JoeD and Gresh | Page 2 | The Boneyard

JoeD and Gresh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The BY, home of the most dedicated fans of the program and longtime season ticket holders, seems to be resoundingly okay with it. I trust them more than those pining for the next Tom Herman to walk in the door and turn us into Alabama.

For one, there were a lot here that were not okay with it.
Second, do you know how many of the 18,000 or so season ticket holders are actually members?
Lastly, there is that other nagging 22,000 seats that don't seem to fill on Saturdays. I will assume they will all be filled now with your take on the situation, correct?

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
It is a bit of a WTF hire, but you need to provide another reasonable, better option before you have a right to be angry about it. I guarantee that I can shoot down any other name you put up.
This hire will get us in the P5. The only reason we are not in the P5 is football. Had Edsall been the coach the last six years, us and Cincy would be playing in the Big 12. Cincy has always been #11. We are #12. Think about it. Houston goes 13-1 and starts undefeated and BYU is solidly 8-9 wins a year before they announce they are adding no one. They want us and Cincy. Would BYU and Houston be in the discussion if they had a six year stretch like us? No.

Reaction Score
No, saying he had to have donors to come in and manage the whole process and now we have Randy Edsall back. Whoopie.

His B12 presentation was apparently awful, had no ability to articulate how UConn could become relevant in college football.

You'd rather have Diaco? .

Reaction Score
So this thread has officially reached Cesspool worthiness. Did anyone actually listen to the entire interview? I had to shut it off after about four minutes. Gresh is unlistenable and it seemed like he was more interested in proving his knowledge of football rather than asking insightful questions. Any new ground?

Reaction Score
So this thread has officially reached Cesspool worthiness. Did anyone actually listen to the entire interview? I had to shut it off after about four minutes. Gresh is unlistenable and it seemed like he was more interested in proving his knowledge of football rather than asking insightful questions. Any new ground?

Gresh - "The way "we" play football now-a-days". Do they play in the TIC parking lot?

#1 PA Husky Fan

Diehard Fan of All UConn Sports Teams!
Reaction Score
Was there anything worth listening to? Being in PA, I have never listened to the show. Sounds like only noteworthy tidbits were RE here tomorrow and wants to run the spread. Must be a great interviewer?

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Season ticket holder from the beginning of the rent. Saw Edsalls teams several times at Storrs when they were in the YanCon. Very average coach and maybe it's foolish to think we can do better. I'm one of those who felt he hadn't shown we could be much better than his best teams, which is good but not special. He was fortunate Danny O was from CT and was willing to stay home. He made us more competitive right away than we had a reason to expect. RE never got another QB above very ordinary. Maybe this league is more his level, except it's wrong to see the league as downright horrible. There are some decent teams and almost all can score a lot. He tanked in MD Bend without break won't get us far if we can't score plenty.

Certainly not a hire to be doing cartwheels over. But BD had to go so I'll root for Edsall to be the right guy. Go Huskies.

Reaction Score
I listened online. Piece of cake, just go to radio.net and find WTIC 1080. No app needed.

The only thing of note he said was that he wanted to pressure the defense all over the field, side to side and vertically. That would sound exciting if Diaco hadn't said the same thing when he was hired. He also said personnel would dictate scheme and the opponent will dictate it as well. He won't pressure a QB that is great against pressure but he'll pressure one that can't handle it etc. Definitely sounded like he knows throwing is very important these days and continued to say offenses are "wide open".

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The BY, home of the most dedicated fans of the program and longtime season ticket holders, seems to be resoundingly okay with it.

That's not saying much. Anyone here expressing anything but unequivocal love has been immediately attacked by a gang of deplorables. Who needs that hassle? I haven't met one non-BY fan that has expressed anything but WTF.

Reaction Score
That's not saying much. Anyone here expressing anything but unequivocal love has been immediately attacked by a gang of deplorables. Who needs that hassle? I haven't met one non-BY fan that has expressed anything but WTF.
This is true for me to.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
For one, there were a lot here that were not okay with it.
Second, do you know how many of the 18,000 or so season ticket holders are actually members?
Lastly, there is that other nagging 22,000 seats that don't seem to fill on Saturdays. I will assume they will all be filled now with your take on the situation, correct?

Firstly, a lot is such a crazy adjective - what percentage? I will bet the majority either like or are OK with RE vs those who don't like
Second, Do you know? and what difference does that make? I will guarantee more season ticket holders are happier that Diaco is gone and will most likely renew vs Diaco staying
Lastly - who ever said that RE is going to fill the stands from the start? - I will tell you as a season ticket holder since 1965, there was more seats filled and more passion when RE was coaching vs. when PP or BD were at the helm - I will guarantee that there will be more people at the 2017 Holy Cross game than were at the 2016 Maine opener (when the gave out over 7500 FREE tickets)

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Not one?
I find that impossible - do live and work in an entirely I hate RE area?

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
You know Subba, the more I think about it the more I don't think it is a WTF hire. It facilitates the end of the Diaco era. The price is right, given our circumstances, and I'm not sure we could do much better, again given our circumstances. He's the best game day coach we've had here in 6 years and his ability to get people to NFL is proven.

I never hated the Edsall hiring, but I'm warming up to it more and more as I think about the pros/cons.

That was my conclusion as well. I wanted one of the winning FCS coaches. ODU, JMU, or WKU. I dobut any would have come here knowing that a losing season was likely. Head coaches careers depend a great deal on being in the right place at the right time with the right players. I fear the job isn't as attractive as it was when we landed Diaco.

There is also the fear of another miss on an unproven guy. If you want to say RE was hired a bit out of fear, that's not unfair.

Reaction Score
No, saying he had to have donors to come in and manage the whole process and now we have Randy Edsall back. Whoopie.

His B12 presentation was apparently awful, had no ability to articulate how UConn could become relevant in college football.

You know absolutely nothing. On what authority do you have any facts regarding the hiring process. I have yet to see any real proof that any donors ponied up cash to help with the buy out. You can easily go back and review the B12 presentation, which from most accounts was considered a first class job. But, don't let the facts get in the way of your typical rant.

Reaction Score
You know absolutely nothing. On what authority do you have any facts regarding the hiring process. I have yet to see any real proof that any donors ponied up cash to help with the buy out. You can easily go back and review the B12 presentation, which from most accounts was considered a first class job. But, don't let the facts get in the way of your typical rant.

Didn't Benedict himself say that the buyout was "privately funded"??

Reaction Score
Firstly, a lot is such a crazy adjective - what percentage? I will bet the majority either like or are OK with RE vs those who don't like
Second, Do you know? and what difference does that make? I will guarantee more season ticket holders are happier that Diaco is gone and will most likely renew vs Diaco staying
Lastly - who ever said that RE is going to fill the stands from the start? - I will tell you as a season ticket holder since 1965, there was more seats filled and more passion when RE was coaching vs. when PP or BD were at the helm - I will guarantee that there will be more people at the 2017 Holy Cross game than were at the 2016 Maine opener (when the gave out over 7500 FREE tickets)

Certainly sounded like half initially until they were beaten down. Go read the posts when the news broke.
Would that suffice for alot for you?

Second, you ask what difference it makes? He tried to imply that the majority of BYers were on board with this, therefore season ticket holders were. That's a big difference, unless he knew the percentage. Follow?

Lastly you backtrack. If the majority of fans are so overjoyed with his return then they will return to the Rent immediately. Why wouldn't they, they would have gotten what they wanted. Are you hedging? The fact is, that is the ultimate test of whether the fan base agrees with the decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom