OT: - Joe Buck | The Boneyard

OT: Joe Buck

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
I don’t have strong negative feelings about the play-by-play performances of Joe Buck. But some other folk seem to. So my question is simply: “why?” What is it that he does or doesn’t do that seems to send some viewers to the brink?

I’ve been curious about this for awhile.

Reaction Score
I don’t have strong negative feelings about the play-by-play performances of Joe Buck. But some other folk seem to. So my question is simply: “why?” What is it that he does or doesn’t do that seems to send some viewers to the brink?

I just wonder what's going on with his hair.

Reaction Score

To me he is not exciting, enthusiastic or insightful. He is Captain Obvious personified. By being paired with Troy Aikman you have the most monotone duo in the business. You need only compare him and Troy to Jim Nantz and Tony Romo to get my point(s).

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I've always thought that Joe Buck comes across as a bit egotistical and vain, the exact opposite of his classic, old-school father, Jack Buck.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I've always thought that Joe Buck comes across as a bit egotistical and vain, the exact opposite of his classic, old-school father, Jack Buck.
I did not like Jack and do not like Joe.

Bliss

Mizzou Ballyhoo
Reaction Score
To me he is not exciting, enthusiastic or insightful. He is Captain Obvious personified. By being paired with Troy Aikman you have the most monotone duo in the business. You need only compare him and Troy to Jim Nantz and Tony Romo to get my point(s).

Aikman knows the game but is a terrible announcer. Rather than inflection he uses volume. Hard to listen to. I have no problem with Buck.

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
Classic case of a guy who was born on 3rd base and thinks he hit a triple!! He got his first national play-by-play gig at the age of 25, not because he was qualified but because of who his dad was. Nobody frowns on family connections but at least be humble and know that it wasn't talent that got you where you are. I turn off the volume on him.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
I don't like his delivery or his sense of humor. Not as big a problem at all when he does NFL games. It's when he does MLB games he drives me nuts. He tries to be cute and funny to fill the dead air but I just don't care for the way he does it at all.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
OK, but the “Why” is left unaddressed by your response. Not arguing, but trying to understand.
Look at iamcbs's response above. Also when Bob Costas was an up and coming talent he applied for a job on some network and did not get it. jack Buck said that Bob was new and needed to work his way up to such a position. However, later when Joe was new in the profession, Jack did not say that he was too young and needed more experience. Joe got the job. Also, I grew up listening to Harry Carey and his description of games while he was in St. Louis was as exciting as a fan could hope for. Jack was boring. He commented once that fans who were watching a game on TV that he was broadcasting were complaining that he was not describing the action on the field. His response was something like"they are watching the game just like I am." Iamcbs hit it right on the nose.

Bliss

Mizzou Ballyhoo
Reaction Score
Look at iamcbs's response above. Also when Bob Costas was an up and coming talent he applied for a job on some network and did not get it. jack Buck said that Bob was new and needed to work his way up to such a position. However, later when Joe was new in the profession, Jack did not say that he was too young and needed more experience. Joe got the job. Also, I grew up listening to Harry Carey and his description of games while he was in St. Louis was as exciting as a fan could hope for. Jack was boring. He commented once that fans who were watching a game on TV that he was broadcasting were complaining that he was not describing the action on the field. His response was something like"they are watching the game just like I am." Iamcbs hit it right on the nose.

"It might be - it could be - it IS a home run." RIP, Harry.

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score
Even as a lifelong Cowboys fan, I find Troy less exciting than a piece of Melba toast. And I agree with Milford, Buck comes off as arrogant/vain.

Pat Summerall and Tom Brookshier, they are not!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Even as a lifelong Cowboys fan, I find Troy less exciting than a piece of Melba toast. And I agree with Milford, Buck comes off as arrogant/vain.

Pat Summerall and Tom Brookshier, they are not!
Pat and Brookie made quite a duo. Summerall was a great one.

Reaction Score
I can't stand the guy- smug, arrogant, boring, monotone, limited enthusiasm much of the time, not at all warm and endearing like his Dad was.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom