John A spends 25 minutes with Chris Dailey

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Good read.

Three takeaways:
  • KML is a more complete basketball player than people think she is; she can pass, handle the ball well and rebound. Her on ball defense is not there yet but she disrupts passing lanes.
  • Kiah Stokes, Michala and Heather are not yet where the staff want them to be. They'd like at least one to step up to play with Stef or give Stef a break but it's not happening on a consistent basis.
  • Caroline Doty has lost the ability to do certain things because of her surgeries, but she'll find a way to make plays because she's smart and she has a huge heart.
http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn...es-with-chris-dailey-20111024,0,2099219.story

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Great stuff from CD. Unvarnished, tell-it-like-it-is kind of info.

It will be interesting to see how the three bigs progress in the first and second halves of the season. I believe Kiah, though very green right now, will be the stalwart by tournament time and will do what CD says they need in terms of playing alongside Stef and subbing for her as needed.

Re: Caroline - I remember her in the NC game vs. Stanford, penetrating the lane from the top of the key and laying it in a couple of times while the defense was caught napping. For the right-handed lay-in, she needs more strength from the left leg at liftoff. I am wondering if she still has the bounce in that leg to feel confident that she can go to the hole like that. Let's hope so. But I love CD's overall comment that elite players find a way. That's because there is usually a lot more to be gained by better decision-making than there is to be gained by having an extra half step in speed/quickness, especially at the PG position.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Chris Dailey, "When Dr. Joyce said that to me, I remember telling Shea and I have repeated it to Caroline. It’s just a matter of knowing your body and figuring out a way to get things done. No one goes harder than Caroline. There are days she beats people [on the court] she shouldn’t be beating because she has a big heart and wants to play. I give her a lot of credit. I want her to have a great year."

Me, too, Chris, me, too.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
It's disappointing to hear that neither Buck nor Johnson is where the coaches want them to be. I have hopes that Johnson would be an impact player this year as she puts her injuries behind her. However, it may be that the injuries have had a permanent effect on her game as well.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
It's disappointing to hear that neither Buck nor Johnson is where the coaches want them to be. I have hopes that Johnson would be an impact player this year as she puts her injuries behind her. However, it may be that the injuries have had a permanent effect on her game as well.

Well, Geno has often said that you know pretty much what you're going to get by the third year. I don't expect any big leaps from Heather, but you certainly never know. The way I see it with MJ, she didn't really have the usual benefits of a whole year because she was still recuperating for much of it. I think we'll see her make real strides this year.

Reaction Score
Great stuff from CD. Unvarnished, tell-it-like-it-is kind of info.

It will be interesting to see how the three bigs progress in the first and second halves of the season. I believe Kiah, though very green right now, will be the stalwart by tournament time and will do what CD says they need in terms of playing alongside Stef and subbing for her as needed.

Re: Caroline - I remember her in the NC game vs. Stanford, penetrating the lane from the top of the key and laying it in a couple of times while the defense was caught napping. For the right-handed lay-in, she needs more strength from the left leg at liftoff. I am wondering if she still has the bounce in that leg to feel confident that she can go to the hole like that. Let's hope so. But I love CD's overall comment that elite players find a way. That's because there is usually a lot more to be gained by better decision-making than there is to be gained by having an extra half step in speed/quickness, especially at the PG position.

Caroline was 3-11 in that game, 2 of which were threes. She did, however, blow by Pohlen midway through the second half for a lay in with less than five seconds on the shot clock. A very nice play.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Interesting, on all 3 subjects.

I'll focus on the first one. When KML was a 15-year old, the people in the Parade magazine voting thought she was better than all the high school players in the country except for Griner, Bone, and Diggins, all of whom were 2+ years older. When KML was 16, the only better players were Gray and Ogwumike, who were 1+ years older. Last year, she was the best player, with only Elizabeth Williams close. She has been an elite player well beyond her years for a long time. (Sounds like Breanna Stewart!)

Yeah, she is arguably the best shooter to come into the college ranks ever. But she is much more than that. In addition to her basketball skills, she has basketball smarts. I think even more than Maya at a comparable stage. She also loves pressure. Kaleena is a very complete player. Is she great at all phases (yet)? No. But she's off-the-charts good at shooting and scoring and very good at a number of other things. Listen to her teammates and even Geno talk about her shooting. Everyone expects every shot to go in.

She will not be as good as Maya was as a senior. The more apt question is, "Will she have the same impact that Maya had as a freshman?" For anyone who forgets, Maya was a consensues All-Americn and 2nd in the AP Player of the Year voting as a freshman. That may be too much to expect, but the point is that Kaleena is not just an excellent player. She is as good a prospect as we have seen.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
nothing to add to Mil's comments re: Kaleena.

on the post play, CD indicated that no one has shown a consistency to be able to spell Stef in the post. while the games haven't started and there's still time, it has to be a concern that Heather still can't seem to get it done and neither of the other 2 are ready for prime time. Kiah's a freshman. Michala is still coming off 2 years lost due to ACL's. and she's only 6'2". it's spectacular that Stef looks so good. it's troubling that Heather and Michala do not.

for CD the younger, i think they also could have used Kalana Greene as an example. she had fantastic athleticism and used that to her advantage before her injury. after that, she was a tad slower and had to rely more on basketball skills rather sheer instinct and athleticism (i think she said something like that). Caroline may find the same thing. while it appears Geno believes she should start at this point, i think it's clear if she struggles to do certain things, she may find her PT lower in the first half the year as she grows back into her body and abilities...

Reaction Score
She (KML) will not be as good as Maya was as a senior. The more apt question is, "Will she have the same impact that Maya had as a freshman?" For anyone who forgets, Maya was a consensues All-Americn and 2nd in the AP Player of the Year voting as a freshman. That may be too much to expect, but the point is that Kaleena is not just an excellent player. She is as good a prospect as we have seen.

Remember that Maya got a lot more playing time than your average freshman because of the injuries to Mel Thomas and Kalana Greene. That made her more visible to the voters, among other things.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Remember that Maya got a lot more playing time than your average freshman because of the injuries to Mel Thomas and Kalana Greene. That made her more visible to the voters, among other things.
Yep, some of Maya's recognition and stats were the result of circumstances, including injuries to Kalana, Mel, and Caroline (twice). Also, Elena's departure and Kelly's 1-person class put more of a scoring burden on Maya. Kaleena's scoring will depend on PT and shot attempts. But she shoots a high percentage from every spot on the floor.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Question on post play:

If the backups are inconsistent--good at times and weak at others-- does Geno not give them meaningful minutes at all? If he has a need, is he willing to gamble that they are good that game, or does he play someone out of position instead? Sam and Heather played well against Baylor. Geno did not play Heather against ND, though.

Reaction Score
nothing to add to Mil's comments re: Kaleena.

on the post play, CD indicated that no one has shown a consistency to be able to spell Stef in the post. while the games haven't started and there's still time, it has to be a concern that Heather still can't seem to get it done and neither of the other 2 are ready for prime time. Kiah's a freshman. Michala is still coming off 2 years lost due to ACL's. and she's only 6'2". it's spectacular that Stef looks so good. it's troubling that Heather and Michala do not.

for CD the younger, i think they also could have used Kaleena Greene as an example. she had fantastic athleticism and used that to her advantage before her injury. after that, she was a tad slower and had to rely more on basketball skills rather sheer instinct and athleticism (i think she said something like that). Caroline may find the same thing. while it appears Geno believes she should start at this point, i think it's clear if she struggles to do certain things, she may find her PT lower in the first half the year as she grows back into her body and abilities...

Eric, I was thinking of Kaleena Greene, too. She did actually play better it seems when she lost some of her athleticism...I know, that makes no sense, but still...

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Eric, I was thinking of Kalana Greene, too. She did actually play better it seems when she lost some of her athleticism...I know, that makes no sense, but still...
on the surface, i think you are right - it makes little sense, but when you consider that she was forced to rely on basketball skills which helped make her a smarter player, i think it becomes more clear...

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Well, Geno has often said that you know pretty much what you're going to get by the third year. I don't expect any big leaps from Heather, but you certainly never know. The way I see it with MJ, she didn't really have the usual benefits of a whole year because she was still recuperating for much of it. I think we'll see her make real strides this year.

I am hoping MJ steps up....

She was great in HS and I want to see that player again....She can do it!!

GO MJ!!

GO UCONN!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member