Joe Lunardi - UConn | The Boneyard

Joe Lunardi - UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Joe Lunardi came on live during the SMU - Memphis game last night and was asked by Mike Patrick if either UConn or Memphis would make the field if they won the remaining games on their schedule. Memphis obviously lost, but Lunardi said UConn would ABSOLUTELY be in the conversation for an at large bid if they win out. It's not over until it is over. Let's go Huskies!

Reaction Score
duh, if we win out, we win the AAC tourney and get the auto bid. I guess, if we win our last 3 and make it to the finals against a strong team with a good RPI (SMU), then we would be 22-12. That will probably get us in, but it will be close. We saw how the conference was screwed last year.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I think if we win out and make the title game in the AAC there may be a chance.

I'd think it's way more likely we win 3 in Hartford though than our last 3 regular season games though.

Reaction Score
Yea I think winning the AAC tourney is our best bet. But I used the RPI Wizard and predicted the rest of our season with winning the last 3 regular season games, and then beating Tulsa and Temple in the AAC tourney, before losing to SMU in the ship. This scenario gave us a final RPI of around 35, which is good.

Reaction Score
Be better if he were on the committee feeling this way. But it is obvious that we need to win out. He's no smarter on this subject that us Yarders.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
Has anyone actually tracked how accurate Lunardi has been over the years?

Reaction Score
Nothing news breaking.

He said both UConn and Memphis needed to win the AAC tourney to get in. Said didnt matter if both won the rest of their regular season games. Said they had too many bad losses and even said that they wouldnt be a lock to get in if they lost in the AAC final. Said they would be in the conversation for sure but the AAC tourney was the only sure bet.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
If we go 19-11 (12-6), we're likely the 4/5 seed which eliminates us from playing an extra game in the AAC Tournament. So 21-12 would be the best we can do and not win the AAC Tournament final - that's not good enough.

Reaction Score
If we win out we beat 2 tourney teams in SMU and Temple and a bubble team in Memphis. No more RPI crushers on the schedule til AACT

Reaction Score
Yea I think winning the AAC tourney is our best bet. But I used the RPI Wizard and predicted the rest of our season with winning the last 3 regular season games, and then beating Tulsa and Temple in the AAC tourney, before losing to SMU in the ship. This scenario gave us a final RPI of around 35, which is good.
Winning the AAC tourney is a sure bet.

Reaction Score
We'd be in the conversation. Our non-conf SOS would help a lot in a bubble situation (if only we had won more of the games).

Reaction Score
Am I the only one who wants to mess up Joe's helmet hair???

I love it when Seth Greenberg gives Joe grief. I don't think Seth doesn't like Joe at all from Seth's VA Tech days.

That said, UConn has played quite a few RPI Top 100 teams. We've got a few left. We just need to win some. The NCAA tends to take teams with tougher schedules, even if you don't always win them. See 2012 team & VCU a few years ago. Play a difficult schedule & you have a better chance to get in.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
We beat SMU I'll start to believe we have a shot. But I'm not too confident we will.

Reaction Score
I would like to have a hit of what Joe is smoking. The only way we get in is if we win the AAC tourney.

Reaction Score
I would like to have a hit of what Joe is smoking. The only way we get in is if we win the AAC tourney.
I know that this is the party line right now, and that we'll likely not know whether or not it is proven correct...but I just don't think this is true.

As has been said numerous times, if they win out the regular season (unlikely...but if they beat SMU it looks a lot more likely), and then get the AAC title game, they will have 21 wins, an RPI in the mid-30s, and, a SOS in the 40s, 9 RPI Top 100 wins, and an 8-2 record in the last 10. All of which would bode well.

I don't think it will happen. But if it does, they are definitely a strong bubble team.

Reaction Score

He said on Twitter today that UConn earning at-large at all would be "unlikely".

Reaction Score
Our record on the road is terrible, usually teams that can't win a thing on the road don't get an at large bid

Reaction Score
Our record on the road is terrible, usually teams that can't win a thing on the road don't get an at large bid
Our Road/Neutral record right now is 7-8. If they win out in the regular season, they'd be 8-8 (and not counting Hartford as neutral, although I think it will be officially designated so).

The 2011-12 team, for reference, was 7-9 at the end of the year. They ended with an RPI of 32 and a SOS of 2...so that differentiates them. But still.

Reaction Score
Our Road/Neutral record right now is 7-8. If they win out in the regular season, they'd be 8-8 (and not counting Hartford as neutral, although I think it will be officially designated so).

The 2011-12 team, for reference, was 7-9 at the end of the year. They ended with an RPI of 32 and a SOS of 2...so that differentiates them. But still.

Our 7 road wins are against teams that won't be in the tourney either

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC