Joey California | The Boneyard

Joey California

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I was dead wrong on this kid, didn’t think he’d cut it in serious minutes at this level. His offensive game is much more complete than just spot up shooting, his skills are gonna keep him in the rotation. He’s giving me Kromah vibes, obviously severely different games. Staff deserves a gold star for pulling this kid outa left field.

Apollo

step back from the ledge
Reaction Score
agreed - kid has been the biggest surprise for me. Started off a little rough with TO's and D, but seems to be cleaning that stuff up game by game. His 3's are daggers

Reaction Score
Offensive game is there and he held up way better than I expected defensively (and way better than he had a couple of the earlier games). He was on the court a lot with Clingan and I liked that pairing because Clingan as help D in the paint covers up a lot of his defensive deficiencies.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I said he was the best perimeter scorer out of him Diarra, and Alleyne but if he keeps this up he might be the most complete one on the team. Between him and Newton.

Reaction Score
11 points, 4 assists. Impact player. Veteran. Thought he looked better than some of our more beloved guys tonight, namely Ajax and Alex. I say that as a huge fan of both of them.
Alex was fine tonight. Hes a stretch 4 whos limited athletically who had to face off to athletic 7 footers basically. Its a tough ask for a freshmen. Ajax absolutely stunk up the place with some of the worst passing decisions ive seen a while.

Reaction Score
I admit I also didn't think he'd really crack the rotation. He's been better than Alleyne in a lot of ways, who is rushing his shots. Joey C has the confidence to take his time, set his feet, and knock down shots.

He can make the open shot, he's savvy. He can occasionally take it to the rock, and is an above average passer. They went after him on D a couple times, and they got to him once or twice, but he forced a couple misses, too. Trying to come up with a comp, but it's tough. We usually have more athletic guys. Might have to go for a different team. Mike Nardi?

Reaction Score
Alex was fine tonight. Hes a stretch 4 whos limited athletically who had to face off to athletic 7 footers basically. Its a tough ask for a freshmen. Ajax absolutely stunk up the place with some of the worst passing decisions ive seen a while.

5TOs, but also 5 assists, 4 rebounds and 2 steals. Also missed 2 FTs.

Reaction Score
So I called up the Captain
"Please bring me my wine"
He said, 'We haven't had that spirit here
Since 1999”
And still those voices are calling from far away
Wake you up in the middle of the night
Just to hear them say
Welcome to Joey California
Such a lovely shot (such a lovely shot)
Such a lovely shot
They livin' it up with Joey California
What a nice surprise (what a nice surprise)
Bring your alibis

caw

Reaction Score
agreed - kid has been the biggest surprise for me. Started off a little rough with TO's and D, but seems to be cleaning that stuff up game by game. His 3's are daggers

Having AJax and Hawkins have helped him in regards to both TO and D I think. He has fewer ball handling responsibilities and AJax and Hawkins help a ton defensively with their length and speed.

Reaction Score
Always nice to see a player hungry for minutes, busting their butt and then taking minutes from other good players.

Just saying the kid is working his arse off and getting rewarded.

In the final minutes needing a 3 we got:

Joey
Karaban
Newton
Sanogo or Alleyne
Hawkins

Reaction Score
I was dead wrong on this kid, didn’t think he’d cut it in serious minutes at this level. His offensive game is much more complete than just spot up shooting, his skills are gonna keep him in the rotation. He’s giving me Kromah vibes, obviously severely different games. Staff deserves a gold star for pulling this kid outa left field.
I agree about Kromah, they are different but after that early season tourney, I thought man we are deep. Joey C has me feeling the same way about this ye tonight, we might win the whole thing.

BoukofJames

“Business. Always business.”
Reaction Score
So I called up the Captain
"Please bring me my wine"
He said, 'We haven't had that spirit here
Since 1999”
And still those voices are calling from far away
Wake you up in the middle of the night
Just to hear them say
Welcome to Joey California
Such a lovely shot (such a lovely shot)
Such a lovely shot
They livin' it up with Joey California
What a nice surprise (what a nice surprise)
Bring your alibis
With this team’s ceiling,
Put the champagne on ice
And Joey said, “we are all good shooters here,
But my stroke is nice”

Icehawk

TFG
Reaction Score
Agreed, I wasn't hot on him the first few games but he's shown real Husky spirit with max effort on the floor - his D isn't the best but he's improved it and puts in the work. I wish he'd clean up his passing a bit, he pulls an AJ like once a game but he's got good vision. His shooting... it's a delight. When he has the ball I'm thinking we've got points. 4/5 and 3/4 tonight? Yes please, may I have another?

52.9% 3p% so far. Sniper.

Reaction Score
He is what I’d expect Alex kunkle to be on a top 15 team.

And I’m only drawing that comparison as another white shooter on a big east team

Reaction Score
He is what I’d expect Alex kunkle to be on a top 15 team.

And I’m only drawing that comparison as another white shooter on a big east team
I think you mean Adam Kunkel from Xavier? At least that who he reminds me of. He is just a crafty offensive player who can hit open shots. It is nice having a team of shooters for a change. It sure makes it fun to watch.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom