John A. with some other 2016 names | The Boneyard

John A. with some other 2016 names

Status
Not open for further replies.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
John Altavilla @jaltavilla · 1h 1 hour ago
Along with Kyla Irwin, here are some other hot prospects for #UConnwomen Class of 2016 - highlighted by 6-9 C Nancy Mulkey of Texas.....

John Altavilla @jaltavilla · 1h 1 hour ago
Huskies really love 6-0 F Jocelyn Willoughby of East Orange, N.J., 6-3 Tori McCoy of Illinois; 6-3 Joyner Holmes of Texas #Uconnwomen

John Altavilla @jaltavilla · 58m 58 minutes ago
Of course, 6-4 C Lauren Cox of Texas is a given. And there is 6-2 Natalie Chou, also of Texas. Four Texas players seven names #UConnwomen

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Thanks. We already had heard all those names to one extent or another but I am surprised Mulkey's name comes up again. UConn seems to be looking at a dozen or more names for what is likely just two spots.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Thanks. We already had heard all those names to one extent or another but I am surprised Mulkey's name comes up again. UConn seems to be looking at a dozen or more names for what is likely just two spots.
I think they'd take 3 if they could get the right 3. They'll have plenty of scholarships.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I think they'd take 3 if they could get the right 3. They'll have plenty of scholarships.

Plenty of scholarships, yes. Playing time, on the other hand.....

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Plenty of scholarships, yes. Playing time, on the other hand.....
The best will get playing time. That won't limit Geno trying to get players. Might prevent some players from committing.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Might prevent some players from committing.

That's what I mean. The cupboard is already so stocked that I just can't see UConn getting more than two for '16. It's not that there won't be ANY minutes, but how many HSAA's want 10 a game?

Reaction Score
That's what I mean. The cupboard is already so stocked that I just can't see UConn getting more than two for '16. It's not that there won't be ANY minutes, but how many HSAA's want 10 a game?

Well I like to think it's stocked, but ....
I only feel confident about 2 of them -- Stewart and MoJeff
- Tuck has had injuries
- 5 of them have yet to play at UConn so it's unclear if all of them are up to it
- Chong's future seems uncertain. She might turn a corner this year; or she might get passed by the frosh

Which is not to say I'm worried. But I'm also not so overconfident to believe that UConn couldn't use more players.

Reaction Score
Thanks. We already had heard all those names to one extent or another but I am surprised Mulkey's name comes up again.

I don't see his you can not be interested in a 6'9 player. She's only played 2 yrs of HS -- I'd definitely want to see how she progresses as her body matures.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I don't see his you can not be interested in a 6'9 player. She's only played 2 yrs of HS -- I'd definitely want to see how she progresses as her body matures.

I think she has a chance to be a nice player but I'm not convinced she's a UConn type. She's certainly not in the Dolson mode. Or Lauren Cox mode for that matter. With the players UConn will have I think mobile, versatile "bigs" are a better fit.

U

UCONNfan1

Well I like to think it's stocked, but ....
I only feel confident about 2 of them -- Stewart and MoJeff
- Tuck has had injuries
- 5 of them have yet to play at UConn so it's unclear if all of them are up to it
- Chong's future seems uncertain. She might turn a corner this year; or she might get passed by the frosh

Which is not to say I'm worried. But I'm also not so overconfident to believe that UConn couldn't use more players.
Sort of agree - but I think you would have to add Samuelson as a sure thing as well as Collier. I think Boykin will be a glue player and I agree there are questions about the health of Tuck and Williams. I also think Nurse will be terrific and she's almost as sure a thing as Collier and KLS.

But I get your point - how much will Chong improve? Will Tuck and/or Williams ever be fully healthy? Just how good will Butler be? What's the ceiling for Edwards and Ekmark?

Having said that I'd love to see a class of Holmes, McCoy and Willoughby. Maybe even 1 more since they have the schollies available. I'm not worried about PT as other have said since the cream rises to the top and UCONN has never lost a player to transfer who was a starter.

I mean no disrespect to the departed players from the past, but aside from Walker, the others (Johnson, Engeln, Banks) possibly weren't going to get a ton of playing time, although Banks could have been a starter this year.

Other teams who recruit against UCONN have always used PT as an issue since UCONN usually has so many really good players. But UCONN does not recruit kids who require that they start from day 1, nor who say they want to be the star.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score

Logic dictates that you have to cast a wide net...should he put all his chips on the table for two, maybe three, or should he take a look now at a dozen and see how the year shakes out.

IMO, it is wiser the latter than the former.

Time will tell

Reaction Score
Sort of agree - but I think you would have to add Samuelson as a sure thing as well as Collier. I think Boykin will be a glue player and I agree there are questions about the health of Tuck and Williams. I also think Nurse will be terrific and she's almost as sure a thing as Collier and KLS.

But I get your point - how much will Chong improve? Will Tuck and/or Williams ever be fully healthy? Just how good will Butler be? What's the ceiling for Edwards and Ekmark?

Having said that I'd love to see a class of Holmes, McCoy and Willoughby. Maybe even 1 more since they have the schollies available. I'm not worried about PT as other have said since the cream rises to the top and UCONN has never lost a player to transfer who was a starter.

I mean no disrespect to the departed players from the past, but aside from Walker, the others (Johnson, Engeln, Banks) possibly weren't going to get a ton of playing time, although Banks could have been a starter this year.

Other teams who recruit against UCONN have always used PT as an issue since UCONN usually has so many really good players. But UCONN does not recruit kids who require that they start from day 1, nor who say they want to be the star.

I don't see McCoy and Holmes going to the same school, though it would be great for UConn if they both did choose to come to Storrs. Realistically, I see McCoy, Dangerfield and perhaps Willoughby as the best they could possibly do. And that's not bad at all. McCoy and either of the other 2 would be great.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
It seems the staff is very high on Willoughby. At 6', hopefully she's a wing with some guard skills, like KML, and not a post player.

I don't disagree that McCoy and Holmles may not go to the same school, but if one plays the 5 and one plays the 4, no reason they couldn't coexist. Just like when we landed Jones, Cash and Williams - all in the same class. When we started Bird and Taurasi, those other 3 played the 3,4, and 5 effectively. And given that UCONN definitely needs some beef in the post, taking 2 of them would not be a problem for PT for either of them.

I'd love to see a class of 4. Dangerfield, Willoughby, Holmes and McCoy.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
It seems the staff is very high on Willoughby. At 6', hopefully she's a wing with some guard skills, like KML, and not a post player.

I'd love to see a class of 4. Dangerfield, Willoughby, Holmes and McCoy.

Willoughby's scouting reports make her sound like she's in the mold of Arike Ogunbowale. Also, I think 4 is way too many for '16. There's already going to be a major PT issue in '15.

Jocelyn Willoughby (East Orange, NJ.) NYC IExcel 17U: Willoughby a 6-0 forward played extremely well showing that she has an all-round game she can attack from the wing or be a low post presence at both ends of the floor. Willoughby has a really strong interior game which is a nice blend of athleticism and power. She also showed that she has a nice face up attack with an effective midrange jumper that extends out to the 3pt line. The rebounding is there and with the ability to put the ball on the floor she does a great job initiating the fast break. Willoughby has a WNBA body with major DI talent and will be a force to be reckoned with in the Class of 2016.

http://www.bluestarmedia.org/index..../787-deep-south-classic-beverlys-bakers-dozen

Jocelyn Willoughby – 2016 – 5-11 – Guard – iExcel – East Orange, N.J. – Continues to play with more and more confidence as the summer goes on. She’s using her size and physical strength to challenge opponents on the catch with her constant attack. The first step comes with not only quickness but power as well leaving Willoughby with a clear lane deep in the paint again and again. She mixes up changes in both speed and direction and reads the opposition as she penetrates. There is little doubt she can play at any level if she continues on the path she’s on now…and the big dogs are courtside to prove it.

http://www.bluestarmedia.org/index.php/blogmain/marksblog/item/927-usjn-washington-dc

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Willoughby's scouting reports make her sound like she's in the mold of Arike Ogunbowale. Also, I think 4 is way too many for '16. There's already going to be a major PT issue in '15.
Good info on Willoughby. Thanks. I don't disagree that having 14 players on the roster might be a tad too many but at UCONN, unless there is a need, freshmen generally don't get a ton of PT anyway.

Sr: Chong, Tuck
Jr: Butler, Nurse, Ekmark, Edwards, Williams
So: KLS, Collier, Boykin

But you never know about injuries nor transfers. I am of the opinion that UCONN needs to recruit the best players who buy into the team concept that they can. Those who rise to the top will get more PT (Faris for example). Those who struggle, either with injuries or confidence or simply don't develop enough (Banks, Johnson) won't earn the PT and may choose to transfer. Others like Gardler may choose to stick it out and have a great 4 year career with lots of great experiences.

Now clearly the 4 I mentioned are much higher rated than Johnson or Gardler, but I think the 2014 class is a rather huge mystery as far as talent, potential, and injuries go, so it will be interesting to see how it all pans out. But you may be right - 4 may be too many. HOWEVER, if we do get those 4 and they outplay kids older than them, I have no issue with that.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
I had posted a thread about Joyner Holmes. She herself stated that she wanted to stay close to home. We all know recruiting a teenage girl can change but those were her words.

McCoy's recruitment is quite. I will try and see if her high school is traveling to Chicago for any games. She is in St Thomas More in Champaign.

Would love to steal Dangerfield out of Tennessee.

Mulkey could be a player GA and CD see a huge upside into. If that's the case, I am on board. GA always says you cant teach size and 6'9 is up there.

Reaction Score
A totally unfair question. How does the 2016 class compare to the 2017 class? From both a talent and a numbers standpoint, would it make more sense to take a class of two (Dangerfield & McCoy?) in 2016 and have the flexibility to take three or perhaps even four in 2017? Obviously, Megan Walker is THE catch for 2017. Is Holmes and/or Willoughby in '16 more attractive than say Andra Espinoza-Hunter, Danielle Patterson and some of the other '17's mentioned as potential targets.

Clearly, Coach Auriemma will have the final say. What does the BY think?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
A totally unfair question. How does the 2016 class compare to the 2017 class? From both a talent and a numbers standpoint, would it make more sense to take a class of two (Dangerfield & McCoy?) in 2016 and have the flexibility to take three or perhaps even four in 2017? Obviously, Megan Walker is THE catch for 2017. Is Holmes and/or Willoughby in '16 more attractive than say Andra Espinoza-Hunter, Danielle Patterson and some of the other '17's mentioned as potential targets.

I'd be extremely happy with Dangerfield and McCoy. But I'd like to add in Ionescu.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score

The 2017 class is considered to be incredibly strong and deep, one of the better classes in recent years. Perception could change over the next few years but right now it's seen as loaded.

Personally, I'm of the notion of getting two '16ers, and I feel like I'm the only one who hasn't given up on Lauren Cox.

Reaction Score
The 2017 class is considered to be incredibly strong and deep, one of the better classes in recent years. Perception could change over the next few years but right now it's seen as loaded.

Personally, I'm of the notion of getting two '16ers, and I feel like I'm the only one who hasn't given up on Lauren Cox.

Cox would be a GREAT catch but from what I have read (though certainly not definitive) she has a preference to stay in Texas. I intend to take in a couple of Willoughby's games this year and will dutifully report what I see. But if UConn is high on her, there's a really really good chance I will like what I see.

Reaction Score
What about the Italian girl?
I liked the video someone on the BY had of her. Her jump shot reminded me of Maya Moore. I hope Geno dabbed on some olive oil and uses his Italian charm to get her into a Husky uniform. Although, I think I read somewhere that she was going to sign a pro contract to play in Italy. Any one else hear anything?

Reaction Score
I'd be extremely happy with Dangerfield and McCoy. But I'd like to add in Ionescu.

Completely agree. With still two years of Butler and three of KLS, Collier and Boykin left, I think one of those forwards along with two guards (Dangerfield and Ionescu) would be great. But as mentioned earlier, the need/desire for both guards might depend on what the coaches like and feel good about getting in 2017 class.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom