Joe D. Connecticut Sportcaster of the Year | The Boneyard

Joe D. Connecticut Sportcaster of the Year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
http://the-boneyard.com/threads/joe-d-must-go.77411/

The OP of this thread was surely not on the voting committee. I like Joe D. also and not sure why this poster thought he was bad.

That OP had a personal interaction with him in which Joe came off as a jerk.

The same could be said of over 50% of anyone who knew Jim Calhoun, yet who in their right mind would argue he wasn't a fantastic coach?

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
50%?????

Go right ahead Stairmaster, keep spitting on Calhoun, smh...

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
50%?????

Go right ahead Stairmaster, keep spitting on Calhoun, smh...

How am I spitting on Calhoun? You think he's a charming guy?

Oh that's right, we're not allowed to say anything about your deity that drags down his image of "perfection". Face it, Calhoun was one of the best coaches the game of basketball has ever seen, but he was simply not a nice man.

sammydabiz

Reaction Score
(Calhoun)he was simply not a nice man.
So that's a fact huh?
Tell that to the individuals involved in the Cancer Research he helped with his donations.
Tell that to the individuals involved with Autism Awareness he helped promote.
Tell that to all his past players who showed up in Springfield Mass for his HOF induction. If he was such a bad person, he would have got half the turnout.
I can go "on and on" with this JC narrative.
Just because an individual may be rough around the edges doesn't make him absolutely unpleasant. Stating only half the people Calhoun encounters likes him because "he's not a nice man" is BS, do you know him personally?

And aren't you the same tightwad who never misses a chance to chime in if "god forbid" someone criticizes the current staff, whether it's regarding recruiting or game planning. Why don't you practice what you love to preach, and quit being a clown.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
derailment.jpg

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
So that's a fact huh?
Tell that to the individuals involved in the Cancer Research he helped with his donations.
Tell that to the individuals involved with Autism Awareness he helped promote.
Tell that to all his past players who showed up in Springfield Mass for his HOF induction. If he was such a bad person, he would have got half the turnout.
I can go "on and on" with this JC narrative.
Just because an individual may be rough around the edges doesn't make him absolutely unpleasant. Stating only half the people Calhoun encounters likes him because "he's not a nice man" is BS, do you know him personally?

And aren't you the same tightwad who never misses a chance to chime in if "god forbid" someone criticizes the current staff, whether it's regarding recruiting or game planning. Why don't you practice what you love to preach, and quit being a clown.

When's the church service? I'll join you this Sunday.

sammydabiz

Reaction Score
When's the church service? I'll join you this Sunday.
No need for church, JC is all around us... but if you need a lesson on respect lil guy, I'd be more than happy to oblige:)

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

Oh that's right, we're not allowed to say anything about your deity that drags down his image of "perfection". Face it, Calhoun was one of the best coaches the game of basketball has ever seen, but he was simply not a nice man.

On the court, perhaps, but off the court he's a great guy by all accounts. My brief personal interactions included. He's never been polished of course.

Reaction Score
Joe D has done a great job and played an important role in building the popularity of UConn basketball. However, do we really need an annual award in a field where there are only a handful of possible recipients?

Reaction Score
congrats! i don't have cbs sports, so anytime my roommates & i couldn't make it out of the house to find those games, we gathered around the radio early 20th century-style to hear joe d'ambrosio broadcast 'em. i'm a big fan!

Reaction Score
That OP had a personal interaction with him in which Joe came off as a jerk.

The same could be said of over 50% of anyone who knew Jim Calhoun, yet who in their right mind would argue he wasn't a fantastic coach?
Well that isn't being too rational. I have personally met Ray Allen on a couple occassions(went to school at the same time as him) and I personally think he is an arrogant jerk but I still respect him as an basketball player and think he was one of the best shooters ever in the NBA. I don't let my personal feelings cloud my judgement on how good someone is in their profession.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

You are an idiot saying that on this forum. I guess this is a "come to Jesus" moment: WE recognize Calhoun's flaws. He undeniably has made a huge impact directly on 300+ athletes lives; on an entire State; and has been charitable and giving in every way our State/University would choose for our Men's Basketball coach.

Congrats. Like William Rhoden, Harvey Araton, Dan Wolken, Adrian W., and lots of guys ... you can say something snide because of a soundbite or 2. We have seen a transformative career. You would only hope to be nearly as broadly successful as that man. Yes, he deserves a statue.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
You are an idiot saying that on this forum. I guess this is a "come to Jesus" moment: WE recognize Calhoun's flaws. He undeniably has made a huge impact directly on 300+ athletes lives; on an entire State; and has been charitable and giving in every way our State/University would choose for our Men's Basketball coach.

Congrats. Like William Rhoden, Harvey Araton, Dan Wolken, Adrian W., and lots of guys ... you can say something snide because of a soundbite or 2. We have seen a transformative career. You would only hope to be nearly as broadly successful as that man. Yes, he deserves a statue.

You don't know my background with this topic, nor do you realize how I am just as grateful for all JC did for this program as anyone here. What I said had nothing to do with his success on the court or with his charity work. If you would like, PM me to discuss why I said what I said -- this cleared up a disagreement I had with anther user concerning these posts.

Reaction Score
You don't know my background with this topic, nor do you realize how I am just as grateful for all JC did for this program as anyone here. What I said had nothing to do with his success on the court or with his charity work. If you would like, PM me to discuss why I said what I said -- this cleared up a disagreement I had with anther user concerning these posts.

If that is the case ... then I suggest you just zip it. Really? You think this is the place for a singular: "he's a BADDD man" type comment.

We (UConn Men's BB) are slimed by about a dozen sportswriters who also have some singular issue - I believe. They'd rather drink scotch & play ponies with the guy who has adulterous affairs under tables after hours. Calhoun is a public man that, in the totality of his record, has far more superlatives and is deserving for all the fame we can convey.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
If that is the case ... then I suggest you just zip it. Really? You think this is the place for a singular: "he's a BADDD man" type comment.

We (UConn Men's BB) are slimed by about a dozen sportswriters who also have some singular issue - I believe. They'd rather drink scotch & play ponies with the guy who has adulterous affairs under tables after hours. Calhoun is a public man that, in the totality of his record, has far more superlatives and is deserving for all the fame we can convey.

Oh, sorry sir, I guess I'll "zip it" now that I've upset you. Never said he was a "bad man". Someone says one thing about him that isn't licking his shoes and you've got your pitchfork out like a crazed zealot.

It's a beautiful day outside. Get some fresh air, man!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom