John Fanta | The Boneyard

John Fanta

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Protect this man at all costs.

He's a great ambassador for Fox Sports, The Big East, and college basketball in general. He's extremely knowledgeable about the sport, personable, and great to listen to on Spaces.
He's the best in the business and it's not even close.

Reaction Score

He's a great ambassador for Fox Sports, The Big East, and college basketball in general. He's extremely knowledgeable about the sport, personable, and great to listen to on Spaces.

Find something you’re as passionate about as Fanta is college basketball and the Big East.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score

He's great. He is professional and a class act, but at the same time if he sees that something is wrong he doesn't hold his tongue.

Reaction Score
Is a middle ground acceptable any more on social media? He gets an A for his knowledge of the Big East and his preparation to bring his knowledge to the viewers. Are his skills as an announcer — describing the play by play appropriately or being able to supply game related commentary — particularly strong? No, for a guy calling games of the importance he does, they’re average at best.

Reaction Score
Is a middle ground acceptable any more on social media? He gets an A for his knowledge of the Big East and his preparation to bring his knowledge to the viewers. Are his skills as an announcer — describing the play by play appropriately or being able to supply game related commentary — particularly strong? No, for a guy calling games of the importance he does, they’re average at best.
Fanta is a very good play-by-play guy

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Fanta is a very good play-by-play guy

Right? He's prepared, well spoken, has a good sense of self deprecating humor (ala Raf) and defers to his color analyst for insight.

The fact that he actually gives a S comes through on the tv as opposed to guys just cashing checks who just yell things loudly to overcompensate (cough gus Johnson).

Reaction Score
Right? He's prepared, well spoken, has a good sense of self deprecating humor (ala Raf) and defers to his color analyst for insight.

The fact that he actually gives a S comes through on the tv as opposed to guys just cashing checks who just yell things loudly to overcompensate (cough gus Johnson).
I see him as being a lifer who in time will get the biggest college basketball gigs and branch out to get the other big gigs in sports if he goes after it. Think Verne Lundquist.

He doesn't have the voice Verne has but nobody does.

Reaction Score
Okay, one question, name the tough question, big insight, or famous call, that Fanta gave us that no one else did.

He's not Raf. Raf will talk about stuff that happens on the court that others don't notice. Raf is sometimes ahead of the game pointing out things that will happen. Fanta is not in that league.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Okay, one question, name the tough question, big insight, or famous call, that Fanta gave us that no one else did.

He's not Raf. Raf will talk about stuff that happens on the court that others don't notice. Raf is sometimes ahead of the game pointing out things that will happen. Fanta is not in that league.

Yes, compare him to a legend who’s been doing this for 40 years. His time will come. He’s getting there.

Reaction Score
I see him as being a lifer who in time will get the biggest college basketball gigs and branch out to get the other big gigs in sports if he goes after it. Think Verne Lundquist.

Did you think Verne because he is also short and fat?

Reaction Score

I think that’s the only thing holding him
back. His voice in uncharacteristically high for a normal play by play guy.

Reaction Score
Wow, I am stunned to learn that Fanta is only 28 years old. I assumed he was just baby-faced and was well into his 30s. He could really make a name for himself and stick around in this industry for a long, long time.

Reaction Score
Did you think Verne because he is also short and fat?
Yes and their enthusiasm/likability, it was a compliment to how good I think Fanta is at such a young age. Verne is my favorite all around play by play guy ever. For strictly basketball my all-time guys are the color guys, Raftery and Hubie Brown.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Generally like Fanta but he had a take that he likes UConn's potential matchups in the east.

Anyonee can see that our potential matchups vs Auburn/Illinois/Iowa St are NOT good for a 1 seed (top 10 KenPom and conference tournament champs).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom