Joanne McCallie Has Had Enough | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Joanne McCallie Has Had Enough

Status
Not open for further replies.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Problem is that if you do not play these schools twice the options to fill out the schedule with any better quality are very limited. Most teams will not want to schedule a game with UCONN in the midst of their conference schedule.
But you can either start conference play a little later or just add more games OOC before the end of December. Only three teams in the top 25 have played only 10 games in 2014 - and a few are already at 14. Even with the exam break it has been a pretty light schedule for Uconn because they have so many conference games in 2015.

Reaction Score
I started following Joanne Palombo when she coached the Maine Black Bears. Then a big step up to MSU and a
bigger step up to Duke. Terrific overall W-L record but her teams have been rather disappointing when it's time
for the Hot Lights and the Big Stage.

Now she has cancelled future games with UConn, and I don't blame her a bit. Duke's overblown academic reputation and self-involved sense of superiority have attracted one outstanding class of recruits after another,
they start the year highly ranked, they typically win a lot...and then they meet UConn and are eviscerated year after year.

This can drive a stake through the heart of a team's confidence, esp. a young team. Joanne is really Super Competitive. Looking at this year's team & years of losses to UConn by an average of 29 points, I can hear her
before the season: "By Heaven, Geno's not beating me by 29 THIS time." And she was right - he didn't.

So as the sun sets slowly in the west, we say farewell to another Citadel of Elitism. You won't have Huskies to
kick you around anymore. Now it'll be Gamecocks!

Pray tell what facts you have to support the statement that Duke's academic reputation is "overblown"? No academic colleague of mine, present or retired, would agree with that assessment. It just sounds like something to say after an athletic contest to prove loyalty to one's home team. It is, IMO, an ill advised comment more suitable for a Giants or Jets Blog. The fact is that Duke's academic reputation is well deserved, just as UConn is becoming more and more reputable as well. What that has to do with who won last night escapes me.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
This is the one thing I don't like about this conference. There is no need for us to play SMU twice in two weeks. To be honest there's no need to play any of these teams a second time. I would rather just play them all once, with maybe a few of the teams played a second time in February providing those were the first teams when conference play began. I guess if nothing else the bench should get plenty of game experience, so the coaching staff should make a point of getting Saniya, Gabby, Kiah, and Courtney at least 20 minutes each. I always thought it would be interesting to see them play the first half with the starters and then the second half with the bench with the goal of having the bench team keep the margin the same or trying to extend it.
There's not reason for us to play them twice (except for conference obligations) but for them playing us twice is invaluable. They get to see what an elite program is like, in terms of intensity and focus, and see the rewards that investment brings in terms of fan and media support. It is huge for them. Those of us who are old enough remember that the Big East was hot mess as well back in the day, but constant exposure to an elite team allowed programs to recurit better, hire better and develop. The same will happen in AAU, if we are stuck here. SMU may be one of those programs that grow into being a power, just a Rutgers and ND did in the Big East.

Reaction Score
At least McCallie has the stones to schedule UConn - something missing in a lot of other top coaches.

Has Auriemma ever "thrown his player(s) under the bus" in a post game press conference?

He does at times but he also dives under there with them. He puts some of the responsibility on the coaching staff's shoulders. I have never seen him belittle his whole team like McCallie did at this presser. That was just plain sad!

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
But you can either start conference play a little later or just add more games OOC before the end of December. Only three teams in the top 25 have played only 10 games in 2014 - and a few are already at 14. Even with the exam break it has been a pretty light schedule for Uconn because they have so many conference games in 2015.
It is about the schedule of others with their conference schedules, not ours.

Reaction Score
She talks about rotating us out, and it was commented that it was because of her lack of success against us, but what was Duke's record against Stanford and Tennessee when they were 'rotated in'?

Reaction Score
I'm not sure you need to drag Stanford into it. None of these schools have quite the talent level of UConn - whether in depth or individually (i.e. national players of the year) - so when you combine superior coaching with better talent, you get what you get. Although they have stumbled this year, Stanford has had consistent post-season success; Duke not so much.
totally agree.....UCONN team has had consistently a higher talent pool than the other teams though it has not won every championship....It is easier to coach a bunch of talented players. That is why this year, I rather respect OSU, Texas and Washington.....

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
At least McCallie has the stones to schedule UConn - something missing in a lot of other top coaches.

Has Auriemma ever "thrown his player(s) under the bus" in a post game press conference?

Yes. Just ask Tina Charles about her view of the bottom of the bus after the Elite Eight loss to LSU.

Reaction Score
There's not reason for us to play them twice (except for conference obligations) but for them playing us twice is invaluable. They get to see what an elite program is like, in terms of intensity and focus, and see the rewards that investment brings in terms of fan and media support. It is huge for them. Those of us who are old enough remember that the Big East was hot mess as well back in the day, but constant exposure to an elite team allowed programs to recurit better, hire better and develop. The same will happen in AAU, if we are stuck here. SMU may be one of those programs that grow into being a power, just a Rutgers and ND did in the Big East.

Agreed- There are just SO many top HS prospects in Texas, it's ridiculous. For those who want to "stay home" and for whatever reasons may not want to play at Baylor, Texas or A&M (too much competition for spots, playing time, don't like the coaches, whatever), the options of Houston or SMU may be tempting, with UConn's presence on the schedule an added plus. Could make the AAC strong- though years will be required. For UConn, I don't like at all the vast geographical spread of the member schools and all the travel that entails (for players and fans). It's got to be exhausting. Though I'd like to see UConn in a major conference (regularly beating the crap out of the "bigs"), I think as long as we have a very strong OOC schedule our kids may actually benefit from NOT having to play a killer game almost every time out, with enough challenging games to keep the kids sharp and healthy. I thought, in a paranoid moment perhaps, that there was something other than the fear factor motivating McCallie to drop UConn- Duke thinking that perhaps if other top OOC opponents also drop UConn, they could hurt us- in ways they have been unable to do competitively on the basketball court.

Reaction Score
McCallie talked about rotating and over-rotating. The truth is she has grown weary of her team looking ordinary against UConn year after year. I also think she doesn't want to help UConn beef up its schedule so she can use the weak conference against UConn in recruiting.

Asked if she would resume the series at some point, McCallie said: "I think so. We were with Stanford for a while and rotated out of that series. We were with Tennessee for a while and rotated out of that series. Since I've been here, Connecticut has been our longest series by far. So without question we would.

"We're still trying to figure out who we're going to rotate in. I think we over-rotated this year. Our schedule is too hard. This team has not responded in a way I would have liked them too. So probably we won't be doing this again, the December thing."

No wonder they lost, with all that rotating the Blue Devils' heads were spinning :p

Reaction Score
Now she has cancelled future games with UConn, and I don't blame her a bit. Duke's overblown academic reputation and self-involved sense of superiority have attracted one outstanding class of recruits after another,
they start the year highly ranked, they typically win a lot...and then they meet UConn and are eviscerated year after year.

She hasn't "cancelled" future games because there were none scheduled. I don't doubt that the series will resume in a few years. No OC team is obligated to play UConn year in and year out.
Also, Duke's academic reputation, which is outstanding, is well deserved.

Reaction Score
I think we have Louisville and Rutgers coming back onto the schedule next year, so that's not a bad replacement for Duke and whoever.

Reaction Score
I will be surprised if Duke does not finish with the strongest schedule this year; there is no shame in easing up slightly.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Agreed- There are just SO many top HS prospects in Texas, it's ridiculous. For those who want to "stay home" and for whatever reasons may not want to play at Baylor, Texas or A&M (too much competition for spots, playing time, don't like the coaches, whatever), the options of Houston or SMU may be tempting, with UConn's presence on the schedule an added plus. Could make the AAC strong- though years will be required. For UConn, I don't like at all the vast geographical spread of the member schools and all the travel that entails (for players and fans). It's got to be exhausting. Though I'd like to see UConn in a major conference (regularly beating the crap out of the "bigs"), I think as long as we have a very strong OOC schedule our kids may actually benefit from NOT having to play a killer game almost every time out, with enough challenging games to keep the kids sharp and healthy. I thought, in a paranoid moment perhaps, that there was something other than the fear factor motivating McCallie to drop UConn- Duke thinking that perhaps if other top OOC opponents also drop UConn, they could hurt us- in ways they have been unable to do competitively on the basketball court.
I think it may be as simple as the games being lopsided enough that she doesn't feel like her kids get much out of them, plus the annual butt kicking may not enhance her her overall employability, leaving her as 'also ran' rather than elite coach. Also her current schedule might be leaving too little a margin for the tourney, notwithstanding the RPI boost.

I don't think it is personal or aimed at impacting us in the least.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Just as an FYI, the B1G, PAC 12 and Big 12 all play 18 game schedules. Only in the Big 12 does it mean everyone plays everyone twice. The SEC and ACC play 16 which does allow for 2 more OOC games.

While I also would like to see 16 as the norm for all conferences, I don't think that 18 per se (or playing each team twice, for that matter) is a significant reason for complaint.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
Pray tell what facts you have to support the statement that Duke's academic reputation is "overblown"? No academic colleague of mine, present or retired, would agree with that assessment. It just sounds like something to say after an athletic contest to prove loyalty to one's home team. It is, IMO, an ill advised comment more suitable for a Giants or Jets Blog. The fact is that Duke's academic reputation is well deserved, just as UConn is becoming more and more reputable as well. What that has to do with who won last night escapes me.
Duke showed it's colors when how many- 100-200 professors signed statements/petitions against their own lacrosse team before anyone had any facts or proof. They hung the entire team and program out to dry with zero evidence. Institution of higher learning- unfortunately, most of the "esteemed" universities would have done the same thing. I heard the rugby coach was coach "K's" best friend. I wonder if he even tried to slow down the lynch mob against those young athletes, that never got their chance to play for a National Championship?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Duke showed it's colors when how many- 100-200 professors signed statements/petitions against their own lacrosse team before anyone had any facts or proof. They hung the entire team and program out to dry with zero evidence. Institution of higher learning- unfortunately, most of the "esteemed" universities would have done the same thing. I heard the rugby coach was coach "K's" best friend. I wonder if he even tried to slow down the lynch mob against those young athletes, that never got their chance to play for a National Championship?

Brother has degrees from Cornell, Columbia and Duke. As to Duke: Says he could have mailed the Duke one in "as it were."

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Probably best not to keep bringing up the Duke lacrosse case, which I'm sure the school would rather it be left to the continuing courtroom actions to sort out. However, you slice it, an event where a team had an alcohol blast with hired strippers is not something that the Duke academia was understandably too thrilled about, and I know if my college coach had heard that his athletes were involved with something like that, we would have been kicked off the team immediately.

No, the criminal proceedings were a nightmarish mess driven by lies and it should have handled by college disciplinary proceedings once the questionable nature of the accuser was ascertained, but the athletes were certainly involved in something that Duke is not proud of.

Reaction Score
I heard as Duke's bus was pulling away from the XL Center last night, Coach McCallie opened a window, stuck her head out, and yelled "I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take this anymore!"

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
Probably best not to keep bringing up the Duke lacrosse case, which I'm sure the school would rather it be left to the continuing courtroom actions to sort out. However, you slice it, an event where a team had an alcohol blast with hired strippers is not something that the Duke academia was understandably too thrilled about, and I know if my college coach had heard that his athletes were involved with something like that, we would have been kicked off the team immediately.

No, the criminal proceedings were a nightmarish mess driven by lies and it should have handled by college disciplinary proceedings once the questionable nature of the accuser was ascertained, but the athletes were certainly involved in something that Duke is not proud of.
DR- why shouldn't we bring this up. This was also injustice? What those student athletes did was no different than what most or many many kids, and fraternities do every weekend at most every university. Those kids were guilty & criminals once the accusations started. I hope everyone of those kids gets a boat load of money from Duke- they deserve it. That was a travesty of justice- like every other rush to judgement is. Almost every professor I believe was on board with the blacklisting of these students. Most universities are very liberal in nature. But it's interesting whose first amendment rights are important, and what groups don't deserve those same rights. This will end my Duke commentary- before I end up in the dreaded sesspool- again!!!! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom