John A.: Some of Geno's quotes.... | The Boneyard

John A.: Some of Geno's quotes....

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I think the game played out the way Geno wanted. The game was close in the 2nd half so players needed to make plays and they did. Still, the team didn't play well and could have lost the game. Hopefully players, individually and collectively, will understand that there is a lot of improvement needed if this team wants to achieve its goals.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
The linked piece by John Altavilla quotes Geno, in pertinent part, as follows:

"Geno also said he wanted his team to make absolutely sure that Odyssey Sims worked harder than she has all season to score points Monday. She scored 20, but was 4 of 25."
Makes me feel good about what I wrote here last Wednesday (in the "Moriah's Odyssey" thread):

"Geno will probably alternate Moriah, Bria and Banks on Sims. Wear her down. Make her work hard (both ends of the court) for anything she gets. I think a reasonable goal is to limit her to >20 points and the others to 40 -- and 60 won't beat UConn. Not this year."
I rest my case.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
More than that, Kib, Sims had no foul shots and a total of 5 points in the second half. Three were on a shot when Bria completely blew coverage and way over played to the top of the key and lost Sims for a wide open 3. Sims was COMPLETELY contained in the second half. She did not score in the last 11 minutes of the game.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I was surprised at her body language. When she struggled to get to the bench and was on the verge of tears I was shocked. I think Moriah never gets tired.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
I was surprised at her body language. When she struggled to get to the bench and was on the verge of tears I was shocked. I think Moriah never gets tired.
I think she was hurt. She was rubbing just above the knee.

However, at other times in the game, even the commentators commented on her negative body language, and facial expressions. Not good for someone who is trying to be the leader. I know Sims doesn't like to lose, but she needed to stay positive longer.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
She was but it isn't clear why. Nothing on the court seemed to cause it. She was walking as she crossed mid court and then seemed to melt down for a brief moment. Then she was rubbing the leg inside above the knee.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
She was but it isn't clear why. Nothing on the court seemed to cause it. She was walking as she crossed mid court and then seemed to melt down for a brief moment. Then she was rubbing the leg inside above the knee.
Little bit of cramp is what I thought. I believe that was her first rest in the game.
Telling stat for Sims - 1 steal. She is usually a terror on defense and I didn't think she was a factor last night on that end. As Shea said of Chong's HS career - when you are scoring 40 points a game, you have to take a rest sometime and she got her rest on defense. I think Sims offense is probably cutting into the amount of energy and effectiveness on the defensive end.

Reaction Score
I think the game played out the way Geno wanted. The game was close in the 2nd half so players needed to make plays and they did. Still, the team didn't play well and could have lost the game. Hopefully players, individually and collectively, will understand that there is a lot of improvement needed if this team wants to achieve its goals.
I agree. I don't remember screaming at the tv this much in a long time. What exactly was the Uconn offensive game plan? It certainly wasn't to take advantage of their interior fire power. Instead huskies just kept up running and gunning. At 2:22 left in the game I yelled at the tv that finally Geno decided to do some coaching! From my perspective, the game plan was for a close game at the end , and test huskies response in that scenario! And just what exactly was KML doing last night?

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
I noted that we won this close game. Last year, different team I know, but for example games with ND which were veryy close Connecticut could not close out the W. They did last night. Sure improvements are needed, one should never be satisfied with an result and always look to improve. But they won a close game in a hostile environment.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
When it came to 50-49 it went no further. No more said the team and no more it was.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
When it came to 50-49 it went no further. No more said the team and no more it was.
From the 1-point margin point with 10:50 to go, the UConn D stepped up to hold Baylor to 3-16 on FGA's, 0-1 on FTs (FT defense came up big when needed), 8 TOs, and there were 4 UConn steals and 2 Kiah blocks.

Big-time step up when the chips were on the table. If that vise could have been applied all game, Baylor would have wound up with 22 points

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
In her presser Mulkey said she thought UConn's 8-0 margin in blocks was the difference in the game. Kiah had 4 of the 8, Dolson 2 and Banks and MoJet 1 each. Interestingly, Stewart was shut-out.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I meant to mention Stewie being shutout on blocks. How many expected that before the game.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Uconn's trend of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory last year and the year before was painful. To execute with confidence and depth with the game in doubt is really heartening. This is the uconn I want to see this year.

Reaction Score
I agree. I don't remember screaming at the tv this much in a long time. What exactly was the Uconn offensive game plan? It certainly wasn't to take advantage of their interior fire power. Instead huskies just kept up running and gunning. At 2:22 left in the game I yelled at the tv that finally Geno decided to do some coaching! From my perspective, the game plan was for a close game at the end , and test huskies response in that scenario! And just what exactly was KML doing last night?

If you taped the game watch it agin and some of your questions will be answered. I too screamed as if they could hear me. Baylor packed it in on our bigs and left us open for
3's which KML makes at 50%- she and Stewie had off nights or we win by 25-30 easily. Most of our shots were wide open and only a few of theirs.

huskybill

RIP, huskybill
Reaction Score
I noted that we won this close game. Last year, different team I know, but for example games with ND which were veryy close Connecticut could not close out the W. They did last night. Sure improvements are needed, one should never be satisfied with an result and always look to improve. But they won a close game in a hostile environment.
Absolutely correct. I wondered how this year's team would handle a close game after last year's losing efforts against ND and Baylor. They did the job.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Absolutely correct. I wondered how this year's team would handle a close game after last year's losing efforts against ND and Baylor. They did the job.
And in about as difficult an environment as they will see the rest of the season.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I don't know if Geno thought the kids weren't listening, but he should have more of their attention going forward.

Not just Kaleena, but Stef and Stewie looked gassed. It's time to refocus on conditioning.

Banks needs to be more careful. Maybe the screen was the bigger problem, because I thought the foul was very borderline, but she lost Geno's confidence in an instant.

Saniya must have done something wrong to get pulled so fast.

Rebounding can be improved, though Kiah was great.

Entry passes can improve.

We got beat down the floor about 3x in the second half, and we got out-hustled. Where were Maya and Kelly?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Baylor packed it in on our bigs and left us open for 3's which KML makes at 50%- she and Stewie had off nights or we win by 25-30 easily. Most of our shots were wide open and only a few of theirs.
To say the least. 2-12 on 3 pts from them. Not good.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
I don't know if Geno thought the kids weren't listening, but he should have more of their attention going forward.

Not just Kaleena, but Stef and Stewie looked gassed. It's time to refocus on conditioning.

Banks needs to be more careful. Maybe the screen was the bigger problem, because I thought the foul was very borderline, but she lost Geno's confidence in an instant.

Saniya must have done something wrong to get pulled so fast.

Rebounding can be improved, though Kiah was great.

Entry passes can improve.

We got beat down the floor about 3x in the second half, and we got out-hustled. Where were Maya and Kelly?

This wasn't a game for the young. Saniya likely has had little experience with close games. Her lessons likely were learned on the bench, watching.

Reaction Score

Also, give Baylor a lot of credit. Their defense was generally excellent. John Altavilla says today that in their last 269 games, they have only allowed one team to reach 50% field goal percentage. That's got to be credited to Mulkey. And the amount of rebounds Baylor was able to get, despite being clearly outsized, was impressive (Nina Davis was channeling Kelly Faris, it seemed) and should be one of the lessons that UConn learns from the game. Obviously Baylor is much better than a lot of people thought, at least on their home court, which makes last night's close-game win even more satisfying.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Also, give Baylor a lot of credit. Their defense was generally excellent. John Altavilla says today that in their last 269 games, they have only allowed one team to reach 50% field goal percentage. That's got to be credited to Mulkey. And the amount of rebounds Baylor was able to get, despite being clearly outsized, was impressive (Nina Davis was channeling Kelly Faris, it seemed) and should be one of the lessons that UConn learns from the game. Obviously Baylor is much better than a lot of people thought, at least on their home court, which makes last night's close-game win even more satisfying.

I am not saying anything about Baylor. I am simply saying last year, we were faced with three close and winnable games and lost all three. This year, they pulled out the W in a close game and in a hostile environment. By default, that implies that Baylor gave us a game. Let's not detract from my post about this accomplishment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom