Johnson a factor for us in the post?? | The Boneyard

Johnson a factor for us in the post??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
In various threads over time, I see alot of views concluding that Johnson is not up to the current challenges. Her lack of speed due to prior injuries is sometimes cited as a supporting detail; but for the most part, the conclusion (her lack of performance/ability/readiness) seems not to be supported by ANY details.

As a Johnson supporter, I'd really like to hear some more specifics from you folks on her shortcomings......based on what you have SEEN in game performances. I have NO interest in what you are just parroting from the company line about her. I do have a.very sincere interest in your own direct observations.

I continue to think this kid is rather productive in her very limited minutes, both on the boards and with regard to one of the most basic aims of the game: putting the ball in the opponents basket. And I'm curious about what you are seeing that I'm not seeing.....and curious about what I'm seeing (boards per minute, points per minute, getting up and down the floor at least as rapidly as Dolson, stationing herself down low the majority of the time rather than away from the bucket most of the time, nice footwork) that you are not seeing.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
What I saw from Vicki Baugh today made me reflect on Michala. no, not the same type of player but both terribly hobbled by injury and now Vicki is recovered and plays like the star of the team. It could happen here as well.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
What I've seen is that she is too small at this stage to body up on posts or seal off driving lanes. She would need to bulk up to play the four effectively or speed up to play the three. She has skills, but she's a bit of a tweener, and until she's 100%, I don't know if she'll be able to compensate for that.

The other thing no one knows is her fitness level because she doesn't play enough for that to be a factor. Bottom line, hope she continues to improve because you can't have too many good players.

Reaction Score
What I've seen is that she is too small at this stage to body up on posts or seal off driving lanes. She would need to bulk up to play the four effectively or speed up to play the three. She has skills, but she's a bit of a tweener, and until she's 100%, I don't know if she'll be able to compensate for that.

The other thing no one knows is her fitness level because she doesn't play enough for that to be a factor. Bottom line, hope she continues to improve because you can't have too many good players.
What I like is the specific response you gave to the answer!

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Her defense is an issue. She either gets caught too far under the basket or fronts too high and allows for lobs. Her lateral quickness in the post isn't there, either, she often gets beat by guards driving the lane. And this is usually in "garbage time" (not my term). So if that is happening against less-than-quality teams, it's logical to extrapolate that she can't hold her own against the top-tier players.

Offensively, yes, she has a quick first step and nice touch. But all the players on UConn can score lots of points, and probably did in high school. That's not enough to get quality minutes.

Reaction Score
ALL - very interesting and varied observations. Well done and appreciated here. Will try to make a point to watch for some of what you folks are seeing. .

Reaction Score
The first thing MJ needs to do is put on a few pounds. She is to thin and will get pushed around in the paint. Honestly since MJ hasn't played alot of minutes I could not say if she has enough talent to play meaningful minutes for UCONN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom