Jordan Brand Classic Barclay Center 04/14 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Jordan Brand Classic Barclay Center 04/14

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Thanks.
I think Hayes and Westbrook, are ready.
You may be right. Anastasia is very quick, and Evina has a sweet shot.

I think Megan has a higher upside than Evina, but Meg shot like crap tonight. She's bigger than Evina.

Of players who played under control without showboating and were effective, no one was better than Coombs tonight. She had 7 assists in 20 minutes in an all-star game to go with double-digit points. She looks college ready.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score

I think Megan has a higher upside than Evina, but Meg shot like crap tonight. She's bigger than Evina.

Of players who played under control without showboating and were effective, no one was better than Coombs tonight. She had 7 assists in 20 minutes in an all-star game to go with double-digit points. She looks college ready.
Yeah I think Coombs will be real good. Evina just looks smooth.

Reaction Score
Saw most of the 1st half.

1-- Meg Walker can't shoot from the outside well but has real good handle. She needs shooters to surround her. And she has that at UCONN. If she has the necessary lateral quickness she can play anytime / anywhere. But offensively she can be handled until she can learn to shoot. She fits well with Lou. When Lou leaves - Meg will best as a sf. Her outside shot will determine how much of an impact she can be as a scorer vs elite teams. The talk of her being a starter at season's end is so wrong. Her defense is where she'll make her bones the bnext two years - and then hopefully her shot improves well enough.

2-- Coombs - Solid player. Tremendous block early in the game that shows off both her quickness and athleticism. And knocked down two 3's early. SO she should eb a decent shooter. Terrific athlete. Not really a scorer. Seems like she can be the type of guard to stop penetration.

3-- Gordon- very good shooter, gritty player. Knocked down 10 points in 1st half. Helped be a part of a big surge to initially come back. She's a 3/4. Gordon knows how to play.

Summary of Danger playing with these three and Andra is that they should be fantastic by the time they are jr's and sr's in which guard play is huge.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Saw most of the 1st half.

1-- Meg Walker can't shoot from the outside well but has real good handle. She needs shooters to surround her. And she has that at UConn. If she has the necessary lateral quickness she can play anytime / anywhere. But offensively she can be handled until she can learn to shoot. She fits well with Lou. When Lou leaves - Meg will best as a sf. Her outside shot will determine how much of an impact she can be as a scorer vs elite teams. The talk of her being a starter at season's end is so wrong. Her defense is where she'll make her bones the bnext two years - and then hopefully her shot improves well enough.

2-- Coombs - Solid player. Tremendous block early in the game that shows off both her quickness and athleticism. And knocked down two 3's early. SO she should eb a decent shooter. Terrific athlete. Not really a scorer. Seems like she can be the type of guard to stop penetration.

3-- Gordon- very good shooter, gritty player. Knocked down 10 points in 1st half. Helped be a part of a big surge to initially come back. She's a 3/4. Gordon knows how to play.

Summary of Danger playing with these three and Andra is that they should be fantastic by the time they are jr's and sr's in which guard play is huge.
I think Meg shoots better than she showed tonight. She shot FTs at 80% this season, so the form is there.

Makayla may not be a big scorer, but I think she can get 8, 10, 12 points by her sophomore year.

Reaction Score
I think Meg shoots better than she showed tonight. She shot FTs at 80% this season, so the form is there.

Makayla may not be a big scorer, but I think she can get 8, 10, 12 points by her sophomore year.

I know. I didn;'t want to make it sound like she can't score but her shot isn't that hot from what I read in the past and it showed. Some of her shots were airballs I think and she wasn't a good three point shooter in h/s. What she is - a tremendous athlete with very good handle. But you could see how a big team will be able to smother her or a very strong but slightly smaller guard able to keep her in front of her and not allow Meg to low post her.

And as for Combs- I agree.

I'm excited for both, moreso defensively though they could probably score easily at some point vs much less talented teams. The elite teams early on will have an answer for them imo. Which is no problem. The next two years UCONN should be prolific offensively anyways so their offense not extremely needed but of course can only help. Next year's team needs defense and imo both these kids could probably shine if that was their focus.

Last edited:

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score

Some things people didn't notice was how well she got back on defense, how on the money her passes were and how she pushed the pace. Also from the start the West team had more energy and played with a joy the East team never had. Right from the jump until the games end the East team were consistently caught not getting back on defense allowing 2 on 1's and 3 on 2's.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score

Walker tends to have a flat shot and doesn't always get her legs under her as was astutely pointed out during the McDonald's game. We wondered for a while why her shooting percentages have been so low in high school and in many AAU games. I think that flat shot and taking too many unbalanced, long jumpers explains it. I do like her form from mid-range so some tweaking could help. Shot selection needs to be better as well and Geno will make sure it does.

I have to be careful though. A former poster now lurker claimed pointing out Walker's flaws/weaknesses is tantamount to being anti-Walker. Who knew?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
For those lamenting Walker's shooting woes, a reminder that in her 4 seasons at UConn, DT never shot 50% from the floor or 40% from the arc. She was a high volume shooter who had some particularly bad shooting nights (NCAA championship freshman season).

All DT did was lead the team to 3 national championships. I think Megan will be just fine.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
"The next generation of Connecticut stars was on display Friday at the girls Jordan Brand Classic. And while not all of them were at their best – they showed off more than enough talent to make it clear that a new winning streak is likely to begin soon in Storrs.

Three future Huskies took part in the game. Mikayla Coombs and the West Team registered a dominant 122-81 victory against an East squad that included Lexi Gordon and Megan Walker.

Gordon put up the most points of the troika, tallying 14 for the losing East side. Coombs had a strong game for the victorious West – scoring 12 on 4-for-6 shooting. Of the three, only Walker struggled, putting up just four points on 1-for-11 shooting. But Walker, an American Family Insurance ALL-USA First Team selection from Monacan (Richmond, Va.) is the No. 1 ranked player in the espnW HoopGurlz 100, so Huskies coach Geno Auriemma likely isn’t fretting about this performance from a future star."

http://usatodayhss.com/2017/jordan-brand-classic-uconn-womens-basketball-coombs-gordon-walker

I really needed that!

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Walker tends to have a flat shot and doesn't always get her legs under her as was astutely pointed out during the McDonald's game. We wondered for a while why her shooting percentages have been so low in high school and in many AAU games. I think that flat shot and taking too many unbalanced, long jumpers explains it. I do like her form from mid-range so some tweaking could help. Shot selection needs to be better as well and Geno will make sure it does.

I have to be careful though. A former poster now lurker claimed pointing out Walker's flaws/weaknesses is tantamount to being anti-Walker. Who knew?

What_You_Talkin_Bout_Willis_Picture.jpg

Reaction Score
For those lamenting Walker's shooting woes, a reminder that in her 4 seasons at UConn, DT never shot 50% from the floor or 40% from the arc. She was a high volume shooter who had some particularly bad shooting nights (NCAA championship freshman season).

All DT did was lead the team to 3 national championships. I think Megan will be just fine.

Yes she did. In 01-02 it was a terrific 44% from 3. And shooting 40% from three or close to it is terrific. So in4 years DT shot from 3-- 38.6% 44%, 35%, and 39%. In Meg Walker's 1st two years I doubt she'll shoot in either more than 35% unless one year she goes 3 for 8. That's okay though - she doesn't need to be a great scorer and be a good 3pt shooter her 1st two years.

Anyhow - DT was an outstanding 3pt shooter. Her career shooting threes at 39.2% is an efg% of 58.82%.

UCONNHUSKIES.COM :: University of Connecticut Huskies Official Athletic Site :: Women's Basketball

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom