John A.: KML working hard to prove the skeptics wrong | The Boneyard

John A.: KML working hard to prove the skeptics wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Still, Kimball knows better than anyone how large a role genetics play in physiology. And Mosqueda-Lewis has a different body type than most other great athletes.
“This is who Kaleena is. She is never going to be what Brianna Banks was [physically],” Kimball said. “But that’s fine. That’s her body makeup. But my goals for her are not esthetic. It’s about how she feels athletically, can she move and run better, can she move as well as everyone else can. I want to know where she is. I want her fit, in shape, ready to roll. There is a correct way to lose weight and it’s a progressive thing. We are doing it the right way and we will continue to monitor her.”

LINK

Reaction Score
This season if she plays as well as she did in the NCAA Tournament she is a sure fire AA and #1 draft pick. If she plays better than that, may God have mercy on our opponents.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Yes - thought this was a very good article and hope it may limit some of the posts here on the subject

Reaction Score
Having raised my daughter from the age of 10 as a single parent I can tell you there are few trickier, more tender topics than weight. We put so much pressure on young women to conform to a certain body image. They put so much (sometime counterproductive) pressure on themselves. It is not surprising that Kimball and UConn got it right (in my opinion). It is about nutrition and exercise. It is about being healthy, agile, disciplined, strong (and happy) given your genetics, environment and nutritional opportunities.

We should applaud Kaleena as she finds herself in this regard. Her journey will not end this year at UConn but continue as she learns more and is able to apply that knowledge to her life. Both Diana and Maya (two fit athletes at UConn) continued their journey and changed nutritionally after entering the WNBA.

I am willing to bet that, barring injury, KML will have her best year at UConn. It will be fun to watch and I will be applauding her with each dribble, three point shot and opponent defensed.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
"But my goals for her are not esthetic. It’s about how she feels athletically, can she move and run better, can she move as well as everyone else can.”
Bingo.

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score
Good thing about the body type...it carves a big area when she goes to the hoop to rebound...Big body equates to a few more inches in rebounding height....Good for UCONN.

She's a great rebounder from her position and her size helps her in this aspect of her game. To my eye, it also helps her in her ability to score in the paint. The most important thing is that she's well conditioned and I've seen no evidence that she's not and she won't be. Should be an automatic AA unless injuries get in the way.

Reaction Score
Is there any successful WNBA player with KML's body type ? Just curious.

Reaction Score
This season if she plays as well as she did in the NCAA Tournament she is a sure fire AA and #1 draft pick. If she plays better than that, may God have mercy on our opponents.

Because Kaleena sure as hell won't!!

Reaction Score
It sounds like KML has completely bought in with respect to improving her nutrition & workout routines. I can't wait to see all the hard work pay off!

Reaction Score
I like San Antonio's Danielle Adams, she carries around far more weight than I can ever imagine KML doing.

Ay caramba. Enough. Please. Kaleena has had a dynamite 3 years at UConn. She rebounds, defends, shoots and competes with the best in the nation. Over the course of last year's entire NCAA tournament, KALEENA MOSQUEDA-LEWIS was the most consistent, most outstanding player, game in, game out- not Stewart, not Dolson. As great as Stewie and Stef (and Moriah and Bria :) ) were at the Final Four, we would not have made it there without Kaleena's indomitable play. Others had their off-nights, but not Kaleena. How the heck can you focus on weight when you're talking about a kid who fought through a horrific elbow injury AND mononucleosis to lead her team to 40-0 perfection? #23 showed the heart of a warrior and deserves nothing but our unqualified support and thanks. No skeptics.

Reaction Score
I read the comments before KML stepped on the court in a UCONN uniform. I took a rare trip to the TV for an international tournament, just to see if she kept up on "D." Even defending the break, she was always there. 100%.

Reaction Score
Not sure about the WNBA, but Charles Barkley was a Dream Team member and HOF player. And Kaleena is more svelte and a better shooter than Sir Charles.

More svelte than the early version. Not more svelte than Barkley later in his career.

Reaction Score
More svelte than the early version. Not more svelte than Barkley later in his career.

Stop. Enough. I always wanted to be 6ft 6" with jack rabbit quickness and hops like Lebron. But DNA said NOPE.

Reaction Score
Ay caramba. Enough. Please. Kaleena has had a dynamite 3 years at UConn. She rebounds, defends, shoots and competes with the best in the nation. Over the course of last year's entire NCAA tournament, KALEENA MOSQUEDA-LEWIS was the most consistent, most outstanding player, game in, game out- not Stewart, not Dolson. As great as Stewie and Stef (and Moriah and Bria :) ) were at the Final Four, we would not have made it there without Kaleena's indomitable play. Others had their off-nights, but not Kaleena. How the heck can you focus on weight when you're talking about a kid who fought through a horrific elbow injury AND mononucleosis to lead her team to 40-0 perfection? #23 showed the heart of a warrior and deserves nothing but our unqualified support and thanks. No skeptics.
Amen Ruler.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score

McBride is only a little bit slimmer (than some of the slimmer pics of KML). In both cases it's mostly genetics, I think.

Reminds me of a (possibly apocryphal) story about Vince Lombardi. When asked how fast Paul Hornung ran the 40, he responded:

"What the hell difference does it make? He gets in the end zone, doesn’t he?"

She puts the ball in the basket, doesn't she?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Shonni is the first player that came to mind as far as body type - she had a pretty decent rookie season

Reaction Score
She's not the fastest but she is the deadliest shooter. Her 3point shot-money. She gets in the paint-money. You think you can guard her cuz she's slower but you can't cuz she takes it to the bank. Sometimes I can't even believe the shots she makes in traffic in the paint. She truly has lived up to her #1 ranking coming out of high school.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Tamika Whitmore comes to mind - but she didn't ever have the will that KML has. Andrea Stinson....

Genetics and aesthetics aside (I'm getting McLaren and Sherwood flashbacks), the court will show all. I say worry about her college career first THEN her WNBA or international career. Look what D has done with her body over the years....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom