John A. with some interesting scheduling news | Page 2 | The Boneyard

John A. with some interesting scheduling news

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Football is the dog that wags the tail in conference realignment. ND kept its football and its other programs lived off the Big East. Not to rehash the whole history of ND in the conference, but if their sometimes not great fb program was in, it's quite possible the history of conference change would be radically different if existent at all. It all began with the ACC raid on the BE. Like ND or not, who thinks BC, Miami, VTech, Cuse, WV or Pitt would leave a fb conference with ND in it? ND doesn't care, didn't care and will do whatever it wants which is their prerogative. Is a hoops game with their women attractive? Yes. Does it do more for them than us? Well, any top team without us on the schedule has doubts around just how good they are. We'll survive and women's hoops has problems if it can't overcome not having a game between us and the Fighting Selfish.

Jim Calhoun refused to schedule BC after they left the conference. It's worse for UConn now overall, never mind just women's hoops, being stuck in this unattractive AAC and I think ND is as responsible for the whole chain of events as anyone because they kept their fb just the way they wanted while the BE burned. Muffet seems like a nice person. Why don't we just send her a Seasons Greetings card and leave it at that.
I understand your point, but, as I've suggested, I think that your emphasis is on the wrong syl-la'-ble. I'm not interested in whether such a regular season matchup is better for ND or for us....only in what, in my opinion, is best for the game. When Pat S. refused to play us, the result was bad for the game. Our not having ND on the schedule this year, for whatever reason, is bad for the game. As ardent UConn fans, we should all be rooting for whatever contingencies result in a broader and more vibrant interest in WCBB.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I find it hard to blame Notre Dame or any big-time college sports program for making business arrangements that serve its own financial interests. That is how the world of Adam Smith works. UConn, if it had the same assets and the same choices, would surely do the same thing, with the same heedlessness of the consequences for third parties.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I understand your point, but, as I've suggested, I think that your emphasis is on the wrong syl-la'-ble. I'm not interested in whether such a regular season matchup is better for ND or for us....only in what, in my opinion, is best for the game. When Pat S. refused to play us, the result was bad for the game. Our not having ND on the schedule this year, for whatever reason, is bad for the game. As ardent UConn fans, we should all be rooting for whatever contingencies result in a broader and more vibrant interest in WCBB.

As a UConn grad, my interest is comprehensive. I have fb seasons tickets, share men's hoops seasons tickets and get to make some women's games. ND is a big part of why UConn is in the alignment predicament it's in. I certainly like the idea of UConn being supportive of women's hoops. but it wouldn't bother me if not having UConn on it's schedule caused ND to be a bit out of the limelight they covet. At the moment, UConn, not ND, is the team ESPN wants to show the most. I think that isn't about to change. Things are a little different from when LTech and Old Dominion were on top, and UConn + TV is a big reason why. Is it possible for the new league to drag UConn's product down? Anything is possible, but the BE was kind of lousy for many of UConn's dominant years. It just might be that some of the AAC schools will get some recruiting benefits out of being in UConn's league. It doesn't really matter to make a case against a series with ND, since it seems to be a done deal. It can be debated which of the two schools gets more benefit or if it is important to women's hoops, but ND does UConn no favors. They are takers, not givers.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I find it hard to blame Notre Dame or any big-time college sports program for making business arrangements that serve its own financial interests. That is how the world of Adam Smith works. UConn, if it had the same assets and the same choices, would surely do the same thing, with the same heedlessness of the consequences for third parties.

Yes, they have that right. I think it would not be a bad business decision for UConn to keep a prime competitor out of the limelight that a game against us provides them, especially if that competitor school (not just the women's hoops) had a decent idea what their moves ,or lack of them,might have on programs like ours . Unlike a certain Orange school, ND they had a league affiliation with. I suppose in making their agreement with the ACC, they were actively arguing for our inclusion in the league, but then again out fb program is unbeaten against theirs. I happen to think the value gained for women's hoops in general is smaller than what ND gains from playing UConn. But, game on, as they say.

Reaction Score
You can speak for some business interests but I find your assumption that all other administrators (including UConn) would do the same thing as erroneous. I think there are a lot of people with integrity who feel they can be successful without stepping on others and using them. You seem to want to paint the whole world in one color and I don't think that's accurate. Costco is a very very successful wholesale operation, maybe the most successful depending on who you talk to. Yet, they are a major step above in how much they pay their workers and the many benefits they offer. You don't always have to be cutthroat and ruthless in order to be successful. I think there's more than enough money in college athletics to support one another and to show loyalty to one another. I guess you don't!

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Every school - every darn one of them - makes choices that they perceive have some positive benefit for them. UConn would not be playing Notre Dame unless there is a perceived benefit, it is pointless to argue who benefits more.

ND football is, among other things, extremely arrogant, often only accepting deals that give all the advantages to ND - their recent deal to play BC at Fenway is a good example; they wanted RU to agree to play them, but none of the games would have been at RU, etc. But schools do sign those deals sometimes, presumably because they see some benefit.

Reaction Score
If Duke decides not to renew the series, do you think that Tennessee would replace them?

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
If Duke decides not to renew the series, do you think that Tennessee would replace them?
I don't think it is outside the realm of possibility.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
With all the damage that was done I don't ever see UConn and Tenn playing each other unless its in the NCAAAs. IMO it would take more then an apology from Tenn and those who were behind it for UConn to consider playing Tenn again. There was to much damage done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom