Jock Jeopardy | The Boneyard

Jock Jeopardy

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
On my way home from work, our sports station did an interesting segment discussing Aaron Rodgers making his debut as Jeopardy host tonight. He'll host for the next two weeks.

Among the things discussed:
  • Trebek made $18 mill in his final year. Would Rodgers accept a "rookie contract" of say half that and then work his way up (his cap hit this year is $22-$23 mill with a salary of $14.7, so if he quit the Pack, he'd likely have to pay back some bonus $).
  • How much of Jeopardy's succeess is the game vs how much was Trebek?
  • Will "Jeopardy nerds" accept a jock as host, with the assumption that he's not as worldy as the other hosts that have been auditioning (Dr. Oz, Katie Couric, Ken Jennings, Sanjay Gupta, Anderson Cooper, Bill Whitaker, Savannah Guthrie).
  • Can Rodgers bring in new/different demographics while appealing to existing viewers?

As far as what he brings to the table, on the plus side, the hosts noted that Rodgers is a film room junkie, and he's used that to study hours of film on Trebek. He's widely acknowledged as one of the most prepared QBs in the NFL, which is an asset. However, there's no winning or losing involved, the job is game management, and that's not really Rodger's forte. Once the initial adrenaline wears off, will hosting the show year-round be exciting enough for him to be satisfied?

I'll be interested to see how he does. Of the four guest hosts who've been on so far, I give Couric the edge. Jennings is too bland, Dr. Oz is too Dr. Oz, and the other guy, Mike Richards, just isn't a TV host. There's a reason why he's a producer behind the scenes and not the star.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Aaron Rodgers is great.

Reaction Score
Rodgers sucks at the host, he is too stiff and awkward when he tries to engage, this is just not his thing, the behind the scenes producer did the best job so for.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Rodgers sucks at the host, he is too stiff and awkward when he tries to engage, this is just not his thing, the behind the scenes producer did the best job so for.
I liked the producer, too. But it's Ken's job to lose.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I don’t like watching it with the new look. Why didn’t they keep the set the same?

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
He's literate and new at this.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I'm going to disagree. He gets better every show. I thought he nailed it the time no one came up with "Green Bay Packers".

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Anderson Cooper did a nice job and Bill Whitaker is killing it, imo.

My standings to date:
1. Katie Couric
2. Bill Whitaker
3. Anderson Cooper
4. Aaron Rodgers
5. Mike Richards
6. Ken Jennings
7. Dr. Oz

Still to come:
Buzzy Cohen
Mayim Bialik
Savannah Guthrie
Sanjay Gupta
George Stephanopoulos
Robin Roberts
LeVar Burton
David Faber
Joe Buck

Not sure if they're still taking on new guest hosts, but those nine will take us into mid-September, so a decision on permanent host is still months away.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom