John A.: Geno on the importance of practice | The Boneyard

John A.: Geno on the importance of practice

Status
Not open for further replies.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
“Kids need to understand that it’s here [practice] where you learn to be a good player. I don’t want to hear anymore of this crap about how some guys are game players, not good practice players.
“I’ve never met anyone that was a great game player who didn’t have tremendous work ethic and practice habits. The challenge for everyone, at least those who come here, is learning how to practice with such consistency that you know you are going to perform consistently when you go into a game.”

LINK

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
this is a must read for just about everybody. I don't know anyone who would not benefit from Geno's comments.

Reaction Score

Great player - #1 overall draft pick, rookie of the year, MVP awards, scoring titles, All Star MVP, etc, etc. Never won a championship - no NCAA championship at Georgetown, no NBA championship with Sixers or any of his several other NBA teams. Olympic bronze medal - no gold.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Great player - #1 overall draft pick, rookie of the year, MVP awards, scoring titles, All Star MVP, etc, etc. Never won a championship - no NCAA championship at Georgetown, no NBA championship with Sixers or any of his several other NBA teams. Olympic bronze medal - no gold.

He did drag a mediocre collection of talent to the NBA Finals once.

Reaction Score
Variously attributed to either world-class violinist Jascha Heifetz or pianist Arthur Rubinstein, when asked by tourists lost in NYC "how do we get to Carnegie Hall?" responded- "PRACTICE!" Maestro Geno.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Is this just Geno being Geno, or is he genuinely troubled about the players' work ethic and the way they are practicing? Is it time to worry? Oy

Reaction Score
I do not fully agree although I believe in the importance of practice, especially as it pertains to conditioning and familiarizing yourself with teammates. I do believe that there are athletes who do not necessarily practice well but show up to play on game day while there are others who are demons on the practice floor and totally freeze up when the lights come on.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
One of my favorite sports interviews ever.
Just showed to a family member (not a sports fan) and the person completely did not get it, and I was laughing my whatever off, always do when I watch this. But if you want to laugh even harder, try explaining it to someone...see, he's talking about practice...well, you get it.

Reaction Score
Is this just Geno being Geno, or is he genuinely troubled about the players' work ethic and the way they are practicing? Is it time to worry? Oy
We shouldn't worry - that's his job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul