OT: - Johnasia Cash (Swin's cousin) refuses to sign SMU's COVID liability waiver | The Boneyard

OT: Johnasia Cash (Swin's cousin) refuses to sign SMU's COVID liability waiver

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Putting this on the general board because it raises compelling questions about COVID-19 liability across the board in college athletics.

Cash believes SMU is not providing a safe environment for student-athletes, not doing enough testing, and has been disingenuous about the ramifications of the liability waiver.​
“Like we’re putting our lives on the line to come work out to prepare for a season,” Cash said. “This is our life. We’re what? 18-to-22 years old? These are our lives that we’re putting on the line.​

Reaction Score
If you refuse to sign the waiver, does that mean you sit the season or forfeit your scholarship or a year of eligibility?

Plebe

Reaction Score
If you refuse to sign the waiver, does that mean you sit the season or forfeit your scholarship or a year of eligibility?
Per the article: "Student-athletes that do not sign the waiver will not lose eligibility or their scholarship."

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Gee, what a surprise, abusive coach Travis May in the center of not providing a safe environment. And he is a pro in not taking any responsibility with medical issues. From his playbook

How does anyone go there?? Especially someone related to Swin who should have a good view of the College Basketball scene???

Plebe

Reaction Score
Gee, what a surprise, abusive coach Travis May in the center of not providing a safe environment. And he is a pro in not taking any responsibility with medical issues. From his playbook

How does anyone go there?? Especially someone related to Swin who should have a good view of the College Basketball scene???
To be fair, the use of COVID waivers is not unique to coach Mays (the athletic department is requiring them of all student-athletes for summer workouts) or to SMU (most schools across the country are reportedly using similar waivers).

From this interesting article in the Sharon (PA) Herald:

"Colleges around the country still have had athletes sign pledge waivers before returning to workouts, which have come under scrutiny as to whether they are binding legal documents."​

Reaction Score
Unable to open the top article. Just as well, I probably don't want to read it and have to think about it. If you need to have student athletes sign hold harmless agreements, then you probably need to shut down

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Unable to open the top article. Just as well, I probably don't want to read it and have to think about it. If you need to have student athletes sign hold harmless agreements, then you probably need to shut down
Same here regarding the article. I read elsewhere a hold harmless agreement promulgated by a school board for students participating in secondary school sports this year, holding the school harmless if the student dies as a result of Covid19, even if directly the result of the participation. The article suggested this sort of thing will be common. So I agree with the rest of your sentiment as well.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

...how is he still coaching?

Reaction Score
Why is this even news?

If you don't sign, you don't lose a year of eligibility or scholarship. The same results if the school decided not to play at all.

There is no one pointing a gun at these athletes' head and saying "play or else".

Reaction Score
Why is this even news?

If you don't sign, you don't lose a year of eligibility or scholarship. The same results if the school decided not to play at all.

There is no one pointing a gun at these athletes' head and saying "play or else".

No gun but pressure nonetheless. For a rising senior who aspires to a pro career this year may be their best shot at impressing anyone. If they wait and sit they will have to compete against 2 years worth of draft candidates. To me a year's wait is nothing but to a 21 year old it may be too long.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
"These are our lives that we’re putting on the line." A little overly dramatic? Covid 19 deaths among that age group is miniscule. Doctors, nurses, EMTs are all putting their lives on the line. Cash is presumptuous putting herself in that category.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
"These are our lives that we’re putting on the line." A little overly dramatic? Covid 19 deaths among that age group is miniscule. Doctors, nurses, EMTs are all putting their lives on the line. Cash is presumptuous putting herself in that category.

I wouldn't say it's overdramatic at all considering we know nothing about long term effects and the virus has killed over 130,000 Americans in the last 4 months. SMU is also in one of the biggest hotspots for covid right now. We also have no idea if she has any medical conditions that make her higher risk.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
When I see institutions lead with the legal eagles to protect themselves above all, I sometimes think Dick the Butcher had it right all those years ago. ;)

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
I wouldn't say it's overdramatic at all considering we know nothing about long term effects and the virus has killed over 130,000 Americans in the last 4 months. SMU is also in one of the biggest hotspots for covid right now. We also have no idea if she has any medical conditions that make her higher risk.
Did you miss the part of "deaths by age"??? Of those 130,000 deaths 157 were in her age group.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Did you miss the part of "deaths by age"??? Of those 130,000 deaths 157 were in her age group.
More people in the age group died by the flu than COVID-19 last flu season according to the CDC.

Reaction Score
You're really sticking to your guns and calling a college aged girl dramatic for prioritizing her health? Again, we know nothing about long term effects of this. Not. One. Thing.

We also don't know the long term effects of our kids being locked up with no social interactions. Physical effects are more easily treatable than mental ones.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
We also don't know the long term effects of our kids being locked up with no social interactions. Physical effects are more easily treatable than mental ones.

She is not opting to be locked up with no social interaction--she's making a personal choice to not move to Dallas and participate in offseason workouts.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
OF all the arguments in this thread, this I do agree with, it sounds over-the-top. OTH, had she said "I'm risking my health", that would be true, since, inherently, the point of all these waivers is an admission that suggested measures such as social distancing, hand washing and masks are not going to be happening - and she has no control over where the other folks she is interacting with have been.

She may have been influenced by the 20 year old San Antonio resident that my family in that area told me about - he went to a "Covid" party hosted by someone that was ill and he became infected and died.

Reaction Score
Now there’s 157 and there is some question of permanent lung damage among survivors of any age, not something an athlete especially wants.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

Ok I'm going to say what I and maybe some others are thinking. Johnasia Cash would make a great addition to UCONN's roster for 20-21 season. COVID-19 would be an excellent justification for immediate eligibility. If there is not going to be a season or the waiver is denied she can still be a contributor in 21-22 season.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom