John A.: Geno admits things are different now | The Boneyard

John A.: Geno admits things are different now

Status
Not open for further replies.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
“There is growing sentiment now about playing time, individual goals and priorities. I get questions now I never used to get. Diana Taurasi, Shea Ralph, Sue Bird and Maya Moore never once asked me what position they would be playing, what their role would be on the team. I never would here [sic] that question. Today, it’s almost the first question I get. The great ones know they are good enough that they will be the ones who will determine what their roles will be."

LINK

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Great quotes. Just like things changed back when he never started recruiting kids till their junior years, they are changing again as well, all the time actually.

Gives one an appreciation of the sustained excellence we've been privileged to be a part of over the past 20 years. Geno has accomplished more in less time than any coach in the history of WCBB. It's why he's the best at what he does - just like The Wolverine! :p

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Years from now after all is said and done I would love to hear Geno's take on the DeShield's recruitment saga.... Probably never will but I bet it would be a pretty interesting story.

wes33

Revels in Blue Devils
Reaction Score
There are some very decent coaches around who look sub par after playing you guys
and have their fan base somewhat dissatisfied. Geno is the best our game has seen
by far, so its unfortunate for a lot of coaches to have him as the standard for their
work. Timing can be a blessing or------------

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Years from now after all is said and done I would love to hear Geno's take on the DeShield's recruitment saga.... Probably never will but I bet it would be a pretty interesting story.
I think you just heard his take on that in his comments quoted in this article, without the individual attribution. You could speculate that he may have heard similar inquiries from Asia Durr, A'ja Wilson, and or Arike Ogunbuwale. He tends to make generic comments like this after some recent disappointing experience(s).

To me it seems natural that a recruit would ask the coach what he thinks her role on the team might be. I have certainly asked similar questions when I was being interviewed for a job. I don't think that simply asking the question is an indication of self-centeredness. But I also understand why he would not want to give an informative answer.

If a recruit chooses another program because that coach is more definite about what her role will be, that is an understandable decision.

I wonder if Ms. Wilson would have come to UConn if she had known that Natalie Butler would be here to play center, so she wouldn't be forced to play a position that she didn't want to play.

Reaction Score
... I wonder if Ms. Wilson would have come to UConn if she had known that Natalie Butler would be here to play center, so she wouldn't be forced to play a position that she didn't want to play.

Good point. But as far as I'm concerned, to hell with them if they don't want to play for Geno but would rather create their own 'legacy' at Sweet Potato U. Many other superb players are lining up at the door now in Storrs.

Last edited:

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I wonder if Ms. Wilson would have come to UConn if she had known that Natalie Butler would be here to play center, so she wouldn't be forced to play a position that she didn't want to play.

Wilson revealed that UConn was her second choice behind SC. Had it not been for an up-and-coming program five minutes from her home that one of her best friends will be playing for, I think she likely ends up a Husky.

Reaction Score
It is very nice of Coach Auriemma to spin a revisionist tale enhancing the image of his Wall of Honor assistant coach, but the fact is that Shea Ralph specifically asked what her role would be at UConn and it was Coach Auriemma's response that convinced her to shorten the recruiting process and commit to UConn after her visit to campus which was moved up a month at her request. (Geno - In Pursuit of Perfection, pages 77-78).

Whether the recruits ask the question or not, it is all about playing time.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
It may be as simple as her not wanting to Leave her home, or general area where her family could watch her play. And I think, like Geno said, the chance to play and potentially knock off UC is great motivation for many! Which is great for the game!

Reaction Score
It is very nice of Coach Auriemma to spin a revisionist tale enhancing the image of his Wall of Honor assistant coach, but the fact is that Shea Ralph specifically asked what her role would be at UConn and it was Coach Auriemma's response that convinced her to shorten the recruiting process and commit to UConn after her visit to campus which was moved up a month at her request. (Geno - In Pursuit of Perfection, pages 77-78).

Whether the recruits ask the question or not, it is all about playing time.
Geno: "Shea, I don't know. If you're really really good then you'll have a chance to play a lot. If you suck, then you won't play at all."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom