John A. comment.... What say you? | The Boneyard

John A. comment.... What say you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
* If there aren’t 15,000 human beings in the XL Center for Monday’s game, I will be OK with anyone who concludes that the thrill of seeing a national championship contender in person is gone for good in the land of steady habits. At that point, fans lose the right to bitch about conference affiliation.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
The game is against a weakened Terp team, not against a real contender like Baylor or Stanford or even a true rival like ND.. JA is dreaming if he really expects 15k.

And people keep telling us conference affiliation is all about football anyway, so why taunt WBB fans with this cr*p?

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
* If there aren’t 15,000 human beings in the XL Center for Monday’s game, I will be OK with anyone who concludes that the thrill of seeing a national championship contender in person is gone for good in the land of steady habits. At that point, fans lose the right to bitch about conference affiliation.
To John A...how much are tickets? And parking?

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk 2

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score
Very thoughtful and generous commentary from an individual who is paid to be at the game and placed in a front row seat.

Reaction Score

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk 2
Can park for between $5-10 and tickets $13 after service charge.

Reaction Score
Tell me, John - how's the view from your seat, compared to multi-angle coverage on a 60-inch HDTV set?

Even though my view from pretty good seats at center court will be inferior to that shown on television, and the food at the Civic Center sucks, and that Maryland is cannon fodder without Mincy, I'll be there anyway to cheer the Huskies on.

Reaction Score
I think at the root of this comment, his point is simply that we've been spoiled by success. Attendance has been on a bit of decline the past few years as our team makes habits of routing 90-95% of our opponents on a yearly basis. The game on Monday represents an opportunity for a national television audience, to support a great cause, and to allow the country to see what great support UConn women's basketball has and why any recruit would want a chance to play for this team. Most fans (besides this small population of posters who spend more time following the nuances of every potential UConn opponent then doing who knows what) would see #2/#11 and think "Hey, that should be a good game!"

In that regard, then yes, hopefully 15,000 will get out to Hartford and support their team (especially those who are so vociferous on how great the Huskies are, both in their everyday life and on this forum).

The conference comment is moot as UConn won't be moving based on women's basketball affiliations.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Fans of the program don't need or deserve a loyalty test administered by John Altavilla.

Tell you what John, I live in South Carolina but if you send me a round-trip ticket I will be happy to do my part in meeting your silly, arbitrary attendance number. And do please let us know what the quota is for the Penn St. game. Wouldn't want to disappoint you on that one either.

As for the silly linkage to conference affiliations.... ah, forget it.

Reaction Score
Tell me, John - how's the view from your seat, compared to multi-angle coverage on a 60-inch HDTV set?

Even though my view from pretty good seats at center court will be inferior to that shown on television, and the food at the Civic Center sucks, and that Maryland is cannon fodder without Mincy, I'll be there anyway to cheer the Huskies on.

Wonk, you will be siting right behind John boy. LOL Why don't you tell him your self!

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
I think at the root of this comment, his point is simply that we've been spoiled by success. Attendance has been on a bit of decline the past few years as our team makes habits of routing 90-95% of our opponents on a yearly basis. The game on Monday represents an opportunity for a national television audience, to support a great cause, and to allow the country to see what great support UConn women's basketball has and why any recruit would want a chance to play for this team. Most fans (besides this small population of posters who spend more time following the nuances of every potential UConn opponent then doing who knows what) would see #2/#11 and think "Hey, that should be a good game!"

In that regard, then yes, hopefully 15,000 will get out to Hartford and support their team (especially those who are so vociferous on how great the Huskies are, both in their everyday life and on this forum).

The conference comment is moot as UConn won't be moving based on women's basketball affiliations.

My recollection of the situation is this: bad economy, fixed incomes, many out of work, and ticket prices going up - plus - good seats going to corporations and not fans.....am I wrong?

arch

Reaction Score
My recollection of the situation is this: bad economy, fixed incomes, many out of work, and ticket prices going up - plus - good seats going to corporations and not fans.....am I wrong?

Didn't stop us in the past. Prices have been slashed resulting in a huge net loss of revenue.
The excuses ring hollow after a while.

I wonder if his point is that if UConn fans aren't interested in UConn sports why would we expect another conference to be interested in UConn.

Anyway, the test he suggests has already been given, many times, and we have failed it repeatedly.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't mind spending even more money if I could get a good seat but I'm not going to sit so far from the court that I can't see the numbers on the jerseys. Maybe John should instead ask why so many "corporate sponsor" seats go unused?

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Didn't stop us in the past. Prices have been slashed resulting in a huge net loss of revenue.
The excuses ring hollow after a while.

I wonder if his point is that if UConn fans aren't interested in UConn sports why would we expect another conference to be interested in UConn.

Anyway, the test he suggests has already been given, many times, and we have failed it repeatedly.

John has (again) oversold his point, but he has a good one. There were two games at the XL center last week (women's and men's) and only 8-9000 showed up for each game. Many say it was the weak competition. Now there's a ranked team coming in to play a truly special UConn team and it's not looking like there will be many more fannies in the seats Monday night. Honestly, I don't understand it and I wish I lived closer. If I weren't working the night shift at the hospital Sunday night I'd probably drive up from Phila. I truly do understand the economic issues, but there aren't that many opportunities to see this team play. Responsibility for this does fall in part on the UConn athletic dept, but he's right about the UConn fans. I think this all feeds in to the perception that there really isn't a lot of buzz around UConn athletics.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
We? I live out of state. I never miss a game if I can help it. I watch televised games, games online (when they were on CPTV) and when in rehearsal on game nights, I watch the espn game tracker and then look at the game when it was posted online. My butt may not in a seat at the game, but my heart is with the team always.

ALWAYS. and I am sure that there are many more like me out of state, and many in state that financially cannot manage ticket costs, travel, gas, etc. Economy plays a big part of my life these days as others. A comment such as Mr. Altavilla's though his right to make is just unthinking and from my viewpoint, wrong.

Reaction Score
I suppose I should keep my mouth shut because I won't be at the game (although living in Arizona is a damn good reason for not being there). I have mixed feelings about John and his comments. It's hard to argue with his main point, which is that this game (and the excitement of this team overall) should be enough to bring out fans. Also, I am not among those who think the bad economy deserves all the blame. I lived in and around Hartford during the period when the city lost most of its retail, when Constitution Plaza went from being jam-packed with office workers at lunch to being a ghost town. Even granted that a lot of the change back then was from the city to the Hartford suburbs, it's a fact that people had enough money to see a few games a year if they chose to.

But on the negative side, it seems to me that he's almost always a day late and a dollar short. Attendance has been trending downward for some time, and while Altavilla has reported on it occasionally, he hasn't issued challenged like this to the fans back when things started going south. Maybe he should have.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I have resisted the opp to make either a crack or a serious comment.
My record requires me to abstain.
But...if I were in NY or Vermont, I would be here, even happily in the rafters for the live experience.
Nothing beats it.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
I have resisted the opp to make either a crack or a serious comment.
My record requires me to abstain.
But...if I were in NY or Vermont, I would be here, even happily in the rafters for the live experience.
Nothing beats it.

It's expensive to get up there with no car...and no job I might add....

Reaction Score

You can get a walk-up ticket for $10. Sure, you're not going to get a
great seat, but you will get the ambiance and a chance to have our
girls hear your voice cheering for them.

As for parking, if you can handle a brief 10 minute walk, there's plenty
of free parking east of the Bushnell.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
When I was a student at UConn they were in the Yankee Conference. All the games I remember in the Field House were near capacity. That's much less than Gampel and the Civic Center of course, but my point is that the games were easy to get to and dirt cheap for a student. Many students got into the HABIT of going to basketball games, and we often had to wait in lines ahead of time to get tickets. Had Gampel existed back in Yankee Conference days with the same relative cost and access for students even more students would have developed the habit of going to basketball games. However, if some of that capacity is reserved for corporate seating, that's fewer students that will develop the habit even should the seating open up for any particular game. Fewer still will get in the habit as costs escalate. Fewer still will get in the habit with remote access. They will develop other habits instead, particularly if almost every game can be viewed on television.

When comparing our attendance to others, the comparison should be made apples to apples, i.e., other places where ticket prices for the women are $13 + parking with remote access for students and a large chunk targeted for corporate seating. I doubt our attendance lags in that comparison; but then I wonder if there is any other "apple" with which to compare. I like JA's columns in general, but that was just plain dumb.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Well, I'll be there -- bus trip up and down from NYC: $25 (that'll be 6 hrs. on a bus, two hours of basketball, John) and whatever ticket I can get at the arena.

As for the article, honestly, I'd rather John research than opinionate.

sTu

Reaction Score
I thought his view came as an opinion in his blog. Was it also in print in the Courant?

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
You can get a walk-up ticket for $10. Sure, you're not going to get a
great seat, but you will get the ambiance and a chance to have our
girls hear your voice cheering for them.

As for parking, if you can handle a brief 10 minute walk, there's plenty
of free parking east of the Bushnell.

nosebleed seats and "free parking".

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
I thought his view came as an opinion in his blog. Was it also in print in the Courant?

I know it's his opinion -- and a "random tidbit" -- but I still would rather he research than opinionate on this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom