher. His average of 4.2yrds a carry is not that good for college football. The thing that frustrated me the most was the minute someone touched his shoelace, he went down. I have always felt that the board was 50/50 on Lyle as a good RB, but this kid just didn't excite me when he was on the field.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
When Todman committed, the football staff felt he was one of the top 5 high school running backs on the east coast. He was truly special here at UCONN and I am glad he gets a chance to show his stuff with Jacksonville.

I remember his high school high light video with the thick Boston accent - Jawwwwwdon Todman for the touchdown

Reaction Score

In some of his runs last night, he looked a lot like the Todman of old. He put himself in good position, waited for his linemen to get out in front, found a seam and bolted through it. Just like that long run he had against Notre Dame in the first half.

Reaction Score

I would take Frey over McCombs any day. Frey brought so much to special teams and I think would have done very well from scrimmage if given some carries. I also suspect that Frey was probably the fastest kid on that team for a number of years. He had great wheels.

Reaction Score
no he wasn't... I love McCombs heart, but he wasn't better than Frey... Frey had size on him for one, and he was faster... vision was similar... McCombs might've been a little more durable than Frey, but no way was he better.. If Frey was a UCONN a few years later, he'd have beaten out McCombs for the starting nod... they'd probably share some cares, with Frey getting the majority....

Reaction Score
Frey was a better player because of what he could do on specials. Don't know I'd say he was a better RB.
That's why I said if he had been on the same teams as McCombs... we never gotta chance to see what he could do if he had that opportunity from the start if he came to UCONN a few years later...

Reaction Score
no he wasn't... I love McCombs heart, but he wasn't better than Frey... Frey had size on him for one, and he was faster... vision was similar... McCombs might've been a little more durable than Frey, but no way was he better.. If Frey was a UCONN a few years later, he'd have beaten out McCombs for the starting nod... they'd probably share some cares, with Frey getting the majority....

I was a Frey fan, but as a RB he wasn't as good. He wasn't elusive and he didn't really power through tackles...but his straight line speed was great. Note: I am not saying he wasn't good....just not as good.

Reaction Score
I would take Frey over McCombs any day. Frey brought so much to special teams and I think would have done very well from scrimmage if given some carries. I also suspect that Frey was probably the fastest kid on that team for a number of years. He had great wheels.
FACT...Along with the thoughness and attitude of a linebacker.

Reaction Score
I think people also forget that we had 8 years of NFL caliber full backs in Dion Anderson and Richard Sherman. The pass protection also declined after we had no longer had an NFL full back.

Reaction Score
... and Richard Sherman.

Husky Say Wut.jpg

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score

What you said.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I was a Frey fan, but as a RB he wasn't as good. He wasn't elusive and he didn't really power through tackles...but his straight line speed was great. Note: I am not saying he wasn't good....just not as good.

Agreed with both. Frey had great top end speed and could sustain it, but wasn't explosive quick.

Reaction Score
I think people also forget that we had 8 years of NFL caliber full backs in Dion Anderson and Richard Sherman. The pass protection also declined after we had no longer had an NFL full back.

That's a very good point, and both of them were monsters on specials. Remember the game against North Texas (?). Sherman pasted a kid twice covering two kick-offs. On the second one I was honestly concerned for the young man's safety. It ended his afternoon.

ahhhh....the days when we used to hit people. We have had nothing even remotely close to Anderson and Sherman, neither Frank or Clax or the other kid can even get to the blocks.

Can't remember if Anthony Sherman was a "proto-type" or not.....but the NFL evidently thinks so........

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Can't remember if Anthony Sherman was a "proto-type" or not.....but the NFL evidently thinks so...
His last game at UConn was the Fiesta Bowl. It would not have mattered if he was or was not prototypical.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom