Johnny Mcentee is not the problem!!!! | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Johnny Mcentee is not the problem!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The guy is about 12-15 passes which could and should have been intercepted thus far this year, from being a major stiff. He may have shown improvement but other defenses NOT making plays is the only reason he's still playing. Sorry if he's the answer UConn football is in huge trouble. He would be fighting for a spot on UMass at best.
Also had more than 15 passes not caught that should have been.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
And what offense does McEntee play in that has receivers open all game, because I have yet to see it.

If you've watched any games in person you would see the open guys.

Reaction Score
To some extent, I'm not sure that people understand what they are seeing.

The box is being loaded up, which is resulting in McEntee getting more pressure than he is capable of handling. There are 2 main reasons that teams feel comfortable loading the box - one, they know McEntee can't beat them deep, and two, they know that even if McCombs breaks one, they can catch him from behind. If we don't fix one of those problems, we need to get a QB who can handle the pressure better.

Reaction Score
I agree that we're getting more open receivers on the field than in prior years, it's not magic, we're sending out more route runners, and have what appears to be a much bigger set of route trees worked into the playbook than what we ran as a passing offense before.. so we're simply sending out more people to more spaces on the field on any given play.

What I'd be really curious to know is what the audible system is, or how those play calls are coming in from the sidelines and out of the QB's mouth in the huddle, because it seems to me that the one thing that's really lacking so far in the offense (aside - you know, from actual TD's)...is on a passing down, the ability for the QB and route runners to line up and check into a pass play at scrimmage that can take advantage of whatever the defense is presenting.

In a new system, on a pass play, I suppose you need to know where to line up first, and what the original play call is supposed to be before you can get to that.

AGainst defenses that are going to crowd the line of scrimmage to stop the run, there are going to be open receivers on the field.

On a pass play - the questions are simple. Can you get everybody blocked long enough for the QB to find the open guy?, and then - can the QB get the ball there? - and the receiver catch it?

It's really not a complicated game. BLocking and tackling. There are just hundreds and hundreds of details to take care of, and nearly two dozen players at a time on the field doing it all.

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
When it comes to "should have been intercepted" throws, I'm not sure that Mac has passed what Frazer was able to accomplish so prodigiously in prior years. Pretty much every game that he played in there would be at least one or two throws that went off the wide open defender's hands and the announcer would say "that's why he plays linebacker" or something like that. Am I the only one who remembers this? The only thing he had going for him was that he would throw the ball so overly hard that defenders had difficulty making the catch.

IMO, Johnny Mac continues to show improvement from game to game and at this point, if he has appropriate protection, is a serviceable QB. In all honesty, I'm more worried about playcalling, our OL and running game right now from the offense than I am about QB.

Reaction Score
Frazer had a better O-line, a better running game (and the threat of one), a better fullback, a better blocking running back, a scheme he'd run before, and experience playing football in the college game before.

Johnny Mac has receivers who drop the ball slightly less and get open slightly more.

I think the jury's still out, and anybody who thinks either of these guys is obviously better is a lot smarter than I am.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom