OT: - John Calipari to return as Kentucky men's basketball coach | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: John Calipari to return as Kentucky men's basketball coach

Reaction Score
Yep, he was definitely really good 30 years ago and even 10 years ago. His built in advantages are gone which is making it really hard for him to win at the best job in college basketball.

Having a relevant coaching styl and philosophy is a fickle thing. The best stay flexible with the times. That's why Calhoun is a legendary coach and Cal will never be better than "very good."

pj

Reaction Score
Benedict's the last person to ask. UConn tried to get out of paying Ollie $10 million and ended up paying him almost $14 million.

Yep, that's why I want Kentucky to ask AD Dave how to do it. If he can increase the payout from $33 million to $40 million, Kentucky may be broke for a generation.

Reaction Score
We’ll see. UK will probably start throwing insane money at big transfers.
1711573569440.gif

Reaction Score
They are stuck with him it's so hilarious. It's like he has that entire program hostage.
As we use to say about an incompetent manager who not only survived multiple purges but somehow even got promoted
“?He must have pictures “

Reaction Score
In this tournament, how many winning team player post game comments have sited the contribution of the team as a whole being the reason they advanced? Filling a team with a bunch of elite talent who don’t play together as a unit is not a recipe for success in today’s college game.
Duke’s post season performance has significantly dropped off since they’ve gone the one and done route.
Castle is arguably the 4th best contributor on our team (Castle vs Karaban) yet he is expected to be one of the top 5-7 players taken in the draft.
That’s the humble talent you want to recruit and, fortunately for us, that’s what Hurley and Company do.

Reaction Score
Cal can coach. Thats not the problem. He just doesn’t know how to build a team for this era. If he’s smart he may bring in a new assistant to help with that. The portal has made it nearly impossible to win playing a very young team.
“Cal can coach”

The guy who didn’t foul at the end of a National championship game with the reasoning of “they’re good at free throws” is not a good coach. He’s a personality manager. A glorified AAU coach

Reaction Score
It would have been hard to replace Calipari this year. Now, the AD can do a bunch of research to figure out who should replace him next year.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
“Cal can coach”

The guy who didn’t foul at the end of a National championship game with the reasoning of “they’re good at free throws” is not a good coach. He’s a personality manager. A glorified AAU coach
You can believe what you want, but a prep school coach friend of mine goes to these guys camps, meets most of them etc. He thinks Cal is a good coach and fun and interesting guy. It shouldn’t be hard to imagine that he’s subject to the whims of Kentucky. Like Brian Cashman is probably very smart but has to spend stupidly on players because that’s the direction he’s given.

The Kentucky job is a curse unless the guy taking it can convince the boosters they are idiots (they are).

Reaction Score
You can believe what you want, but a prep school coach friend of mine goes to these guys camps, meets most of them etc. He thinks Cal is a good coach and fun and interesting guy. It shouldn’t be hard to imagine that he’s subject to the whims of Kentucky. Like Brian Cashman is probably very smart but has to spend stupidly on players because that’s the direction he’s given.

The Kentucky job is a curse unless the guy taking it can convince the boosters they are idiots (they are).
Having 1 championship with the talent he’s had and the amount of time he’s coached is less than impressive

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Squid needs to be the big fish in a little pond. He needs a talent disparity to succeed

He's not outcoaching anyone. He doesn't develop a single player. He's a salesman, nothing more. No disrespect to salesman intended. Maybe I should call him a dishonest and egotistical salesman

Reaction Score
He's likely lost it, but the idea he could never coach is a huge overreaction. Those UMass teams were legit, much as I hated them

Was going to post the same... His UMass teams, even pre-Camby, were great to watch and were not crazy talented on paper. He coached them up big-time. I don't think he's coached much since his early days at Kentucky and has since taken on the philosophy of just out-talenting with sheer depth.

Reaction Score

Cal is actually a great dude to shoot the stuff with. Incredibly friendly off the court with a big personality. If he has any interest in it I'd imagine he'd be a great TV guy.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom