Jordan Brand Classic | The Boneyard

Jordan Brand Classic

Reaction Score
Jones looked much better this time around. Made some really nice plays throughout the game. She, Belibi and Prechtel will make Stanford really good next year. Anaya Peoples is very good and will likely start next year for ND. She’s that good! Also impressed with Brea and Zia. Brea was the reason the Away squad pulled away in the fourth. Extremely tough around the rim and finishes well with both hands! Zia scored and made plays for her teammates too. Overall much better game than the McDAAg. Way more intensity and defense along with better passing and finishing.

Reaction Score
AllStar games are always hard to evaluate players in. Basically, because they usually play little defense. Both teams in the JBC went to full-court pressure at different times in the game. In the time I have been following the two All-Star games ( there was another one before the Jordan Brand Classic ) players seldom repeated either there good or not so good performances. Players performances will always vary, sometimes because of their chemistry with the players on their team.

Also as I always say-- You are never actually as good as your best game nor as bad as your worst.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Did anyone have a good game though? Only 3 of the 20 players shot 50% or better. Looks like a typical all-star game- for everyone.
With the massive caveat that I was not able to catch the game and there doesn't seem to be a way to stream it again, I was pretty impressed with a few of the players' performances:

Haley Jones was 8-17 which is just sub-.500, and she had 5 rebounds, 4 assists, and 2 steals (along with 2 TOs). Most impressive was her grit, to me, in seeing this highlight play where she dove for the ball, popped it out from the other player's feet, passed it to her teammate (couldn't quite tell who it was), and then got the rebound off her teammate's missed shot and turned it around for a score. That, to me, is someone who's more than just a shooter. You can watch for yourself - I thought it was a very impressive sequence:

I thought Aliyah Boston had an extremely solid stat line: 4-6 FG, 11 RB, 2 A, 1 BLK, 1 STL (albeit with 4 TOs) - a very complete performance.

Angel Jackson was also very efficient: 4-4 FG, 5-7 FT, plus 2 RB, 1A, 2 BLK, and 1 TO.

Fran Belibi also seemed like she had a great game: 4-9 FG and she got to the line to go 8-10, which suggests she can draw contact really effectively given that she only had 1 foul. She also had 8 offensive rebounds and 15 total, along with 2 A, 2 BLK, and 2 STL (along with 2 TO). That's a pretty massive performance and portends great things to come.

If anything, what I don't understand is how Zia Cooke got Home Team MVP over Belibi?? Compare their stat lines:

Belibi 4-9 | 0-1 3PT | 8 ORB | 7 DRB | 1 PF | 16 Tyler Phommachanh | 2 A | 2 TO | 2 BLK | 2 STL
Cooke 4-16 | 1-6 3PT | 0 ORB | 1 DRB | 2 PF | 12 Tyler Phommachanh | 2 A | 2 TO | 0 BLK | 2 STL

Cooke literally performed worse in every category except the fact that she made 1 three pointer on 6 attempts. She shot 25% and had more fouls and turnovers than rebounds. How in the world did that performance garner her team MVP? Do they just have a rule that they won't give both MVP awards to players headed to the same school? Cause Belibi's stat line is head and shoulders better in basically every respect.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Jones looked much better this time around. Made some really nice plays throughout the game. She, Belibi and Prechtel will make Stanford really good next year. Anaya Peoples is very good and will likely start next year for ND. She’s that good! Also impressed with Brea and Zia. Brea was the reason the Away squad pulled away in the fourth. Extremely tough around the rim and finishes well with both hands! Zia scored and made plays for her teammates too. Overall much better game than the McDAAg. Way more intensity and defense along with better passing and finishing.

The Stanford girls were all impressive. Jones is smooth and has an all around game. Belibi seems to always be in the right spot to grab a rebound. Prechtel has impressive passing and shooting ability at her size.

Anaya is going to be hard to keep out of the starting lineup. Very good passer, very good handles, and a nose for the ball (double-digit rebounds in this game). Also, she has very active hands on defense, which is the best way to earn PT as a freshman.

Brea and Zia both are amazingly talented. Zia was out of control at times. You have to be pretty out of control for Brooke Weisbrod, normally a cheerleader during these all-star games, to call you out for it. But hey, it's an all-star game. I assume she'll be a bit more in control for Dawn.

Maybe better than the McDonald's game but still an astonishing number of possessions with zero or one pass.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
If anything, what I don't understand is how Zia Cooke got Home Team MVP over Belibi?? Compare their stat lines:

Belibi 4-9 | 0-1 3PT | 8 ORB | 7 DRB | 1 PF | 16 Tyler Phommachanh | 2 A | 2 TO | 2 BLK | 2 STL
Cooke 4-16 | 1-6 3PT | 0 ORB | 1 DRB | 2 PF | 12 Tyler Phommachanh | 2 A | 2 TO | 0 BLK | 2 STL

Cooke literally performed worse in every category except the fact that she made 1 three pointer on 6 attempts. She shot 25% and had more fouls and turnovers than rebounds. How in the world did that performance garner her team MVP? Do they just have a rule that they won't give both MVP awards to players headed to the same school? Cause Belibi's stat line is head and shoulders better in basically every respect.

I watched a good chunk of the game (mid-2nd quarter to the end) and watching live without stats Cooke seemed like a reasonable choice. Then again, you will look like the MVP if every time you get the ball as a point guard you shoot or make the pass that leads directly to a shot.

All of Belibi's production was on putbacks and such. I had the sense that she had a ton of boards but I didn't know how many. It was a sneaky 16 and 15 to the extent such a thing is possible.

Cooke was out there trying to put on a show and had the spectacular plays. I was surprised she only had 2 assists. I think she had some nice dishes to teammates who missed layups.

Looking at the box score, Belibi was clearly the right choice, but it didn't strike me as wrong from having watched the game.

Reaction Score
The Stanford girls were all impressive. Jones is smooth and has an all around game. Belibi seems to always be in the right spot to grab a rebound. Prechtel has impressive passing and shooting ability at her size.

Anaya is going to be hard to keep out of the starting lineup. Very good passer, very good handles, and a nose for the ball (double-digit rebounds in this game). Also, she has very active hands on defense, which is the best way to earn PT as a freshman.

Brea and Zia both are amazingly talented. Zia was out of control at times. You have to be pretty out of control for Brooke Weisbrod, normally a cheerleader during these all-star games, to call you out for it. But hey, it's an all-star game. I assume she'll be a bit more in control for Dawn.

Maybe better than the McDonald's game but still an astonishing number of possessions with zero or one pass.

Your analysis on Zia is exactly why I think she’ll be at the 2 next year. She makes good decisions but I don’t think Dawn will have her play point with Harris and Henderson in gold. She needs to work on time and score and focus on getting her teammates more involved. I will say in the open court she’s a dynamo! Reminds me of Ogunbowale in that regard, to push tempo to score or find streaking teammates.

Brea will get major minutes early. She’s very strong around the basket and can drive left or right. She’s a very good defender and I can see Dawn matching her up against players like Chelsea Dungee and Rhyne Howard. One thing I would like for her to work on is becoming a better 3 point shooter. If she can hit the outside shot consistently I think she will be one of the toughest guards to stop in the SEC.

Reaction Score
With the massive caveat that I was not able to catch the game and there doesn't seem to be a way to stream it again, I was pretty impressed with a few of the players' performances:

Haley Jones was 8-17 which is just sub-.500, and she had 5 rebounds, 4 assists, and 2 steals (along with 2 TOs). Most impressive was her grit, to me, in seeing this highlight play where she dove for the ball, popped it out from the other player's feet, passed it to her teammate (couldn't quite tell who it was), and then got the rebound off her teammate's missed shot and turned it around for a score. That, to me, is someone who's more than just a shooter. You can watch for yourself - I thought it was a very impressive sequence:

I thought Aliyah Boston had an extremely solid stat line: 4-6 FG, 11 RB, 2 A, 1 BLK, 1 STL (albeit with 4 TOs) - a very complete performance.

Angel Jackson was also very efficient: 4-4 FG, 5-7 FT, plus 2 RB, 1A, 2 BLK, and 1 TO.

Fran Belibi also seemed like she had a great game: 4-9 FG and she got to the line to go 8-10, which suggests she can draw contact really effectively given that she only had 1 foul. She also had 8 offensive rebounds and 15 total, along with 2 A, 2 BLK, and 2 STL (along with 2 TO). That's a pretty massive performance and portends great things to come.

I will have to watch the game again. I am shocked that Cooke only had 12 points and 2 assist. Especially the assist line. Throughout the game they weren't showing you the stat live on twitter.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score

The streaming is working for me at @Jumpman23. The male announcer is a doofus but what can you do?

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
Even though Davenport didn’t have a good game scoring and shooting wise, her mobility and athleticism for a post player is very exciting. Good rebounding too. Really exciting to see her with Broughton and Morris next year.

Reaction Score
Even though Davenport didn’t have a good game scoring and shooting wise, her mobility and athleticism for a post player is very exciting. Good rebounding too. Really exciting to see her with Broughton and Morris next year.

She was very active and made some good plays. She’ll definitely fit Rutgers playing style.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Finally had the chance to stream the game. I'll second some others' thoughts and add a few on the players who stood out to me (either for good or for not so good):

Anaya Peoples looked fantastic - pushing the tempo and generating some really creative plays and passes. And a deceptively effective rebounder. She also has such a terrific presence on court - reminds me in a lot of ways of Skylar Diggins in terms of her charisma. I predict she'll become one of the Domers' all-time greats.

Haley Jones demonstrated all of her very diverse skillset much more so than the McD's game - it was clear why she was the no. 1 recruit based on this game. I do think she could work on her defense, but her offensive game is already complete. (And that's fine by Tara - her belief is that it's much easier to teach defense than offense.) I'll be very curious to see what position she tends to play at Stanford because she could sort of do anything between 1-4. But I'd be shocked if she weren't starting from day 1 (or very close to it).

Breanna Beal was a beast - she's tremendous finishing in traffic and in positioning herself for rebounds. I was very impressive with her movement, court vision, and physicality. She was a little wild at times, but the potential to be a top player is very evident. She reminded me a lot of Anriel Howard but a little faster and more agile.

Aliyah Boston was incredibly solid inside and had great chemistry with Jones. It's sad they'll be facing off against each other, because they had by far the best chemistry of any two players on the court.

Angel Jackson was also pretty impressive in a Chantel Osahor or Courtney Paris kind of way - very physical and imposing underneath the basket with enough movement and quick reflexes to be a threat on both ends of the floor. USC has a keeper provided she can up her fitness a bit to sustain 40-minute games.

Fran Belibi was easily the most athletic player in the game. Her natural talent is so evident, and she actually looked measurably better than even in the McD's game where I thought she performed pretty well. She and Jones were on each other all game and Jones actually stopped her best chance at an alley-oop dunk. Loved that the future teammates were gamely taking it to each other. I was also impressed with her defense - she gave 100% effort the entire time she was on the floor.

Jaden Owens was much, much better looking than she was in the McD's game. I think UCLA has its next Jordin Canada in the making - fast, great court vision, and very adept at getting steals. Nice distributor with enough offense from beyond the arc to keep defenses honest. She needs to work on her ball handling a bit though, as she had a lot of turnovers.

Personally, I was not as impressed with Zia Cooke to say she looked MVP-worthy. She has tremendous upside and evident talent, but at least in that game, she was so wildly out of control that a few of her passes seemed aimed for the bleachers rather than her teammates, and a few of her shot choices were beyond poor and not even close to the basket. On the other hand, she has great speed and an insanely beautiful teardrop jumper - the raw potential is definitely there, so Dawn will need to work to get her to exercise a lot more judgment in shot selection and passing.

Sam Brunelle had a poor shooting game which can happen to anyone in these kinds of games, but I will say that she didn't seem to have especially excellent fundamentals either. She was fine, but I would not have put her among the top 3 or 4 recruits in the country based on that performance compared to the above-mentioned, all of whom I found more impressive.

Kierstan Bell was uneven, but when she was on, she was tremendous. It's kind of too bad she's going to OSU because I doubt McGuff will be able to get her anywhere close to her full potential, based on his recent history.

Rickea Jackson had a very up and down game but you can see her potential - she's also someone who I think needs some coaching in terms of discipline and shot selection. Fortunately she, unlike Bell, it certain to get excellent player development coaching from Vic.

Overall, a much, much better game than the trainwreck that was the McD's game. I came away much more impressed with the 2019 class this time than last month.

Reaction Score
I will have to watch the game again. I am shocked that Cooke only had 12 points and 2 assist. Especially the assist line. Throughout the game they weren't showing you the stat live on twitter.

If I hadn't seen the stat line before I watched the game, I wouldn't have guessed she shot it so poorly, but knowing that I did see that she took a number of ill advised shots.

However, I thought she looked good. Created a lot of opportunities for the white was active with her hands.

Reaction Score
Black team had that three man game working with Haley Jones, Beal and Boston and that looked really good.

Boston and Beal were excellent in the fourth quarter.

I guess letting Haley Jones be a trigger really got the Black team running. Was the best extended series of minutes I've seen out of Jones honestly. I'm curious to see if she'll end up with as much room and open floor at stanford. That's her highest skill set.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom