Joe D'Ambrosio | The Boneyard

Joe D'Ambrosio

Reaction Score
Not a big fan... Distinct voice is annoying. Listening on the radio with him is tough. Just seems very vanilla and a little disjointed from the action.
His inflections when UVA scored were like, "YESSS, Virginia is in!!!!"... I'm thinking Yes! Uconn stopped them.

Have to say I think I've come to like the way Gresh calls the game. Adds some knowledge, understands the game, and is easy to listen to.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I listened to first quarter in the car. He was all over the place messing up downs, distance, spot. Pretty brutal

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The radio broadcast needs to be completely blown up.

Whoever thought putting Ken S on the sidelines was a good idea needs a different career.

Last edited:

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Joe D remains one of the most hated people ever by the Iowa State fanbase. During our 2002 game in Ames, the local TV broadcast lost it's audio signal, so they tapped in to the WTIC radio broadcast of the game during the first quarter and for the rest of the game. Joe spent the entire broadcast calling Iowa State the "Hawkeyes", which is the nickname of their most hated rival, Iowa. One ISU fan posted a message here afterward indicating he wanted to tie Joe to the rear bumper of his pickup truck and drag him all the way to Iowa City.

The guy is a complete idiot, but it's also inexcusable that no producer ever told him to correct himself during an entire game broadcast.

Reaction Score
Joe D remains one of the most hated people ever by the Iowa State fanbase. During our 2002 game in Ames, Joe spent the entire broadcast calling Iowa State the "Hawkeyes", which is the nickname of their most hated rival, Iowa. The guy is a complete idiot, but it's also inexcusable that no producer ever told him to correct himself during an entire game broadcast.
To be fair, during half time or early 3rd quarter some WTIC or UConn rep clued D'Ambrosio in on Iowa State's mascot. Things improved; there was only one more Hawkeyes' reference in the 4th quarter.

Hey, it could have been worse. The all knowing one could have called Iowa State the Panthers, mascot of the University of Northern Iowa. And, the latter Missouri Valley Conference member seems to occasionally beat ISU.

Reaction Score
Consider yourself in the minority on this topic. As a radio announcer, Joe D. Has a voice for silent movies.
True coach, but dream mentioned it that Joe has been there for all of our big moments and rejoiced with us. Maybe I'm just used to him being around so long and being on the ride with us. Heck I liked Curt Gowdy.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
True coach, but dream mentioned it that Joe has been there for all of our big moments and rejoiced with us. Maybe I'm just used to him being around so long and being on the ride with us. Heck I liked Curt Gowdy.

I think he's pretty solid, and I definitely tie all of the great moments and his voice together. Not sure what the allergic reaction is to his football calls, but then again, I'm not sure why people hated Gresh so much either...

Reaction Score
I first heard Joe D. When he was employed by Connecticut Radio Network as a sports updater. He just doesn't have a voice that's easy to listen to. When you compare him to some of his national colleagues that are easily heard on satellite broadcasts (E.G. Voices of Colorado Buffalos, OSU Buckeyes, even Pitt Panthers) there is no comparison. I have no quibble about his professionalism, just his sound.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom