John Silver's write-up | The Boneyard

John Silver's write-up

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
http://snyuconn.com/uconn/football/late-night-wrap-huskies-fall-to-0-2/

I'd like to apologize for making an incorrect assumption in the game thread. I said there was no way Mack was coached to run that ball out of the end zone if the coverage was going to be that good (i.e. if Maryland actually paid attention). Turns out it was a play that was practiced but obviously nobody bothered to tell Mack that you don't run if the kicking team is actually paying attention.

"The Taylor Mack play is something they practiced. Mack said he was trying to make a play when he took a short field goal out of the end zone. Those kinds of plays have come back to haunt Pasqualoni in his two plus years at UConn."

Does anyone know what happens if the ball ends up not making it out of the end zone and gets downed by a Maryland player. Is it a touchback or do we get the ball on the 40? I know on a blocked FG attempt, if the ball gets downed on the field of play, the defending team gets possession at that spot but don't know what happens if the ball is in the end zone.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
They'd have gotten it at the 40 if Maryland touched it.

Reaction Score
Hey, I find that less offensive than guys coming off the corner unblocked play after play and blowing up the offense because they refused to make any adjustments, or that they continued to run to short outs instead of slants or tight ends into the middle which require less time and exploit edge blitzing.

And, less offensive than totally blown coverages, missed contain assignments, and poor tackling;

And, literal cases where o- linemen never even make contact with defensive players and jogged to zone spots with nothing to do.

I really can't take it. What has P been teaching these kids. 2 weeks of preparing doing what?

Etc., etc,etc..

Reaction Score
Hey, I find that less offensive than guys coming off the corner unblocked play after play and blowing up the offense because they refused to make any adjustments, or that they continued to run to short outs instead of slants or tight ends into the middle which require less time and exploit edge blitzing.

And, less offensive than totally blown coverages, missed contain assignments, and poor tackling;

And, literal cases where o- linemen never even make contact with defensive players and jogged to zone spots with nothing to do.

I really can't take it. What has P been teaching these kids. 2 weeks of preparing doing what?

Etc., etc,etc..
I find it a crock when Silver says it was open season on Friend's replacement when Friend almost allowed The Maryland DE to rip Whitmer's head off on one play. Hemingway did a better job than that after he got in. Jimmy Bennett is a big statue out there. His Bad knees are going to get someone in the backfield killed next week. It appears that the knees won't even allow a good effort. GDL WTF did you do to this once proud tradition on the team. Too many times blockers are still standing spun around and looking back at the backfield. I said last year that Friend was the master of the lookout block, nothing has changed.

Reaction Score
Silver is actully the first of "The PP Homer Horde Group" as I call them to actually take some sort of a shot at the staff's coaching effort when he talked about lack of developement in the OL.

Reaction Score
I find it a crock when Silver says it was open season on Friend's replacement when Friend almost allowed The Maryland DE to rip Whitmer's head off on one play. Hemingway did a better job than that after he got in. Jimmy Bennett is a big statue out there. His Bad knees are going to get someone in the backfield killed next week. It appears that the knees won't even allow a good effort. GDL WTF did you do to this once proud tradition on the team. Too many times blockers are still standing spun around and looking back at the backfield. I said last year that Friend was the master of the lookout block, nothing has changed.

I entirely disagree with that. To my eye, Hemingway is nowhere ner ready to be on the field

Reaction Score
No one on the OL is. So poorly coached. Every position has been beaten multiple times

Reaction Score
On some plays hemingway shows good feet and athleticism, on others he looks like doesn't like contact. Problem not one single other player on the oline looks much better. I've always been high on Jimmy Bennett, but the last play where Whitmer got sacked on fourthdown looked really bad on him.

Reaction Score
Friend wasn't moving well after he was injured and then put back into the game. Agreed he is not Dan Hicks. The thing that stunned me was how long it took the coaches to get Friend off the field once he was injured.

Reaction Score
Why would you even practice that play? Is mack Ed Reed back there? If he is why isn't he the punt returner then??? completely baffling to me.

Reaction Score
Looking back at bizarre play on missed field goal

http://runwayramblings.blogspot.com/2013/09/looking-back-at-bizarre-play-on-missed.html

"Just for clarification, I called a supervisor of officials who works at local high school and college games to make sure I understood the rule properly and he informed me that if the field goal was missed and not caught in the end zone then UConn would have gotten the ball at the 33. If Mack had taken a knee, the ball would have been placed at the 20 but instead the drive began at the 10."

Reaction Score
Anyone else want to weigh in on how coaching isn't destroying this program?

Reaction Score
Looking back at bizarre play on missed field goal

http://runwayramblings.blogspot.com/2013/09/looking-back-at-bizarre-play-on-missed.html

"Just for clarification, I called a supervisor of officials who works at local high school and college games to make sure I understood the rule properly and he informed me that if the field goal was missed and not caught in the end zone then UConn would have gotten the ball at the 33. If Mack had taken a knee, the ball would have been placed at the 20 but instead the drive began at the 10."

Simply mind-boggling! Another case of not putting the players in a position to win. What is the % of mack returning the ball to the 33 yard line? 5%? How about field position for the offense or hey how about momentum swing with the missed field goal. Who is he trying to fool?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom