John A: Geno calls 2001 - 02 greatest in WCBB history | Page 2 | The Boneyard

John A: Geno calls 2001 - 02 greatest in WCBB history

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Cheryl Miller being active in 1986 was my primary argument against Kamie Etheridge winning the Wade Trophy. My feeling is that as long as Cheryl Miller was playing, there could not have been anyone better. My other argument was that Kamie Etheridge was not even the best player on that Longhorn team.
Kamie was pretty darn good. It is hard to imagine anyone being better than Cheryl Miller, and maybe she wasn't but she had a pretty good run. Who on the Longhorns did you think was better? Fran Harris?

Reaction Score
speedoo said:
"got beat up by"? That UConn team had lost two All American seniors, Shea Ralph and Sveta very late in the season. Put either of them in that game and it's a different outcome.​
I don't agree with "beat up" either. Against a very good team, we got away from the game plan and went ice cold. But the loss motivated them, and that would be the only NCAA tourney game that Diana would ever lose.

Up 12 at halftime, lose by 15, a 27 point swing, the winning team scores 53 points in the second half on the way to 90, UConn scores just 26 in the second half? I had never given a thought to it before, but "beat up" seems most apt. Shea Ralph and Svetlana Abrosimova aside, that is still an outstanding UConn team out on the floor.

Reaction Score
Kamie was pretty darn good. It is hard to imagine anyone being better than Cheryl Miller, and maybe she wasn't but she had a pretty good run. Who on the Longhorns did you think was better? Fran Harris?

Clarissa Davis; a bona fide stud, even as a freshman, who would go on to win a Wade Trophy of her own, was the person I had in mind. Fran Harris was darn good and was considered the team MVP. Ms Etheridge was not even the second best player on her team. Which is not disprespectful by any means, but not worthy of a Wade Trophy.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
speedoo said:
"got beat up by"? That UConn team had lost two All American seniors, Shea Ralph and Sveta very late in the season. Put either of them in that game and it's a different outcome.​

Up 12 at halftime, lose by 15, a 27 point swing, the winning team scores 53 points in the second half on the way to 90, UConn scores just 26 in the second half? I had never given a thought to it before, but "beat up" seems most apt. Shea Ralph and Svetlana Abrosimova aside, that is still an outstanding UConn team out on the floor.
To me, "beat up" implies a physical beating. The terms that I have used include "collapse," "stinking up the place," and "being badly outplayed." It may have been the worst half of basketball in Geno's tenure, and it was against a very good team.

The next day, from my hotel room in St. Louis, I watched the Maryland men do exactly the same thing against Duke. I would have won $200 in a friend's office pool if Maryland had hung on. :). Both Connecticut and Maryland made amends the following year.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
One might say, "The way they played was as welcome as a fart in a perfume factory."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom