John Bagley says Boatright has what it takes to play in the NBA | The Boneyard

John Bagley says Boatright has what it takes to play in the NBA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
"There's no other silver bullet in this matter," Bagley said. "He has all the tools. Just sharpen them. He's got to keep sharpening and spending his time wisely this summer playing against some higher caliber players so he can get a real sense of what he's going to feel and what it's going to be like.

"One of the big things for Boatright will be getting lucky enough to get a coach who isn't fixated on this box," said Bagley, holding his hands about six inches apart.

"You need to find a coach who is willing to give you a chance. You need to find a coach who is working with a box like this," Bagley said, suddenly holding out his arms like he was going to run onto the court and pretend he was an airplane.

"With a guy like that, with a team like that, Boatright could explode in a situation like that. He's talented enough that he could do very well there. When you start looking at it -- when you see what a real point guard can do for a team -- he'll be able to help somebody."

Bagley knows what it takes to play in NBA -- and says Boatright has it

Bagley is 55? Damn, now I feel really old!

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
If mack, thomas, and other small guards can make it he can. Just don't go to the thunder or the heat

Reaction Score
The kid can fly, someone has to see that!! Let's call him "Underdog"! (he was a Husky) hopefully I am not to old that most of you know who Underdog was.

Reaction Score
I love Boat but he's too small in size . Height,weight,reach. If AJ Price has a hard time making NBA teams imagine him. Just being non biased .

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
shelvin mack. the guy who is 6'2 with a 6'7 wingspan.
Lol to me he does not seem that. I always think he's shorter. I think boat is much more athletic and talented

Silk31

Foot Stays on Gas
Reaction Score
Boat can certainly be the spark plug off the bench but I agree with Bagley that it will all depend on what team he lands on and their style of play. Another thing that Boat has going for him is that he is not a one dimensional diminutive scoring PG - he can and will be a pitbull defender on the defensive end. Most other small PGs are sieves on D, that won't be the case for Boat

If guys like IT2, Aaron Brooks, DJ Augustin can make a living as backup PGs then I don't see a reason why Boat can't carve a similar type of role

Reaction Score
If JJ Barea can make it in this league, Boatright certainly can too.

Reaction Score
If JJ Barea can make it in this league, Boatright certainly can too.
Barea is a pass first pure PG. Similar in size but that's basically where the comparison should end. Boat has a Jason Terry type game but Terry has 3 inches on him. He could find a role but it will be really tough.

Reaction Score
I love Boat but he's too small in size . Height,weight,reach. If AJ Price has a hard time making NBA teams imagine him. Just being non biased .
Boat right is tiny by NBA standards, but he is far, far more athletic than AJ Price. I think Boat will have a nice career overseas, but I will be very happy to see him prove me wrong and make the NBA.

Reaction Score
Not all 5'10" guys play the same style bball. Mentioning Barea who can put the ball in the bucket and Isaiah Thomas who is one of the best shooters, especially in the 4th qtr is crazy comparison.

Reaction Score
Boat right is tiny by NBA standards, but he is far, far more athletic than AJ Price. I think Boat will have a nice career overseas, but I will be very happy to see him prove me wrong and make the NBA.
Agree w everything you said but I find it hard to believe AJ has tough time sticking around in the league. Just imagine BoAt. NBA is about exploiting mismatches and every team will post him up.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I don't see him making an NBA roster. He can have a much more lucrative career overseas.

Reaction Score
Agree w everything you said but I find it hard to believe AJ has tough time sticking around in the league. Just imagine BoAt. NBA is about exploiting mismatches and every team will post him up.

There are shorter players than Price who are regular rotation guys in the NBA right now. Price has nothing to do with Boatright.

Reaction Score
There are shorter players than Price who are regular rotation guys in the NBA right now. Price has nothing to do with Boatright.
Price is solid player role player having a tough time finding an NBA team. Only thing that is in comparison between the two is finding work. I'm not drinking the Boatright kool-aid like some here. Most here have to look at him objectively and see that guys like him w no special skill set don't make it. NBA is different level.

Reaction Score
Price is solid player role player having a tough time finding an NBA team. Only thing that is in comparison between the two is finding work. I'm not drinking the Boatright kool-aid like some here. Most here have to look at him objectively and see that guys like him w no special skill set don't make it. NBA is different level.

This isn't about being objective. This is about Price not being comparable to Boatright. I agree that Boatright will struggle to stick in the NBA, but he and Price are completely different players. That's a ridiculous comparison.

Reaction Score
Boat can certainly be the spark plug off the bench but I agree with Bagley that it will all depend on what team he lands on and their style of play. Another thing that Boat has going for him is that he is not a one dimensional diminutive scoring PG - he can and will be a pitbull defender on the defensive end. Most other small PGs are sieves on D, that won't be the case for Boat

If guys like IT2, Aaron Brooks, DJ Augustin can make a living as backup PGs then I don't see a reason why Boat can't carve a similar type of role
Add Phil Pressey to that list. Boat is infinitely better than he is.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Add Phil Pressey to that list. Boat is infinitely better than he is.

Pressey doesn't belong with those guys -- he's a third string, 14th/15th guy on the roster. I do agree that Boat's ceiling is above that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom