John A.: Geno not close to retirement | The Boneyard

John A.: Geno not close to retirement

Status
Not open for further replies.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
"As long as I have an effect on players and as long as our staff keeps recruiting the type of player I love to coach, who knows," Auriemma added. "Once that pipeline dries up and I coach players I don't really want to coach. That's the first step to retirement."

LINK

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
tracy.gif

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Couldn't agree more. Some were speculating that he'd hang it up after his current contract runs out. I could easily see him coaching 10-15 more years, BUT there are 2 things IMO that would drive him to retirement much faster:
  1. If, as he says, he stops being able to get the kind of kids he likes to coach or...
  2. The whole "stipend" and paying kids to come to college starts to take over the best kids recruiting experience
And I have to imagine that both are related. Kids who start coming back to Geno saying "I'd really love to play for UCONN, but Texas is offering me $10,000 in addition to my scholarship". Those are the kids to which Geno will say "I rescind your offer", and possibly drive him towards retirement faster...

Reaction Score
Couldn't agree more. Some were speculating that he'd hang it up after his current contract runs out. I could easily see him coaching 10-15 more years, BUT there are 2 things IMO that would drive him to retirement much faster:
  1. If, as he says, he stops being able to get the kind of kids he likes to coach or...
  2. The whole "stipend" and paying kids to come to college starts to take over the best kids recruiting experience
And I have to imagine that both are related. Kids who start coming back to Geno saying "I'd really love to play for UCONN, but Texas is offering me $10,000 in addition to my scholarship". Those are the kids to which Geno will say "I rescind your offer", and possibly drive him towards retirement faster...
I could see up to 10 years, but 15 is a stretch as that means he'd be 76 upon retirement.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I could see up to 10 years, but 15 is a stretch as that means he'd be 76 upon retirement.

There is at least one precedent.

Dick LeBeau continues to actively coach the Pittsburgh Steelers' defensive unit, both as Defensive Coordinator and on the field (sidelines) during games (at least16, plus 4 preseason and possible post-season), in all kinds of weather.

Geno is at least as tough as LeBeau (and with more job security).

Reaction Score
There is at least one precedent.

Dick LeBeau continues to actively coach the Pittsburgh Steelers' defensive unit, both as Defensive Coordinator and on the field (sidelines) during games (at least16, plus 4 preseason and possible post-season), in all kinds of weather.

Geno is at least as tough as LeBeau (and with more job security).
We shall see, but Geno has other aspirations in life. He's got that restaurant thing going on, his ultimate dream is to have his own vineyard, and he seems to be everywhere all the time. I could see him starting (as in starting to seriously think about) the transition after the KLS/Boykin/Collier class graduates. I say Geno ends his career with a baker's dozen titles. Anyone dare take the under?

Reaction Score
the link above may not take one to the story. Bottom line: Rollie at 80ish still coaching. so the Italian genos may bode well for a long Geno tenure.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score

I believe that the ones that want to come to UConn and win championships, and be coached by the best coaching staff hands down will come.

No amount of money will change that.

Reaction Score
Bobby Bowden was asked, while still coaching Florida State football at 80, when he thought he might retire: "Retire? After that there's only one major event left!"

Reaction Score
  1. The whole "stipend" and paying kids to come to college starts to take over the best kids recruiting experience
So what happens tomorrow when, instead of signing an LOI to UCONN, Collier or KLS says, "I owe it to my family to wait a few months and see how that Texas $10,000/year plays out."

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Seriously... isnt there a mandatory retirement age for Connecticut state employees? I assume the coaches at UCONN are technically state employees? Right?

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Seriously... isnt there a mandatory retirement age for Connecticut state employees? I assume the coaches at UCONN are technically state employees? Right?

Dan Malloy would write his political obituary if he directed Geno to retire.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
That recruiting piece Geno said is key. If there's any other coach who will to engage in negative recruiting, s/he might say to a kid who's considering both UConn and his/her school, "Well sure, UConn's a great WBB program, but gee, Geno's already 60 years old. You can't know when he's going to retire or who the heck is going to replace him. Would you want to go through that uncertainty during your college career?

Geno's response: "As long as I get to recruit and coach a kid like you, I'll never leave."

I think Geno has proactively sent that message, and it will resonate with girls Geno is recruiting.

And as long as Geno gets to recruit and coach the kids he believes are his type of player, I hope he's at UConn for many, many years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wygyschk

Top Bottom