John A.: Attendance decline continues | Page 2 | The Boneyard

John A.: Attendance decline continues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm not sure many teams that should be on UConn's schedule were looking to spend Thanksgiving weekend playing in a tournament in Storrs, CT rather than the Bahamas, or Puerto Rico or Cancun or Hawaii. The organizer of the World Vision Classic (or whatever it's called) was fortunate that LSU showed up last year and Dayton this year.

Next year UConn will spend Thanksgiving in the Bahamas so the group that puts together this tournament -- Basketball Travelers, Inc. -- will have to find another desirable location for its tournament.
Basketball Travelers put these games together? You mean the World Vision Tournament doesn't benefit some sort of eyesight charity?

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
You're right about consistently good programs, but there are consistently middle-of-the-road programs that have occasionally wonderful years and are always respectable. I submit that a home-and-home series with respectable makes a whole lot more sense than a one-off with Fairleigh Freakin Dickinson, for crying out loud! The result, in terms of the benefit to the UConn team, is not the same whether it's Hofstra or UCLA. It's just not, even if UConn beats each team by 30.
So, if I were running the world, who would I schedule? Well, I cannot know whether these teams would be interested, and in some cases the travel would be a logistical nightmare, and at least some of these teams would not want to use up a non-conference slot for a near-sure loss. Even as I grant you all that, I ask you to suspend disbelief for a moment, okay?

Marist. Temple. Florida State. Wisconsin-Green Bay. Gonzaga. ASU. UCLA. Cal. Maryland. Miami. Xavier. Iowa State. Texas. Texas Tech. Georgia Tech. Vanderbilt. Penn State. Kansas State. Michigan State.

Some of these games would be blowouts. But while this is basketball, it is also entertainment. Fact is, people have actually heard of these programs, as opposed to, say, Iona, which lots of people have never heard of at all. People might want to come just because it's Michigan State, even if Michigan State isn't paricularly well regarded this year. They are marquee universities, if not marquee programs, and that alone can generate some excitement that the Towsons of the world cannot.
OK here's what you should do. Call Marist and those other programs and get 3 of them to come to this tournament. If you succeed, you'll be happy, right? And if you don't succeed, maybe you will understand why UConn played these three teams this weekend.

Reaction Score
It is really refreshing to read a civil discussion of a topic that I first opened a while ago. At the time I was called "chicken little" among other less pleasant things. By the end of last year most BYer's had recognized that falling attendance was going to be a problem. The Athletic Department also acknowledged the problem. Their solution was to schedule more home games. The head coach's solution was to rant at the fans for being spoiled - at least until a couple of BYer's pointed out the issues driving fan erosion.

I believe that marketing the team is the solution. Students. students and students would be a good start. Market the game to women who are generally under represented in the UConn fan base - and the Boneyard as well.

Reaction Score
It is really refreshing to read a civil discussion of a topic that I first opened a while ago. At the time I was called "chicken little" among other less pleasant things. By the end of last year most BYer's had recognized that falling attendance was going to be a problem. The Athletic Department also acknowledged the problem. Their solution was to schedule more home games. The head coach's solution was to rant at the fans for being spoiled - at least until a couple of BYer's pointed out the issues driving fan erosion.

I believe that marketing the team is the solution. Students. students and students would be a good start. Market the game to women who are generally under represented in the UConn fan base - and the Boneyard as well.

They don't care about student tickets...not enough money there...

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
You're right about consistently good programs, but there are consistently middle-of-the-road programs that have occasionally wonderful years and are always respectable. I submit that a home-and-home series with respectable makes a whole lot more sense than a one-off with Fairleigh Freakin Dickinson, for crying out loud! The result, in terms of the benefit to the UConn team, is not the same whether it's Hofstra or UCLA. It's just not, even if UConn beats each team by 30.
So, if I were running the world, who would I schedule? Well, I cannot know whether these teams would be interested, and in some cases the travel would be a logistical nightmare, and at least some of these teams would not want to use up a non-conference slot for a near-sure loss. Even as I grant you all that, I ask you to suspend disbelief for a moment, okay?

Marist. Temple. Florida State. Wisconsin-Green Bay. Gonzaga. ASU. UCLA. Cal. Maryland. Miami. Xavier. Iowa State. Texas. Texas Tech. Georgia Tech. Vanderbilt. Penn State. Kansas State. Michigan State.

Some of these games would be blowouts. But while this is basketball, it is also entertainment. Fact is, people have actually heard of these programs, as opposed to, say, Iona, which lots of people have never heard of at all. People might want to come just because it's Michigan State, even if Michigan State isn't paricularly well regarded this year. They are marquee universities, if not marquee programs, and that alone can generate some excitement that the Towsons of the world cannot.
Here's the problem with that. Michigan State will probably want a home-and-home, so we sacrifice a home game to play them. So we get an opponent we will surely lambaste, but yes they have some brand equity. What is the result? A game against Michigan State may get a few more fans, but not enough to make up for the lost home game. If Pacific can pull 6,500 fans, two Pacifics who bring in 13,000 fans. How many would Michigan State bring in? 7,500? 8,000? And then we have absorb the cost of travelling to East Lansing. The experience from a fan perspective isn't markedly better (as UConn will kick the crap out of MSU), and the cost to UConn is greater. Certainly, I don't remember a thing about the LSU and Purdue games last year, and I was at the Purdue game!

Now, I wouldn't mind scheduling a couple more games against some middle-of-the-pack programs that a) are national brands/or are regionally close and b) are in fertile recruiting grounds. Texas and Marist come immediately to mind. I don't think that will be a silver bullet for attendance, but there's value there that warrants trying to schedule those games.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
They don't care about student tickets...not enough money there...
Well, they kind of do. Otherwise, they wouldn't do the giveways and such to encourage student attendance...or play in Gampel at all, really. Gampel is convenient to pretty much no one but students.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Geno's thoughts on scheduling from today's post-game presser (courtesy of Jim Fuller's blog):

Auriemma did say he'd like to have more games like the one against Stanford than the three blowouts against overmatched teams like what transpired over the weekend.

"I'd like to do more of that," Auriemma said. "I think the whole month of November and early December, there should be a tremendous amount of non-conference games against really good opponents because I do think it creates excitement for the rest of the season. Unfortunately TV wants some in January, some in February and they want to spread them around I think all those November, early December game, I know I would rather play more of them. Trying to balance how many home games you have to play, how many top 25, top 30 teams you have to play. It is not an easy juggling act but I know I would like to do more of it and look into that for the next two or three years and see how many we could put together. You can't always get people to agree. You'd be surprised how many teams who don't want to do it, There are five, six, seven, eight schools who want to do it but we already play them but then there are a bunch of schools who don't want to do it. Carol Stiff (of ESPN) has a hard time putting games together because some schools say 'I don't want to do it' which I find hard to believe."

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
Geno says people would be surprised how many teams don't want to play UConn. I don't think many of us here would be that surprised. My list, from the current top 25 (AP list):

Tennessee
Maryland
Georgia
Ohio State (probably mutual, Geno"pal")
Kentucky (Summitt disciple)
LSU (see above)
Texas Tech

Most of the rest of the top 25 we either already play or we are taking a break and will probably resume (eg UNC). So at best the remaining top 25 opportunities are Purdue, Penn State, Virginia, Texas and UCLA. Maybe a couple of those teams would be receptive. Maybe.

My point is, there is not exactly a long list of good candidates to play. A point that has been made repeatedly in these discussions.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score

all above (most) have great rowdy fanbases which would make for exciting entertainment... and a different type of rivalry even if they get stomped home or away.

Reaction Score
My 2 cents from 3000 miles away.
Too many blowouts over bad teams, HC, Pacific, FDU, Buffalo.
I would rather see a competitive game than a blow out.
I love to go to high school games out in So Cal and love to watch Mater Dei games. However, I am not $pending money when the other team isnt competitive, whether its HS or College games.
I will see Mater Dei play about 3-4 times when they play teams who can be competitive.
Start scheduling more games vs Stanfords and Dukes and Oklahomas and less against the 4 teams I mentioned in line two above.
They play each of those teams, plus Texas A&M and Baylor. Not even including conference foes. Do they need to play them 3-4 times each? It's tough to beat a good team 4x in 1 season.

Reaction Score
I would love to attend more games and I am willing to pay more than the current asking price for seats, BUT I am only going if I can get good seats where I can get a great view of the team and the plays. I would go even if it is not a competitive match-up since the UCONN approach is to play great team basketball regardless of the opponent. In Storrs and Hartford those good seats all seem to be owned by people who do not attend, so neither do I. If the choice is either my living room or a nose-bleed location watching ants scurry around on the court from seats made of rock, than that is no choice!
I mostly attend mens games but this is EXACTLY how ive felt for years. I have no problem spending more for my tickets as long as my seat is good. Bottom line is i am a Uconn fan and want to see the team up close no matter who they play. Ive overpaid for the Fairfields, Coppin States, and Iona's just as much as the Pitt, Cuse, Louisville games. I would never sit in the upper section at the XL center ever again..its just way to high and thats where i would draw the line and rather watch it on tv.

Ruffian75

Uncle Mo of Posters
Reaction Score
All of the factors mentioned in the thread sound true, but attendance for UConn is still excellent. I would be most interested if there is anyone who doesn't attend as much as previously for some reason OTHER than the ones discussed, some factor no one has thought of.

Attendance is still excellent? In '04 it was 13,000. It is now 7500. At this rate, the coaching staff at $2.2 mil is going to eat up the gate receipts all by themselves. If no one has noticed, ticket prices are now $10 for many games, down from $22 last year for all games. If you haven't noticed UConn is third in their own conference in attendance

At Hartford.....$9 beers drawn through lines that haven't been cleaned in years. $5 cold hotdogs on stale buns.

Gampel...what can I say? The absolute most uncomfortable venue I have been to since the old field house in the '60s. The place makes me claustrophobic. It is scary to think of a fire in that place. On the bright side, concrete doesn't burn. Then, unlike the XL, there is the geriatic Gezpatcho that won't let fans move down from their concrete slabs when half of the lower bowl seats are empty. There is absolutely nothing edible in the building.

Latest deterrent....the pledge of allegiance. It is a damn sporting event, not a patriotic gathering.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Attendance is still excellent? In '04 it was 13,000. It is now 7500. At this rate, the coaching staff at $2.2 mil is going to eat up the gate receipts all by themselves. If no one has noticed, ticket prices are now $10 for many games, down from $22 last year for all games. If you haven't noticed UConn is third in their own conference in attendance

At Hartford.....$9 beers drawn through lines that haven't been cleaned in years. $5 cold hotdogs on stale buns.

Gampel...what can I say? The absolute most uncomfortable venue I have been to since the old field house in the '60s. The place makes me claustrophobic. It is scary to think of a fire in that place. On the bright side, concrete doesn't burn. Then, unlike the XL, there is the geriatic Gezpatcho that won't let fans move down from their concrete slabs when half of the lower bowl seats are empty. There is absolutely nothing edible in the building.

Latest deterrent....the pledge of allegiance. It is a damn sporting event, not a patriotic gathering.
That was probably due to the World vision sponsorship, see the other thread.

Ruffian75

Uncle Mo of Posters
Reaction Score
That was probably due to the World vision sponsorship, see the other thread.

Regarding the pledge, no it isn't Icebear. It has been at ALL games this year. After putting up with every negativity mentioned in this thread and attending 6 or 7 games every year over the last 10 or 12 years, this might be the straw that finally broke this camel's back. There is only so much crap one can put up with.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
The Notre Dame games were sold out months ago. Tix are hard to come by, even for faculty. The whole town seems to turn out for the women's games, wearing their green t-shirts, buying their dawgs, etc. Parking is an enormous free lot, and the atmosphere is like a circus. To have South Bend native Diggins as the star also makes the place rock; people have been watching her since high school. Of course the arena is smaller, and easier to fill, but the support is incredible, none the less. UConn should address this; it would be worth it to the university, and Geno and the kids deserve some marketing attention. What a saga UConn WBB is!! Make it easy and cheap to go and people will come, and once they come, they'll be back!

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Before going to radical measures, the UConn athletic department might try taking a course in Introduction to Group Sales. BOth basketball teams spoiled the Athletic Department, , blasting right to the top almost out of nowhere, the teams marketed themselves and the department was spoiled, never really had to learn the tricks of the trade. Now that self-marketing edge is rapidly eroding. They still have a good product to sell, but they need to actually get out and sell it.

Excellent point, one I've made a couple of times. Yes, when the teams were selling out, why spend time and energy dreaming up ways to convince more people to show up? Now they need to but don't have a history to call upon. Luckily, many other teams do have the need to be inventive, and you can't patent such ideas, so we should chat with other teams and appropriate the best tactics. The good news is that we aren't competing for the same customers, so other schools won't have an incentive to keep good ideas to themselves.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Regarding the pledge, no it isn't Icebear. It has been at ALL games this year. After putting up with every negativity mentioned in this thread and attending 6 or 7 games every year over the last 10 or 12 years, this might be the straw that finally broke this camel's back. There is only so much crap one can put up with.
Ruffian that was already said in the thread and I acknowledged it.

Reaction Score
Well, they kind of do. Otherwise, they wouldn't do the giveways and such to encourage student attendance...or play in Gampel at all, really. Gampel is convenient to pretty much no one but students.
If they cared about students over big donor dollars, students would be sitting all around the court.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
If they cared about students over big donor dollars, students would be sitting all around the court.
That's kind of unfair. If people are willing to donate thousands of dollars, there's not a program in the country who'd be unwilling to accept that money. As is, students get a big courtside section for $48 season passes, and it's rarely filled (though to their credit, they did show up and make an impact for Stanford).

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
That's kind of unfair. If people are willing to donate thousands of dollars, there's not a program in the country who'd be unwilling to accept that money. As is, students get a big courtside section for $48 season passes, and it's rarely filled (though to their credit, they did show up and make an impact for Stanford).
I believe Maryland has students all around the court. I am sure there are many corporate sponsors in MD, too.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I believe Maryland has students all around the court. I am sure there are many corporate sponsors in MD, too.
Not just corporate sponsors, but donors who make four figure annual donations to Maryland's equivalent of UConn Club? I'm skeptical Maryland has anything approaching UConn's volumes.

Reaction Score

Exactly my point...money talks above all else...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom