Jordan Brand Classic | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Jordan Brand Classic

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
We can't let McNeely leave without signing tomorrow. Full court press....

He'd be the best shooter to ever put an UConn jersey on if he commits.

Wrong

<-- post/avatar

Reaction Score
One of the best All-Star games I've seen in a while. Highly entertaining but the kids played hard too. A few random notes:

-Ahmad Nowell is going to be fun. He's shorter than the guards we've typically been getting (I'd argue he's 6-0 with shoes on) but he is strong and tough. He's going to be just fine utilizing being shorter to get underneath defenders. I expect a lot of little dump off passes for Samson and Hoss for dunks next season. He's also going to be a menace in transition and at attacking the hoop. We haven't had a traditional, past first PG in a while either, so it wouldn't shock me if he can pass the 200 assist mark in a season at some point (which has only happened 6 times for us). I worry about his defense given his size, but again his strength means he won't get bullied and he'll be able to fight around screens. Plus, he seems to have active enough hands. Don't think he'd start over Hass (even though Hass at the 1 isn't ideal per se) but feel like he'll easily play 20mpg (which is what Hass played this last year). Didn't shoot all that well but stroke looks good enough.
-Liam McNeeley is a like a taller Cam Spencer with a better shooting stroke. He's always in the right place at the right time and is always looking to make a positive play, even if it doesn't involve him shooting. The staff would use him EXACTLY like Hawk and Cam, so many open 3s from screens. He seems to have a good sense to make passes too off those screens, especially given that he's 6-7/6-8 he can see over a lot of opposing defenders and watch plays develop. Legit could be our leading scorer next year if Karaban doesn't return, he's that perfect for our offense. A 15/6/4 stat line is not out of the question, even as a freshman.

Others:
-Cooper Flagg is legit. He didnt have the best game by his standards but anyone who tries to belittle his game is just a hater. Dude is the best 3-level scorer at this level since Kevin Durant. Makes a very big impact on D too. We'll see how far he can take Duke pretty much by himself.
-Derik Queen was so fun to watch. Shame he's probably going to waste at Maryland. He's just a big body but nimble on his feet/excellent footwork. Has good handles too for his size. Maryland games are going to be worth the watch just to see him play. Watched a few of his Montverde games (with Cooper and Liam) and he was def the 2nd most fun player to watch after Cooper (although Liam passed him last night ;) )
-Dylan Harper is a prime time player. Awesome to see him embrace the moment. Type of guy who can single handedly win a few games in March, which is easier said than done for Rutgers if they're even going to make it there. He's going to light up the RAC but just hope for his sake they have a roster besides him and Ace Bailey.

Reaction Score
I didn’t watch the game but what scouting report with Nowell as a shooter? Is he like Cadeu from UNC who can’t shoot or does he have a shot?

Reaction Score
Karaban actually is a decent athlete and a pretty good jumper. That is why he blocks shots. I think Karaban is actually better athlete than McNeely or at least they are both on par. I agree with Spencer being worst athlete but is just so crafty with the ball which McNeely isn't. What McNeely has on both of them is he is a better pure shooter with a quick release.
Mcneeley did a through the legs windmill jam in warmup line yesterday.

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
Have you seen ray allen?

One of the best All-Star games I've seen in a while. Highly entertaining but the kids played hard too. A few random notes:

-Ahmad Nowell is going to be fun. He's shorter than the guards we've typically been getting (I'd argue he's 6-0 with shoes on) but he is strong and tough. He's going to be just fine utilizing being shorter to get underneath defenders. I expect a lot of little dump off passes for Samson and Hoss for dunks next season. He's also going to be a menace in transition and at attacking the hoop. We haven't had a traditional, past first PG in a while either, so it wouldn't shock me if he can pass the 200 assist mark in a season at some point (which has only happened 6 times for us). I worry about his defense given his size, but again his strength means he won't get bullied and he'll be able to fight around screens. Plus, he seems to have active enough hands. Don't think he'd start over Hass (even though Hass at the 1 isn't ideal per se) but feel like he'll easily play 20mpg (which is what Hass played this last year). Didn't shoot all that well but stroke looks good enough.
-Liam McNeeley is a like a taller Cam Spencer with a better shooting stroke. He's always in the right place at the right time and is always looking to make a positive play, even if it doesn't involve him shooting. The staff would use him EXACTLY like Hawk and Cam, so many open 3s from screens. He seems to have a good sense to make passes too off those screens, especially given that he's 6-7/6-8 he can see over a lot of opposing defenders and watch plays develop. Legit could be our leading scorer next year if Karaban doesn't return, he's that perfect for our offense. A 15/6/4 stat line is not out of the question, even as a freshman.

Others:
-Cooper Flagg is legit. He didnt have the best game by his standards but anyone who tries to belittle his game is just a hater. Dude is the best 3-level scorer at this level since Kevin Durant. Makes a very big impact on D too. We'll see how far he can take Duke pretty much by himself.
-Derik Queen was so fun to watch. Shame he's probably going to waste at Maryland. He's just a big body but nimble on his feet/excellent footwork. Has good handles too for his size. Maryland games are going to be worth the watch just to see him play. Watched a few of his Montverde games (with Cooper and Liam) and he was def the 2nd most fun player to watch after Cooper (although Liam passed him last night ;) )
-Dylan Harper is a prime time player. Awesome to see him embrace the moment. Type of guy who can single handedly win a few games in March, which is easier said than done for Rutgers if they're even going to make it there. He's going to light up the RAC but just hope for his sake they have a roster besides him and Ace Bailey.
Next year's NBA draft class is formidable.

Reaction Score
I didn’t watch the game but what scouting report with Nowell as a shooter? Is he like Cadeu from UNC who can’t shoot or does he have a shot?
No, better than that. I think he can step in and be a low 30% 3P shooter day 1. He took a few they didn't look terrible, just didnt go in. Also hard to find your shots in these types of games. I don't think shooting is his forte but it doesn't need to be given what his role will be and what his strengths are.

Reaction Score
Mcneeley did a through the legs windmill jam in warmup line yesterday.
Karaban has also mentioned doing those in a podcast. I don't see McNeely being similar athletically to Alex was as far as jumping. Alex was a decent athlete too. Definitely better than Cam.

Reaction Score
Karaban has also mentioned doing those in a podcast. I don't see McNeely being similar athletically to Alex was as far as jumping. Alex was a decent athlete too. Definitely better than Cam.
Agree with a lot of the stuff you post but McNeely is a better athlete. I think itll be easier to see if he does play here and you see him in game.

Reaction Score
Agree with a lot of the stuff you post but McNeely is a better athlete. I think itll be easier to see if he does play here and you see him in game.
What I meant I see them being comparable in athletic talent but I guess we will find out more during Karban's NBA Draft combines. I think he will surprise. I do think McNeely is a better shooter with a nicer release. That is his key in being a first rounder. I would like Karaban improve his shot release as he has a hitch in it which leads to bouts of inconsistency.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom