Joe Moorhead Podcast w/ Some Uconn Talk | The Boneyard

Joe Moorhead Podcast w/ Some Uconn Talk

Reaction Score
This is the first mention of UCONN...(about the 10:00 mark)

"I think this offense was one that you saw the initial phases of at Akron, not so much at UCONN, but then when we got to Fordham and i had 51% of the vote, we really (had) the bones, or structure of what you see now"

to me, that's pretty substantive, and it's what many have said for a while

Reaction Score
This is the first mention of UCONN...(about the 10:00 mark)

"I think this offense was one that you saw the initial phases of at Akron, not so much at UCONN, but then when we got to Fordham and i had 51% of the vote, we really (had) the bones, or structure of what you see now"

to me, that's pretty substantive, and it's what many have said for a while

Yep, that's an indictment. Edsall had him in handcuffs.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
He also credits RE with teaching him how to run a program. It sounded like they had a good relationship

Reaction Score
He also credits RE with teaching him how to run a program. It sounded like they had a good relationship

We all knew Edsall forced Moorhead to be more conservative with his play calling. Edsall has always ran a clean program, and so far seems to have learned from his past mistakes. Edsall 1.0 was more of a dictatorship. He seemed to want to have control of every aspect of the team. Edsall 2.0 seems to be more willing to let the coordinators do their thing and only interject when needed

Reaction Score
Yep, that's an indictment. Edsall had him in handcuffs.
Yes, for sure, as he did with Ambrose, but I believe Edsall has evolved and seems to have more confidence in new OC Dunn—his pick—than he might have had in Lashlee, who was thrust upon him. To think we had Joe Moorhead, Todd Orlando and Don Brown here speaks very well for Edsall’s inate skill at talent evaluation with both players and coaches. That’s the only reason I haven’t jumped off the bridge yet on Billy Crocker.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
When the UConn called a timeout last year on offense, it seemed that the QB always went over to Lashlee. Edsall was not in the huddle.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Yes, for sure, as he did with Ambrose, but I believe Edsall has evolved and seems to have more confidence in new OC Dunn—his pick—than he might have had in Lashlee, who was thrust upon him. To think we had Joe Moorhead, Todd Orlando and Don Brown here speaks very well for Edsall’s inate skill at talent evaluation with both players and coaches. That’s the only reason I haven’t jumped off the bridge yet on Billy Crocker.
Crocker had less than 8 months to work with players who either did not fit his system at the time and/or buy into it, but had no other option if they wanted to keep playing on such notice.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
We all knew Edsall forced Moorhead to be more conservative with his play calling. Edsall has always ran a clean program, and so far seems to have learned from his past mistakes. Edsall 1.0 was more of a dictatorship. He seemed to want to have control of every aspect of the team. Edsall 2.0 seems to be more willing to let the coordinators do their thing and only interject when needed

It's called wisdom. Sometimes that's all you got when you get up in age!

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score

He has more confidence in Dunn than Lashlee? Or will have more control over Dunn than he had in Lashlee?

I think it’s the latter.

Husky25

Reaction Score
He has more confidence in Dunn than Lashlee? Or will have more control over Dunn than he had in Lashlee?

I think it’s the latter.

Could be both?

Reaction Score
When the UConn called a timeout last year on offense, it seemed that the QB always went over to Lashlee. Edsall was not in the huddle.
Yes, looked like HCRE let Lashlee do his thing. For the most part, the only time I recall Edsall being right there was to congratulate a player after making a great play or to get in his face after a blown play, missed assignments, missed tackle on defense, etc.

mikedog10

Tailgating Enthusiast
Reaction Score
To think we had Joe Moorhead, Todd Orlando and Don Brown here speaks very well for Edsall’s inate skill at talent evaluation with both players and coaches.

Paul Pasqualoni actually brought Don Brown to UConn... ironically enough from Maryland, where new head coach Randy Edsall was planning to retain Ralph Friedgen's staff.

Gotta give credit where it's due, hiring Brown was a great move by PP... maybe his only great move as UConn's head coach!

Reaction Score
Yes, looked like HCRE let Lashlee do his thing. For the most part, the only time I recall Edsall being right there was to congratulate a player after making a great play or to get in his face after a blown play, missed assignments, missed tackle on defense, etc.

im not sure i agree with this. If you look at the offense from the first half of the first game (admittedly a bad looking offense), up against how the offense looked for the last few games, the pace was MUCH slower. All we heard about pre season was the hurry up fast paced offense, and we didnt really get it.

I understand why it happened....the defense couldnt get off the field, but the offense never really got to do what it wanted to do, and it wasn't really given a chance to 'gel', and you have to think that was RE's doing. Despite the fact the team needed it, RL couldn't have been thrilled about it.

Husky25

Reaction Score
im not sure i agree with this. If you look at the offense from the first half of the first game (admittedly a bad looking offense), up against how the offense looked for the last few games, the pace was MUCH slower. All we heard about pre season was the hurry up fast paced offense, and we didnt really get it.

I understand why it happened....the defense couldnt get off the field, but the offense never really got to do what it wanted to do, and it wasn't really given a chance to 'gel', and you have to think that was RE's doing. Despite the fact the team needed it, RL couldn't have been thrilled about it.
I don't think the players could handle that pace. 3 & outs don't help either.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom